Summer transfer rumours thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Summer transfer rumours thread

One of Peterborough’s best performers, 27 year old Centre Back Ryan Tafozolli, is drawing interest from many clubs including the Swans. He moved from Mansfield three years ago and his contract expires this month.

It was a pretty impressive Press Conference from Steve Cooper yesterday.
“I’ve watched every game since Christmas and lots before it. The team is in a really good place, it’s a young, hungry team willing to run and be brave on the ball"
“There will be some tactical changes, but for me it’s about evolving rather than change,"
“I think there’s some real good foundations in place in terms of the performance levels, the profile of players currently at the club, which allows us to continue to build.”
"We’ve got some good plans in place and there’s nothing to stop us from delivering when it counts."
“We have fantastic foundations to build on”.
Targets promotion within three years.
Intends to be successful playing the Swansea Way.
Attempted to talk Dan James out of his Man Utd move but it was too late.
And on transfers “Obviously I’ll be approaching certain clubs about certain players, but there’s already been some mentions of players who would like to work together again."

Out of interest here’s a list of England’s U17’s World Cup Winning Squad 2017
(First team appearances in brackets)
Goalkeepers:
Curtis Anderson - Manchester City (0)
Josef Bursik - Stoke City (22)
William Crellin - Fleetwood Town (8)
Defenders:
Timothy Eyoma Tottenham (1)
Lewis Gibson - Everton (0)
Marc Guehi - Chelsea (0)
Jonathan Panzo - Monaco (1)
Joel Latibeaudiere - Manchester City (0)
Steven Sessegnon - Fulham (4)
Midfielders:
George McEachran - Chelsea (0)
Phil Foden - Manchester City (26)
Tashan Oakley-Boothe - Tottenham (1)
Angel Gomes - Manchester United (3)
Jadon Sancho - Borussia Dortmund (36)
Nya Kirby - Crystal Palace (0)
Callum Hudson - Chelsea (13)
Emile Smith Rowe - Arsenal (6)
Morgan Gibbs-White - Wolves (41)
Conor Gallagher - Chelsea (0)
Strikers:
Rhian Brewster - Liverpool (0)
Danny Loader - Reading (11)

Swansea City boss Graham Potter was spotted at Fratton Park on Thursday night watching the League One promotion play off semi final between Portsmouth and Sunderland.
Reports claim Potter was there to scout potential transfer targets, one of which was Sunderland’s versatile defender Tom Flanagan.
They claim that the Swans had interest in Flanagan back in January and Potter was likely at the game to see the defender in action, as well as to assess Portsmouth centre back Matt Clarke.

So Potter was scouting for Brighton whilst still employed by Swansea.
Matt Clarke is having a medical with Brighton after they agreed a £3.5 mill fee with Portsmouth.
I said all along that he was tapped up and poached from us as early as last January.

So Potter was scouting for Brighton whilst still employed by Swansea.
Matt Clarke is having a medical with Brighton after they agreed a £3.5 mill fee with Portsmouth.
I said all along that he was tapped up and poached from us as early as last January.

Agree I think he definitely was well before he actually did leave.

McBurnie is Sheffield United's main summer target and they're looking up a bid for the striker. He's already on 30k here so won't have a massive pay rise at United.

No rumour this.
So here we are then, Steve Cooper’s first signing, 26 year old left back Jake Bidwell, who joins on a free transfer. He’s signed a 3 year deal after leaving QPR at the end of his contract.
An ex-Everton academy player he also has plenty of Championship experience with QPR and Brentford.
“I’m definitely excited about getting down to work,” said Bidwell, who was also impressed by his conversations with head coach Cooper.
“It was a different situation for me being a free agent. There were a couple of options, but I tried to do as much homework as I could on Swansea and all the feedback I had off various people was positive.”
“It’s a massive club, you look around and everything about the infrastructure is Premier League.”

No rumour this.
So here we are then, Steve Cooper’s first signing, 26 year old left back Jake Bidwell, who joins on a free transfer. He’s signed a 3 year deal after leaving QPR at the end of his contract.
An ex-Everton academy player he also has plenty of Championship experience with QPR and Brentford.
“I’m definitely excited about getting down to work,” said Bidwell, who was also impressed by his conversations with head coach Cooper.
“It was a different situation for me being a free agent. There were a couple of options, but I tried to do as much homework as I could on Swansea and all the feedback I had off various people was positive.”
“It’s a massive club, you look around and everything about the infrastructure is Premier League.”

Don't know much about him but he didn't do well against us down here last season. Hopefully he'll suit us better. Lacks pace but has a good engine like Roberts and will put his foot in for a tackle. Cooper will have different qualities in that position now with John who is more of a winger compared to Bidwell.

