Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 87 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

Being serious, I think he'd be another excellent signing. The same people who moaned about letting Powell go are moaning that we're signing a talented footballer with a history of injuries... It's near enough a like for like swap, though I'd wager McLeod wouldn't be getting as much money as Powell was offered.

I'm like a broken record, but I don't care. I'll say it again. We're a small club with bugger all to spend on wages. We don't get to sign proven 'names'. We have to gamble on players with ability despite there being a risk. If we keep this lad fit, he could be a genius buy. If he's injured all the time, we may lose the gamble, but those risks I can deal with. Splashing big money that we don't have is still a risk (Boselli comes to mind...) and puts the future of the club in much greater jeopardy than risking what we can afford to lose with lads like McLeod.
Well let's hope a club spokesman comes out to the media and tells the honest truth then that we have little or no budget for signing players and paying out wages hence we can only look for loan signings, bargain basement players, youngsters, crocks or may even play a few of our own club raised young professionals.
If so great, I could accept that and would just get on with it.
However, there is no spokesman, no news, and definitely no pre season PR or inspirational marketing to go with no players.

Just hoping we can get MacLeod over the line today. Would be nice if we can get him and a couple more in place before the Bradford game.

Its been a frustrating summer for all but one thing it is demonstrating is just how tough signing players is these days. In days gone by someone like Gallagher who is a cast off at a lower PL club would cost no more than a million, maybe even half a million tops. The huge new tv deal and disproportionate funding between the Greed League and the rest of the Football League is now meaning even for their fringe players Southampton are pricing Gallagher out of the market.

Plus agents getting involved in transfers seldom helps, i have always disliked Mendes but the very fact that he is now in essence controlling famous football clubs such as Nottingham Forest and Benfica makes me sick to the stomach. I would hate an agent to do that to us.

Hopefully we can look at the Brentford model going forward, i accept its probably more difficult for us than them as they are a London club. However, Barnsley also follow this model so we might as well give it a go too.

Hopefully this time next week things will start looking brighter on the transfers front.

There are a lot of free loans from all clubs , i think wages are killing the game now .
Owners are just not prepared to throw money away any more and i don`t blame them

If you look at the clubs business we aren't the only club who have had a hard window. If you look through the other 23 some are having nightmares and i'd say 4 clubs are considerly better off now than they were as the season shut and 10 are probably in a worse position with the rest about the same or marginally better. This is probably the hardest window i've ever seen for everyone - the money paid by the top clubs in wages makes it so difficult for players to drop down even if they are surplus as no one can afford them. The top clubs are littered with players who aren't in their plans and would do well elsewhere but were given such a high wage when they signed that they sit in the stands rather than take a 50%+ pay cut. We sold a L1 striker and a centre half who had a nightmare in the champ for the best part of 10m last season - the game has gone mad and trying to operate without also spending ourselves beyond our means is no easy ask.

Barnsley had the best defence in L1 last season and have lost their keeper and both centre backs and will possibly lose top scorer Moore too before the window shuts. They've signed a pile of players who are completely untested at this level. Step up is hard enough as it is without losing your best players.

Birmingham has lost their top scoere, most creative player and their captain and best centre back and manager and put their no.2 in charge and haven't got any replacements. Massively weaker.

Blackburn lost their keeper and signed 2 big name but aging midfielders who may be past their sell by date. Stronger if the old timers come but but Dack apparently wants to leave which will decimate them.

Brentford have had a lot of ins and outs basically sold and replaced their keeper and centre halfs. I think they are probably stronger at the moment.

Bristol City has spent loads but it was funded by selling Kelly for a daft fee. Stronger.

Cardiff coming down with a good team for this level and added a couple of decent but modest signings. Not throwing money about but stronger.

Charlton lost 2 key players in defence and attack tried to replace them but with untried players at this level. Probably weaker not ideal when you are trying to step up.

Derby lost a couple of aging first teamers and manager and only just made their only signing by by gazumping us on Dowell. Certainly not stronger. Not spent a penny yet. FFP probably a issue.

Fulham - no in and no outs. Coming down with a decent team but not spent a penny.

Huddersfield - coming down with a decent side, signed a few foreign players and frees and lost a couple.

