Summer transfer thread | Page 110 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

Will be interesting to see if any free agent Midfielders are training with the club.
Might see a few on trial / playing in behind closed door friendlies / for the Under 23s

Re Edmonds-Green
He would have a to be a standout performer to overcome this glowing commentary (Luke Mbete on loan from Manchester City).
https://www.htafc.com/news/2022/september/loan-luke-mbete-joins-from-man-city/
Plus Huddersfield also signed Michał Helik from Barnsley
https://www.htafc.com/news/2022/september/signing-michal-helik-joins-town/

Hopefully, a lad with something to prove and improves the squad.

Last edited:
Scully’s interview claims that he was aware of Wigan’s interest since the end of last season …so whilst we have waited a while to ‘press the button’ it appears that interest was not as sudden or desperate as is being supposed

We were linked with Scully last January window.
As has been said he was quite down the line with Blackpool but they were waiting for a sale to afford him. But as that was only done very late in the window we obviously nipped in earlier and got the deal done.

Couple of good little clips from Scully- he doesn't half love cutting inside on his right and curling into into the top far corner. Those type of goals are normally quite impressive but he seems to do them all the time. Let's hope he gets some starts!

Goal and an assist against Oxford 2 weeks ago.

2 goals and 3 assists against Cambridge last season:

With our lack of attacking options from right wing back, Edwards may have a route back into the team. He used to play there (i think he also played left wign back too) for Peterborough and looked sensational a few years ago. We've never used him there yet, but i think he'd be more suited to that than being a traditional winger.

Not a bad shout Edwards at right wing back. If we do try that, Scully could play as an attacking left wing back in the 3-4-2-1 formation. I looked at his transfermarket page and it did show Scully as having played on the left side for Lincoln last season. Which then allows us to use McClean as more of an impact sub as he is getting on now and i think we can see why Stoke let him go when he was with them in the Championship last.

If we do have to sacrifice someone for some further buys in January then actually its probably looking like Tom Pearce. Doesnt seem to be fancied by Leam, in the 4-2-3-1 we have both Bennett and McClean who can fill in at left back and potentially Scully and McClean who can play as left wing backa in a 3-4-2-1. So id argue Pearce is now surplus to requirements and there was talk of an exit in the summer window on deadline day. Might be one of those where we loan out with a loan fee and all his wages paid in full. Then in summer of 2023 if he does well out on loan we look to sell with a permanent deal.

As me and others have alluded to, i wouldnt be surprised if there is a midfielder who we bring in. We can take free agents on trial and sign them anytime. I suggested Luongo but there might be some others too who we can have a look at. I know we are probably thinking get to January with Cousins hopefully back fit and we can address the problem in midfield then. However, given his injury record that is risky and any more injuries in midfield and we are then in dangerous territory. Smith to me could have done with a League Two loan and some first team senior experience.

Anyhows, we have what we have now and thats it until January. Crucially we have two loan spots still available which is the main thing in case of needs must signings in January window. Off to Luton tomorrow and hopefully the new signings will feature and fingers crossed for 3 points! Up The Tics!

I do worry for Scully, not only because of circumstances of his signing, but mainly because I don't see where his gametime comes from. Now it should be on the left-wing in a 4-2-3-1 formation, but McClean is one of Leam's favourites and I can't see him being dropped. He should be pushed into LB and Scully LW, but I can't see a naturally defensive manager in Leam doing it. As for the 3 at the back formation, I don't see at all where Scully fits into that system.

REG is a different story, it's clear where his gametime will come from and he should get plenty of it.
If this fella has some pace then simply leave McClean on the bench where he could be a match changer as an impact sub.
Above all if he is a good winger hopefully we see him playing there and not wasted like others playing too deep and in the middle of the park. A wing hugging winger would be a treat, particularly if we played with two strikers.

Alan Nixon saying Oxford want Pearce on loan in January. It's a shame that didn't happen before deadline day as I think him going to Oxford for a few months would've been perfect to get his form back on track playing every week.

There is absolutely a good player in Pearce but he's never found any form since he returned from his injury. It doesn't help he's never been able to have a good run of starts but to it's been hard to give him those starts when he's not played well when given a chance.

But with McClean struggling at the moment I think Pearce is probably due a chance soon. He's got a superb delivery and we've been crying out for that.

Alan Nixon saying Oxford want Pearce on loan in January. It's a shame that didn't happen before deadline day as I think him going to Oxford for a few months would've been perfect to get his form back on track playing every week.

There is absolutely a good player in Pearce but he's never found any form since he returned from his injury. It doesn't help he's never been able to have a good run of starts but to it's been hard to give him those starts when he's not played well when given a chance.

But with McClean struggling at the moment I think Pearce is probably due a chance soon. He's got a superb delivery and we've been crying out for that.
You get the feeling Pearce's career here is at a sliding doors stage now, if he gets an opportunity in the next 6 to 12 months that he takes then he could be a long term option. But if he doesn't get the opportunity or he doesn't take it then he'll be out of the door permanently by next summer.