Jordan Ayew to Crystal Palace for £2.5 million is the latest rumour, a steal at that price if true. No move until after the African Cup though. Let’s hope he doesn’t get injured.
Remember the Swans turned down an £8 million bid from Fulham last season.
Unfortunately we can’t sustain these players wages in the Championship and PL sides take advantage and offer low prices.
Guardian reporter Stuart James revealed on Twitter -
“Ayew is set to join Crystal Palace from Swansea for about £2.5m (includes some add-ons) as soon as the Africa Cup of Nations is over. The deal isn’t signed off but it’s pretty much done. Ayew has a year left on his contract & Swansea need him (& others) off the wage bill.”

Last edited:
Got to get rid of them regardless of fees now.

McBurnie still wanted by Sheffield United but we're holding out for the right fee, same for Van Der Hoorn. I'd prefer it if we could sell quickly if we have to so we can replace them, or am I being too optimistic there!?

Swans are chasing two forward players and a centre-back, but have little money to spend.
"It would be loans and frees, that's the market we're looking at," said chairman Trevor Birch.
"If it's a small transfer fee then possibly, but that's where we are. That's our current financial position."

Apparently we’ve turned down a £15m bid from Sheff Utd for Oli McBurnie.
£20m plus is the fee required before we consider parting with him.
McBurnie flattered by the bid but states he’s happy at Swansea and just getting on with things, leaving it to the two clubs.
Will Sheff Utd come back with another offer or move on to another target, now they’ve unsettled our player?

Ex-Spurs and Rangers winger, 23 year old Nathan Oduwa is on trial with us.
Steve Cooper said: "It's pretty low key. Nathan is quite a well-known player, he's had some pretty good moments in his career already, but it is exactly that. He's coming in for a week of training, it's only been a few days so it's very early, we'll let him settle in and see how things develop, but there are no obvious outcomes on that yet, if there is we'll let you know either way.
It depends how he does and it depends if he's the right player."

Last edited:
Does this take the heat away from the McBurnie pursuit?
Apparently Sheff Utd are close to agreeing a £10million deal with Bournemouth for striker Lys Mousset. The 23-year-old comes with top flight experience having made 71 appearances for the Cherries although predominantly from the bench and has scored five goals in that time.

I think they'll still be interested in McBurnie unfortunately. We're linked with targetting a striker as well as a CB if van der Hoorn leaves

Swans linked with two Chelsea players, midfielder Kasey Palmer, and England under-21 defender Jake Clarke-Salter, who comes very highly rated indeed. He’s accrued 33 England caps across all age groups and has big team experience whilst on loan to Dutch Eredivisie side Vitesse Arnhem last season.

Respected Journalist Alan Nixon tweeted:

CHELSEA. SWANSEA. Coach Cooper hopes to get Clarke-Salter on loan and Kasey Palmer. Expecting bid for van der Hoorn.

Cooper latest on signing players before the market closes:

“I'd like to think we're not that far away from one or two coming. We've talked quite publicly about maximising the loan market.
The big guns are out of Europe at the moment, playing tours, so when they return then hopefully we can see one or two faces come in and add to the good things that are going on.
It's about it happening rather than talking about when.
Of course, you'd like it earlier rather than later, but if we have to wait a little while then we'll do that”

Last edited:
We’ve missed out on young Chelsea player Jake Clarke-Salter, who has surprisingly preferred to go to Birmingham on loan.

Press reports are now stating that Watford’s 19 year old Ben Wilmot will be coming on a season long loan, announcement expected Thursday.

Wilmot signed for Premier League side Watford in May 2018, for an undisclosed fee and on a five-year deal from Stevenage, where he played in central defence. Stevenage stated at the time that the fee was a record transfer fee received by the club. Wilmot made his first-team debut in a cup game for Watford in August 2018, before being loaned to Serie A club Udinese in Jan 2019, making five appearances.

He considers himself primarily a defender, but he is comfortable playing a holding midfield role in front of central defence, the position he was deployed in for both Watford and Udinese.

904B576E-1BEF-4403-B8DC-412CCBC0E2D2.jpeg

Swansea City have completed the signing of Watford centre-back Ben Wilmot on a season-long loan, subject to international clearance.

Good luck Leroy! He’s just signed a one year contract with boyhood club Feyenoord, after spending pre-season training with them.

leroyfer8
Swansea City, thanks for the last 3,5 years, with ups and downs. Saluting the club and leave as a captain, is a huge thing for me. My BIG love goes to the fans! The Jack Army!! All the people that work for the club already know how I feel bout them. One more time: I love you all. Swansea is and will always have a place in my heart! ❤️#YJB

Last edited: