Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 24 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

i thought it was interesting to read this quote from O’Connor:
“Every year I have scored a 25-yard goal so hopefully I will get a few more next year, I think I played a more defensive role last season because I wasn’t as mobile with my knee but I am hoping next year I can be more of a box-to-box midfielder scoring more goals for the club.”
sounds a bit like the job o'hara was loaned in to do?

I admit I saw O'Hara in person only three or four times but I didn't get what everyone was raving about. Sure, a great attitude (once he was here), a far better option than an injured Frecklington and he was immense in the MK game (as were most of the team), but other than that a squad player. If we do end up taking him it's in Danny we trust, he might improve him. But it needs to be quick.

O'Connor has however been proven as the far better footballer; consistent, tenacious, a good passer, and he has a screamer in him every now and again. I honestly don't think I saw him have a bad game last season.

I admit I saw O'Hara in person only three or four times but I didn't get what everyone was raving about. Sure, a great attitude (once he was here), a far better option than an injured Frecklington and he was immense in the MK game (as were most of the team), but other than that a squad player. If we do end up taking him it's in Danny we trust, he might improve him. But it needs to be quick.

O'Connor has however been proven as the far better footballer; consistent, tenacious, a good passer, and he has a screamer in him every now and again. I honestly don't think I saw him have a bad game last season.

The first couple of times I saw O'Hara I didn't get it either, I thought he looked a bit leaden footed and ungainly on the ball. After that I thought he was unbelievably good and getting around the pitch. I know everyone was good at MK but he in particular was magnificent.

The main benefit of him for me was that we had Freck, O'Connor who sat in front of the back four without a lot of legs/energy and Pett who I classed as a bit more attack minded, but O'Hara was true box to box. Also good in the air at either end and scrapping for balls in the midfield.

I like O'Connor too but he seems a steady eddie holding player (unless he's about to get unshackled with his knee improved), but wasn't going to play 46 games.

O'Hara is also only 23.

The first couple of times I saw O'Hara I didn't get it either, I thought he looked a bit leaden footed and ungainly on the ball. After that I thought he was unbelievably good and getting around the pitch. I know everyone was good at MK but he in particular was magnificent.

The main benefit of him for me was that we had Freck, O'Connor who sat in front of the back four without a lot of legs/energy and Pett who I classed as a bit more attack minded, but O'Hara was true box to box. Also good in the air at either end and scrapping for balls in the midfield.

I like O'Connor too but he seems a steady eddie holding player (unless he's about to get unshackled with his knee improved), but wasn't going to play 46 games.

O'Hara is also only 23.

Good points. I might have to review a few more of his games!

O'Connor has had a minor op to remove a staple from his knee, which will mean he will be able train better and play longer in games.

O'Connor has had a minor op to remove a staple from his knee, which will mean he will be able train better and play longer in games.

Is that the most recent injury? That's encouraging, but bar one season at Port Vale (2014/5) he's missed a fair amount of games every season, through his whole career.

(although to be fair, he did appear in 39 league games last season for us..)

O'Hara is also only 23.
Agree with that completely. O'Hara was the player Frecklington was supposed to be when he returned but has been unable to recreate. It was obvious from the first time I saw O'Connor (Swindon at home) that his mobility wasn't right, and we knew why that was. The problem for me is that it never really improved much, which has now been confirmed by O'Connor himself. I really hope a full pre-season corrects that, but we are in trouble in that central berth if both Freck and O'Connor do not improve mobility-wise. They only completed 9 games between them in 2019, which is where O'Hara was so valuable. That is my main area of concern for League One. O'Hara would also have improved with a Cowley pre-season, but it looks like that is dead in the water - I cannot see us signing him now for more money than the option price, which is what MacAnthony has suggested.

O'Hara is also only 23.
O'Hara was definitely the best all round midfielder we had last season, perhaps even under DC full stop.

O'Hara was definitely the best all round midfielder we had last season, perhaps even under DC full stop.

I've definitely ended up being a big fan of Pett but I guess O'Hara does the defensive work a lot better (although I might argue Pett does some of the attacking/ball retention a lot better)!

Big fan of O’Hara. I think we fell back on the loan - if he’d agreed to the transfer in Jan he’d still be a Lincoln player now. Maybe our plans have moved on.

I've definitely ended up being a big fan of Pett but I guess O'Hara does the defensive work a lot better (although I might argue Pett does some of the attacking/ball retention a lot better)!
Yeah, I'd agree.

The best all rounder, but probably not the best at certain aspects of it.

shooting. one thing i thought was lacking in o'hara's game - if he was true box-to-box. i can only remember the shank near the end against tranmere, and one shot high/wide against newport.

eta:
two apostrophes in one word - worth a trophy?

Last edited: