Summer Transfer Thread 2021 | Page 17 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread 2021

Transfer insider Alan Nixon has provided an update on Blackpool’s pursuits of former loanees Jordan Gabriel and Elliot Embleton.

Gabriel returned to Nottingham Forest following the Tangerines’ win at Wembley against Lincoln City in the play-off final but has been linked with a return to Bloomfield Road and a temporary switch to Sunderland.
Similarly, Academy of Light graduate Eliot Embleton returned to Sunderland following Blackpool’s promotion.
However, Pool manager Neil Critchley is said to be keen on securing the 22-year-old attacking midfielder's return to the club.
In a potential boost to Sunderland’s chances of signing Gabriel, Nixon said of Blackpool’s interest to the UTMP podcast: “Nottingham Forest are saying ‘Wait a minute, he’s helped you, you’re in the Championship and therefore you’re a rival club. We want a Championship price.’

“And other clubs are saying ‘We might do that, he looks ok'”.
And of Black cats man Embleton, Nixon added: “When he joined you’d have thought Sunderland were going up and they didn’t, and they’re in League One.
“He’s back there, and they’re saying ‘Wait a minute, you’re in the Championship, you’ve got more money coming in than we’ve got coming, so you can pay for him. I know he’s got a year left but we’re not going to cut the price, so you’ve got to give us some money.’”

It's only when you watch the final again that you realise how much of a role he had in both goals..
That is so true. He really has a lot of influence and can be really a ominous for large parts of the game, perhaps you could say that about a lot of forward players. Struggles to hit a barn door from open play

I wouldn't necessarily push the boat out for Embleton....

I don't disagree, but I think we need some more creativity in that final third. I've said before that whilst I think he (Embleton) did ok, I think the type of player he is just made the biggest difference - getting on the ball and getting your head up and looking for the pass.

We've got a lot of pacey players (CJ and Mitchell being the prime examples) and some good holding midfielders (Dougall and Stewart) but no-one who can really pick a pass and dictate the game at the minute.

Hopefully Carey turns into that player, and maybe Anderson has the ability to do it in spurts, but an Embleton-type player is still missing I think.

In evolutionary terms the missing link between League 1 and the Premiership would be a Charlie Adam type.

In evolutionary terms the missing link between League 1 and the Premiership would be a Charlie Adam type.
But not to build the whole team around them. CJ was massive for its until his injury in hoping he is as influential this season but the full season.

The loans could still fill the voids. Howe and Luballa are still on the books and I'm thinking thornilly did enough for Critch to keep?

You would assume that there's another couple of loans on the way somewhere, plus maybe 1-2 "big" permanent signing?

Was hoping to hear something from the papers today. Looks like we will start the new campaign with no recognised RB and probably weaker than last season.