Hull - lost best keeper and both main strikers, brought in Eaves and dodgy QPR keeper - weaker.

Leeds - signed a pile of new players funded by selling a young lad to Spurs for 10m and arguably their best CB to Brentford. Probably stronger.

Luton sold 2 of their best player to Prem sides, signed 3 lads that we have had or on trial and decided against. Probably weaker overall.

Boro lost some older players and signed 1 and changed to unproven manager- not really any stronger.

Signed Fielding who we apparently passed on, giant Matt Smith who is certainly a handful but with a poor goal scoring record and decent winger on loan but lost a few including their top scorer. Not really stronger considering they were lucky to survive.

Forest signing like mad and changing manager - stronger as they just keep adding to a bloated squad. Literally have about 40 players.

Preston - signed a good centre back but lost best player. At the moment you have to say weaker.

QPR - lost a number of first teamers due to FFP wages and sold their best player to Sheff U. New manager has signed a fair few - some decent but unspectacular. Not sure if they are any stronger considering they were another lucky to not go down.

Reading lost 4 or 5 key players who were on loan and one of their other better strikers who scored crucial goals to keep them up wants to leave. Signed no one - massively weaker considering they were yet another to be lucky to stay up.

Sheff Wed - huge squad on huge wages, flirting with FFP breach and just lost Bruce. Couple of freebie signings and released a few. No stronger.

Stoke - spent modestly but done some smart frees - stronger.

Swansea - lost best player to Man U and lost their manager to Brighton, likely to lose best striker too. Only signed a decent left back on a free - much weaker despite having parachute money.

West Brom - new manager, a young lad from Benfica on loan and Rondon come back (unlikely to prob stay though) with best centre back and top scorer leaving. Weaker despite having parachute money.

If you look at the clubs business we aren't the only club who have had a hard window. If you look through the other 23 some are having nightmares and i'd say 4 clubs are considerly better off now than they were as the season shut and 10 are probably in a worse position with the rest about the same or marginally better. This is probably the hardest window i've ever seen for everyone - the money paid by the top clubs in wages makes it so difficult for players to drop down even if they are surplus as no one can afford them. The top clubs are littered with players who aren't in their plans and would do well elsewhere but were given such a high wage when they signed that they sit in the stands rather than take a 50%+ pay cut. We sold a L1 striker and a centre half who had a nightmare in the champ for the best part of 10m last season - the game has gone mad and trying to operate without also spending ourselves beyond our means is no easy ask.

Barnsley had the best defence in L1 last season and have lost their keeper and both centre backs and will possibly lose top scorer Moore too before the window shuts. They've signed a pile of players who are completely untested at this level. Step up is hard enough as it is without losing your best players.

Birmingham has lost their top scoere, most creative player and their captain and best centre back and manager and put their no.2 in charge and haven't got any replacements. Massively weaker.

Blackburn lost their keeper and signed 2 big name but aging midfielders who may be past their sell by date. Stronger if the old timers come but but Dack apparently wants to leave which will decimate them.

Brentford have had a lot of ins and outs basically sold and replaced their keeper and centre halfs. I think they are probably stronger at the moment.

Bristol City has spent loads but it was funded by selling Kelly for a daft fee. Stronger.

Cardiff coming down with a good team for this level and added a couple of decent but modest signings. Not throwing money about but stronger.

Charlton lost 2 key players in defence and attack tried to replace them but with untried players at this level. Probably weaker not ideal when you are trying to step up.

Derby lost a couple of aging first teamers and manager and only just made their only signing by by gazumping us on Dowell. Certainly not stronger. Not spent a penny yet. FFP probably a issue.

Fulham - no in and no outs. Coming down with a decent team but not spent a penny.

Huddersfield - coming down with a decent side, signed a few foreign players and frees and lost a couple.

Hull - lost best keeper and both main strikers, brought in Eaves and dodgy QPR keeper - weaker.

Leeds - signed a pile of new players funded by selling a young lad to Spurs for 10m and arguably their best CB to Brentford. Probably stronger.

Luton sold 2 of their best player to Prem sides, signed 3 lads that we have had or on trial and decided against. Probably weaker overall.

