Summer transfer thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

Would he walk into our first team blindfolded? Based on what I saw when we played Ipswich, absolutely. That game was probably the conformation Leam need that the midfield had to be upgraded. He knows what he’s getting with Morsy, a leader, proven performer at Championship level, a player who rarely if ever gets injured. At an age where he is at his peak and should be for the next two seasons.

The financials are the only stumbling block really, but this is the reality of Championship football and signing proven Championship players. They don’t cost peanuts.

Can’t see what all this obsession is with ex players move on now sign some young hungry players that will get better over time. It’s going to be a massive ask for us to stay up. What we have to do,is stay up at all costs. We definitely need some pace in the team. And your not going to get that signing players over 30

Can’t see what all this obsession is with ex players move on now sign some young hungry players that will get better over time. It’s going to be a massive ask for us to stay up. What we have to do,is stay up at all costs. We definitely need some pace in the team. And your not going to get that signing players over 30

Morsy has never had any pace to start with. As far as us staying up or not I really dont know what to expect yet as no one knows what our budget we will be

No one knows what Mr Al Jasmi's ambitions are for this season or indeed how wealthy a man he is.I'm happy to see how the close season pans out and I must admit I always enjoy reading all the transfer rumours and who we are linked with

The difference with resigning Kipre is that i feel we could get him either for free or really cheap. West Brom are into second year of their parachute payment money and will need to start trimming back on their wage bill soon. Kipre didnt play for Albion during his first season there in Premier League, was on loan at Charleroi in Belgium and only played 14 times under Valerien Ismael before Bruce came in so it seems like it wasnt just a situation where only Bruce didnt rate him.

I have said before, if Kipre is in the lower tier of the reported wage band of 9.5 to 14k a week that i have seen across certain sources he would fit into our pay structure. So long as we could cover the wages in full, i believe we could get Kipre on a free as West Brom probably arent expecting anyone to pay a decent sized transfer fee for him. It would be a similar situation to last season when we got McLean on a free from Stoke.

Even if it hasnt worked out for Kipre at WBA, they are a club with PL promotion ambitions. We on the other hand are just targeting Championship survival next season. There are probably clubs at bottom end of Championship who Kipre could get a game at alongside ourselves who like ourselves are going to have targets very different to West Brom. Kipre did it for us at Championship level before too. That said, im also open to looking for CB signings without a Latics connection as alternatives to Kipre too.

Morsy on the other hand is going to command a big transfer fee. After all the shenanigans Ipswich had in sacking Cook last season, i just dont see them letting their captain go when they are preparing for the upcoming season when they are in a good position for automatic promotion under Kieran McKenna. They will want as smooth an off season with minimum disruption as possible.

Morsy also has two years left on his deal at Ipswich, which will also increase the transfer fee. Heard his wages are 10k a week as well. So we would have to match that (which would make him probably our joint highest earner alongside Wyke). In addition we would have to pay a transfer fee probably around 3 million minimum given he will be a vital component in their side and as mentioned above they wont want to sell or have disruption to their pre season preparation.

IF Morsy was at end of his Ipswich contract and available on a FREE, i would take him back absolutely no problem as he has shown he can do it for us in the Championship. But id rather given all the circumstances mentioned above use that potential 3 million transfer fee we could be paying for Morsy to go on wages for good quality free agents.

Players who have been let go by top half Championship clubs who are still lower to mid quality Championship players in standard. The transfer fee for Morsy could go on paying loan fees for some good PL loanees. If we were to give Man City a 250k loan fee for Gavin Bazunu for a season loan for example.

I like Morsy and in different circumstances i would be happy to take him back. But i fear the circumstances this time might work against us. As a result, I think we should pursue other midfielders on the market.

Last edited:

Experienced, older players can be 'hungry' as well - Power and McClean are 28 and 33 respectively, both former players and they did alright this past season. If Morsy feels like he has unfinished business here like they did then I doubt you'll see a hungrier player in the squad next season regardless of age.

I don't really agree that centre-mids need pace necessarily. Ball-control, ball-retention and distribution surely matters most and I always thought Morsy was pretty good in that department.

There seems to be more positive than negative posts on here re Morsy compared to Facebook. I said no last night elsewhere but now I'm undecided.

There seems to be more positive than negative posts on here re Morsy compared to Facebook. I said no last night elsewhere but now I'm undecided.
Leam has worked with him for 3 years, he knows him more than any of us do, if he wants him then I’m all for it to be honest, he outclassed our midfield when we played Ipswich, he is an upgrade, only thing what reserves me if Ipswich will allow him to leave for a decent fee, considering his age and all.

don’t want that Judas back celebrating like that when he scored against the team he says he loves. Stay at Ipswich. Run your contract out and go to chesterfield with your mate

don’t want that Judas back celebrating like that when he scored against the team he says he loves. Stay at Ipswich. Run your contract out and go to chesterfield with your mate

That's really out of order pal, Morsy is not a Judas at all, he just did what the rest did to secure his future. He was an excellent servant and didn't leave under a cloud, so doesn't deserve any flack. Apart from all that, we don't even know if he wants to move again or come back.

Yes how dare he celebrate scoring a goal for the club that pays him!!Appalling behaviour!!

That's really out of order pal, Morsy is not a Judas at all, he just did what the rest did to secure his future. He was an excellent servant and didn't leave under a cloud, so doesn't deserve any flack. Apart from all that, we don't even know if he wants to move again or come back.
Like jumping about like he won the World Cup Zakky when he scored that’s was a awful thing to do showed his true colours that day

I'm wondering is if Morsy has a release clause. When he signed for Ipswich he apparently didn't want to drop into L1, so it wouldn't shock me if he and his agent insisted on a clause that if Ipswich failed to get promotion and a Championship club came in for him he could leave for a set fee.

Maybe despite Morsy doing well, the new manager wants to raise money and clear space on the wage bill to bring in his own men. He might be happy to sacrifice Morsy as he wants to go in a different direction and has said to his agent see what is out there for him.

Or maybe Morsy personally doesn't want to be in L1, doesn't like living in the area and wants to move back north.

I can't see us targeting Morsy at his age and price range unless we've been given some type of encouragement that there is a deal to be done at a reasonable fee.

Think it wii be just paper talk we are overloaded with them sort of players already unless we are having a clear out it’s pace we need. Not sideway passers

Some of the best midfield players ever had no pace...Johnny Giles, Billy Bremner, Trevor Brooking, Graham Souness, and on and on.....the list is endless. Football brain is where it's at and not pace.