Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 65 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

I believe he was working on the football DNA project that Jimmy Walker was leading on?!

However it does sound like Andy Warrington is out in Spain.

Spoke to my unreliable guy again. Next signings to be those who impressed in Spain mid to end of next week.

Spoke to my unreliable guy again. Next signings to be those who impressed in Spain mid to end of next week.

So we had 4 trialists in Spain, one was Shaw, one was the left sided CB which could be Ben Nugent or Bailey Cargill, then Ben Whitfield a winger/attacking midfielder has been a possible rumour. The Norwich and Sheffield Weds games will be interesting re formations and any trialists.

So we had 4 trialists in Spain, one was Shaw, one was the left sided CB which could be Ben Nugent or Bailey Cargill, then Ben Whitfield a winger/attacking midfielder has been a possible rumour. The Norwich and Sheffield Weds games will be interesting re formations and any trialists.
Yeah we’ll learn more from them. I would guess the ones he was about were Shaw and LCB. Only possibly Cargill being that CB. As far as i’m aware we haven’t been explicitly linked. People have just picked up on when I mentioned what i’d heard from a friend who works in a sports data company (that’s league 1/2 teams were looking at him) and decided it was dead on.

Yeah we’ll learn more from them. I would guess the ones he was about were Shaw and LCB. Only possibly Cargill being that CB. As far as i’m aware we haven’t been explicitly linked. People have just picked up on when I mentioned what i’d heard from a friend who works in a sports data company (that’s league 1/2 teams were looking at him) and decided it was dead on.
At our level, there are very few left footed centre backs to choose from... so, like mobile target men they will be in high demand. Did anyone guess we were looking at Wharton before he was plucked from blackburn’s Under 23s, it could be another like him, prefer a permanent signing to avoid disruption again in January, but it could be one that we take on loan.

Apparently some blokes called Davis and Johnson are looking for a job. A bit divisive, not good for the dressing room and score a lot of own goals, so I hope they don't turn up here.

Last edited:
By the sound of this afternoons interview it looks like one more permanent, possibly the left sided centre back who will play tomorrow and Friday, then up to 4 loans if the budget allows.

That sounds sensible to me, have a strong core of 16 permanent players supplemented by loans - allows us to go out on getting the core signed on. It will be nice for Chapman to get more of a look in and in future to get more of the youth - if good enough to supplement the squad in stead of loans.

That sounds sensible to me, have a strong core of 16 permanent players supplemented by loans - allows us to go out on getting the core signed on. It will be nice for Chapman to get more of a look in and in future to get more of the youth - if good enough to supplement the squad in stead of loans.
No it doesn't. Not at all. DC was stating at the end of the last season we should be proud because the squad is so small. We were proud because cup winners was something extra on a special season in reaching play offs (for me anyway).

This year, we (I) want promotion. A squad of 16 with 6 loans will not get us there. Last time we tried that mentality was 2010/11. We need a squad of 21/22 permanent. Then up that with loanees to 23-25 to give us depth.

Yes I'd love to see Chapman play more but not rely on him as the main back up. Only if he's ready. Now DC is the best judge of that so we'll see in his signings how ready he is but I'd like to see a loanee CM who gives us better experienced cover, (a 21-24 year old, young enough to have plenty of energy but 5-7 years on Chapman.)

If we sign one more permanent and it's the CB, were does that leave Shaw?
I think his words were actually 3 or 4 loans, implying there could be 1 or 2 more permanent signings, so potentially still room for the CB and Shaw etc on a permanent.

He said the squad is now 17, Chapman will play a big part this season he said. He wanted one more permanent, I guessed that could be the centr e back on trial that he didn't want other clubs to know about lol. He said the other 3/4 would probably be loans as that was a cost effective use of the budget. My understanding on Shaw was that he needs to prove he could have an impact straight away and he would get that chance over the next couple of weeks or so.

I think his words were actually 3 or 4 loans, implying there could be 1 or 2 more permanent signings, so potentially still room for the CB and Shaw etc on a permanent.

Will be interesting to see who this left sided CB is and if Shaw gets much game time tomorrow and Friday (if he is still here).

S
Apparently some blokes called Davis and Johnson are looking for a job. A bit divisive and not good for the dressing room and score a lot of own goals, so I hope they don't turn up here.
Ex snooker world champions??

Personally a squad over 22 is just too many and having 22 players with no loans to me is madness. That is really stretching the budget and we'd be losing out on real quality for the sake of quantity. Having 4 players in the stands without any sort of competitive football is just going to cause problems with harmony nevermind having to pay the entire wage whilst doing this. Allowing loans to give depth sounds good to me.

The last 2 seasons we have been dead on our feet at the end of the season so it is important that we have a sizeable squad in order for rotation and players keeping fresh

He'll be and to reassess in January and strengthen if he feels it's necessary. We don't need to use up all the budget now just for the sake of extra numbers.

The last 2 seasons we have been dead on our feet at the end of the season so it is important that we have a sizeable squad in order for rotation and players keeping fresh

That would be the Championship winning season and the one where we got to the play offs.

Realistically we are a league 2 side so can't stretch to the size of squads some are alluding to unless you include 3-5 youth players as budgets will only go so far and are the quality of player we are looking at going to be happy being on the bench or in the stands waiting to give the others a rest? Unlikely.

Squad happiness is vital and can be disrupted if players get unhappy with their playing time so discounting youth players a squad of 20-22 is in my opinion about right