Boro lost some older players and signed 1 and changed to unproven manager- not really any stronger.

Signed Fielding who we apparently passed on, giant Matt Smith who is certainly a handful but with a poor goal scoring record and decent winger on loan but lost a few including their top scorer. Not really stronger considering they were lucky to survive.

Forest signing like mad and changing manager - stronger as they just keep adding to a bloated squad. Literally have about 40 players.

Preston - signed a good centre back but lost best player. At the moment you have to say weaker.

QPR - lost a number of first teamers due to FFP wages and sold their best player to Sheff U. New manager has signed a fair few - some decent but unspectacular. Not sure if they are any stronger considering they were another lucky to not go down.

Reading lost 4 or 5 key players who were on loan and one of their other better strikers who scored crucial goals to keep them up wants to leave. Signed no one - massively weaker considering they were yet another to be lucky to stay up.

Sheff Wed - huge squad on huge wages, flirting with FFP breach and just lost Bruce. Couple of freebie signings and released a few. No stronger.

Stoke - spent modestly but done some smart frees - stronger.

Swansea - lost best player to Man U and lost their manager to Brighton, likely to lose best striker too. Only signed a decent left back on a free - much weaker despite having parachute money.

West Brom - new manager, a young lad from Benfica on loan and Rondon come back (unlikely to prob stay though) with best centre back and top scorer leaving. Weaker despite having parachute money.
And what about us then

And what about us then

We are inevitably weaker as the best player in the championship has gone back to Chelsea and Powell and the loans have left. No one is arguing we need players and if the window shuts without them we will have issues. The point was people are getting upset we haven't been able to get our players in yet but it's not a Wigan Athletic exclusive issue - lots of clubs are suffering in the same way. The club is trying, as are all the others but it's really difficult unless we are going to fork out excessive fees and wages that puts the club at risk. Everyone is concerned until we get the new faces in, but it's not like the club are sitting back and not noticing - we've apparently been outbid and gazumped for numerous players and even a 34 year old full back like Hutton who you'd think would be an easy get at this age, WBA with parachute money and Scottish giants Rangers are trying to get him. It shows how tough the market is this year competative.

Most clubs are going to be maxing out their 5 loans before the window shuts and deadline day is going to be mental for all the clubs.

Last edited:
Plus agents getting involved in transfers seldom helps, i have always disliked Mendes but the very fact that he is now in essence controlling famous football clubs such as Nottingham Forest and Benfica makes me sick to the stomach. I would hate an agent to do that to us.

This was an interesting read, We get a mention a few paragraphs in, I do wonder how much being treated as a pawn by Mendes has disrupted out recruitment.

https://www.tugascout.com/news/2019...1TIPOZNIyipwOCidmrRU6qr93mnZRKM70hlGn7ubd3RXg

To be fair we may not have been a pawn, just a genuine alternative as O'Neil had no interest. And Forest chairman saw he was about to lose a good thing to us and did what was required to retain the partnership.

I'm far more cynical King, I reckon it was a definite manipulation to force his own agenda and we were a convenient patsy to exploit.

I'm far more cynical King, I reckon it was a definite manipulation to force his own agenda and we were a convenient patsy to exploit.

Absolutely - it certainly could be. But if Forest didn't change direction we could have had the partnership as Benfica and Mendes want that shop window in the CHampionship, so i think probably a bit of both

Antonee Robinson left out of Everton travelling squad on next leg of preseason tour. They took everyone (even players with no chance of getting in their first team Connolly and Begiame) so unless he picked up an injury we dont know about then he will be almost certainly freed up to go out at least on loan if not sold.

Fingers crossed we could have some good news. Knowing our luck watch Digne or Baines get a serious injury and then cancel the move to us at the last second!

Also noticed Pennington is in the squad - was Ipswich POTY last season and a lad we've previously been linked with. Could be a decent and realistic shout for CB gap we have. I thought he was going to Stoke but they got Lindsay from Barnsley instead.

Another name in the Everton squad i saw was Fraser Hornby a young striker Nixon mentioned we wanted in the middle of last season. Big strong lad, with good goal scoring record for the reserves / youth so might see something come from that later in the window.