Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 127 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

Just to continue this, although it sounds like Whittaker was all ready to sign for us, Fosu had to sign for Swans but that was also dependent on Matt Grimes signing for Fulham on a permanent deal, except Fulham never agreed a fee with Swansea so that can't have been that close? Fulham probably needed to sell someone as well 😂

A mixed bag in terms of progress this window. Sorry to see Tayo leave - but it’s a good move, both for him and for our reputation in developing talent. In Robson it sounds like we’ve a decent replacement. While I think we have a good defensive and midfield unit, we lack an experienced keeper and strike force necessary to make a challenge for the playoffs. We certainly have got enough to keep us in the division, but have we got the cutting edge to keep us in the hunt through to the January window? Will other options present at that time? Time will tell. We continue, to develop the talent we have. I think we’ll have some frustration along the way - mistakes that cost us points at both ends of the pitch - the extent to which we learn to mitigate these, and keep players on the pitch, determine what our trajectory is when we look at our targets in January. This squad is pretty capable and worthy of our backing and patience.

In the window it’s been great getting TJ back, hopefully Robson can prove to also be a shrewd acquisition. Further up the field though it’s been a major downer not to be able to strengthen in the areas we were crying out for help with.

As Skipp and weRimps said, we will have to hope we can get to January and that we don’t get anymore key injuries. The season was already looking difficult to compete with many clubs spending ridiculous amounts of money, we have somehow not addressed that problem, and it could easily get even harder.

Last edited:
Yep, need to manage expectations better.
Eyoma is a stunning signing,
Swapping Edun for Robson + cash and perhaps adds on May prove excellent business.
Perhaps just too open about GK and forward ambitions and need to be careful suggesting we’d sacrifice one out to bring net two in….
Still think we have potential for top half by the Jan window.
Yet a few on here were critical of the club for not 'keeping fans informed". Damned if they do....

From where we are now, it sounds as if the Whittaker loan deal was reliant on too many other things happening. But if the club wants quality players not make weights, this is what can happen.

Not ideal but the club seem to have contingencies for most situations and will have a plan for this, which may include opportunities for young Master Draper. Needs to also include Dan N'Lundulu getting to match fitness sharpish.

My overriding concern is around MA. We’re just not quite giving him the tools he needs. Bound to be a factor if and when opportunity knocks again.

110 per cent agree. MA has proved his worth and you have to give him the tools that he needs, we all know what will happen if we don't - he'll be off. Not a great transfer day and one hopefully we'll not regret.

To be fair to the club, they are open and transparent so will be interesting to hear their thoughts at the next fans forum about the transfer window as a whole.

Just to continue this, although it sounds like Whittaker was all ready to sign for us, Fosu had to sign for Swans but that was also dependent on Matt Grimes signing for Fulham on a permanent deal, except Fulham never agreed a fee with Swansea so that can't have been that close? Fulham probably needed to sell someone as well 😂

Shows how difficult this window has been.

You can imagine how hard it's been for the recruitment team.

This sounds like a hell of a lot of hard work for a possible chance of signing a really good player - with no reward (Whittaker).

Just wonder if the critics have Any real concept of what is involved.

Not a bad window overall, bit disappointing that we weren’t able to get the striker over the line, but I think we got spoilt last year with Rogers, and especially Johnson. I don’t think it’s quite as bad as some think - the main problem is the injury issue and how many of those (McGuire, Ndululu and Adelukan) have had a proper opportunity to a) get match fit, and b) gel with their team mates and assimilate into MA’s game plan. If we can do that I reckon we’re better off than some think. The same applies to the defence. As regards an experienced keeper (assuming MA is looking) - we may be able to pick up someone who is currently a free agent - there must still be one or two good ones out there. Stay patient everyone - we will start to perform and pick up results.

Forgot about Mcguire..... when he is fit he will be like a new signing!!!

I think we have a very decent squad in terms of quality... we need to be lucky now with injuries and illness. We are deficit in the 'winning penalties' department (which a lot of last seasons early success was based on) but not much else except Goalkeeping ~ which seems a big risk with two kids.

By necessity we are now less reliant on loanees than we were last season. This is an opportunity to develop the squad players we have. After watching the Bradford game I am looking forward to seeing Cohen Bramall playing further forward and terrifying the opposition as he did tonight. Bringing in TJ and Jamie Robson on permanent deals represents a successful transfer window.

better luck with injuries we probably have enough until January.

we also have the out of contract pool of players to look at in the coming weeks

Frustrating end to window no doubt about it, but don't forget we have two loans to use when the window reopens in January.
Also this is gives the chance to likes of Roughan and Draper to stake a claim for a first team spot.
Keeping Scully until January at least is great too.
Adelukan is getting fitter and now has a goal.
We have the likes of Maguire, Walsh, Ndulundu and Sanders to return over the next month too.

110 per cent agree. MA has proved his worth and you have to give him the tools that he needs, we all know what will happen if we don't - he'll be off. Not a great transfer day and one hopefully we'll not regret.

To be fair to the club, they are open and transparent so will be interesting to hear their thoughts at the next fans forum about the transfer window as a whole.

So in order ‘to give him the tools he needs’ are you advocating us spending money we haven’t got then?

Aren’t football message boards great? No one had heard who this Whittaker was this morning, now apparently not signing him tonight is the end of the world.
I had never heard of the lad Whittaker until 10 pm last night. Now we haven't signed him it seems our season is over before it really got started and some are now waiting in hope for a saviour in the January window.Deadline day is a farce created by the media. It's Halloween next yet another marketing nightmare to negotiate.

My overriding concern is around MA. We’re just not quite giving him the tools he needs. Bound to be a factor if and when opportunity knocks again.
Perhaps, although in the case of Whittaker, the Club can't do much more than tie all the paperwork up at the EPC, get the player there ready to sign and wait. If MA identifies a player but lots of things need to fall into place, it's just a waiting game and in those situations the risks are known.

The Hanlan one might have not quite worked as anticipated, I don't know, but that would've been another six-figure fee, and maybe one we'd have otherwise earmarked as a January cut price deal. But Wycombe, and bearing in mind, from a financial point of view, they were in the Championship last season, £150k to them is a pretty straight forward one for them at that cost.

This was a gamble by the football club which has not come off. We get told ad nauseum how well the club is run but this is a mistake. It may have been a master stroke if it had come off but instead has left us woefully short up front and reliant on the fitness of one or two individuals. To sugar coat it any other way is wrong.
Anybody referring to the individual player that nobody had heard of are missing the point.