Summer Transfer Rumours Thread | Page 33 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Ben Woodburn from Liverpool has been linked this morning.

Not sure how I feel about that one but for the midfield itself hopefully there'll a commitment to change the set up if they're bringing someone new in for a role. Instead of just ploughing on with the 1-2 set up that exposes the defence and offers little to help the attack. Gets in the way, if anything. Should be a more fluid three rather than rigidly sticking to the diagram in the coaching manual because they don't know any other way.

Bit weird that it's only until January. From the article it reads like we plan to play him in the front 3, although he apparently did well in the middle of the park for Oxford.

Money maybe or Liverpool have something lined up for him and this is just a stopgap.

Too many jack-of-all-trades...

Ward's position stands out as being under temporary threat with this to me. Or they already don't fancy Lubala or Yates on the left with Kaikai worth more in scrap. Could be another throw of the dice at trying to make the 4-1-2-3 work by hoping an individual can just come up with something like they've had from Hamilton a couple of times.

S S will clearly do anything to curry favour with Bob....a Welshman and an Aussie on deadline day. They look like quality signings to me. We now have 4 full internationals on the books.

I'll confess I've never heard of Dougall but SEX has heard very positive things and the replies from Barnsley fans on Twitter are overwhelmingly positive. He fits what we needed though and you imagine it means Woodburn will play in the front three.

Critchley says they've been looking at him all summer. Been out of contract since end of June. Could have had him in training and up to speed if so rather than 5pm on deadline day. Obviously players and agents shop around but it smacks of being offered to the club more recently than that to me so hope they have done their homework for a role.

No excuse not to seek to change the dynamic of that midfield now though. Critchley might out of frustration at other things not working but I don't see Woodburn in a front three. The link between midfield and attack. Less false number nonsense and more doing it properly.

Last edited:
Tyke season ticket mate says Douglas is a "right player, top drawer signing. Holding midfielder. Very good Australian international. Got treated like shit at Barnsley, should still be allowed to play for us but fell out with the manager and released when his contract ran out"

Critchley says they've been looking at him all summer. Been out of contract since end of June. Could have had him in training and up to speed if so rather than 5pm on deadline day. Obviously players and agents shop around but it smacks of being offered to the club more recently than that to me so hope they have done their homework for a role.

No excuse not to seek to change the dynamic of that midfield now though. Critchley might out of frustration at other things not working but I don't see Woodburn in a front three. The link between midfield and attack. Less false number nonsense and more doing it properly.
Wonder if he's only recently been in a position to pass a medical if he broke his leg?

He's been running around on it since last October. I watched him the night he broke it on sky and he played on until realising he couldn't tbf to the lad.

Could have been the answer to our striker problems...

Former Premier League striker Nile Ranger has signed for Sunday League side AC United.
News that the ex-Newcastle, Blackpool and Swindon Town forward, who last played league football for Southend in 2018, had joined the club was announced on Twitter.
Ranger, 29, could play in the Premier Division of the Barnet Sunday League just two years after he starred in League One, the third tier of English football.