Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 67 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

Lincolnshire Live haven't even reported Archibald's loan yet. If it was likely to be a big news day you'd think they might milk it with a live blog type thing.

a) Not for 4 months? He was rested when Poole arrived but "rested" even after a decent rest.
b) Precisely - he was only 3rd or 4th choice CH last season.

He is however a centre half, I believe.

Easier for a young player to get games at RB, which he did before Christmas and then as his experience, strength and fitness develops, more able to compete in his best position.
No, TJ's dip in fitness caused Lincoln to sign Poole six months earlier than planned; once they had signed him, the theory was to play the player who would be here next season, rather than the loanee who would not be.

Again, TJ is primarily a right-back.

No, TJ's dip in fitness caused Lincoln to sign Poole six months earlier than planned; once they had signed him, the theory was to play the player who would be here next season, rather than the loanee who would not be.

Not heard that explanation of Poole's signature from MA. Nor of Poole's selection being due to the type of his contract. Must have missed that.

Would seem a daft way to select your team - basing it on what might happen next season.

Especially if Mr Chapman's rumour comes good. Would make no sense at all then.

Is there any evidence of this bar conjecture? I find it hard to believe that the entire thing would be, play the player who will be here next season as opposed to playing the player best for the job. Didn't see Scully or any of our permanent wingers starting every week over Rogers or Johnson?

I still think TJ's best position is probably centre half (personal opinion).

Is there any evidence of this bar conjecture? I find it hard to believe that the entire thing would be, play the player who will be here next season as opposed to playing the player best for the job. Didn't see Scully or any of our permanent wingers starting every week over Rogers or Johnson?

agree about the first part - it was discussed at the time. if there is a quote from appleton to confirm poole was picked purely because he was the perm signing, i don't remember seeing it.

on TJ's best position, i thought he was equally impressive at right back and centre back

agree about the first part - it was discussed at the time. if there is a quote from appleton to confirm poole was picked purely because he was the perm signing, i don't remember seeing it.

on TJ's best position, i thought he was equally impressive at right back and centre back
The beauty of TJ is that he can genuinely play both positions rather than a bits and pieces versatility type.

It's a bit like a genuine all rounder in cricket. They would get in the team as a first pick bowler or batsman, not just because they can dabble a bit with both.

The problem is the Spurs staff and many fans are well aware of TJ and his ability. He's not going to quietly slip under the radar. Fans are calling for at least a loan in the Championship as we expected.
If we were to get him for another season I will happily join the queue outside the old Woolworths building.

The beauty of TJ is that he can genuinely play both positions rather than a bits and pieces versatility type.

It's a bit like a genuine all rounder in cricket. They would get in the team as a first pick bowler or batsman, not just because they can dabble a bit with both.
and he also played equally well at both right centre back and left centre back.
i was expecting him to look a bit awkward at left centre back, but he proved to be pretty useful with his left foot too. pretty rare. (see harry £70m maguire, or john stones struggling in the defensive left corner).

I’m presuming someone in the squad is still friendly with Ellis (maybe younger player not many left who played with him) . Ellis then talks to his Dad.
By the time it gets there message gets completely distorted, we’re actually getting a DVD set of TJ Hooker
When I see TJ, I am much much more likely to have TJ Van Garderen pop into my head so maybe a DVD of his best races instead

I agree that he's good at both. I do slightly edge towards centre half as I think TJ's best qualities (recovery pace, ability to come out of defence with the ball, strong in the air etc) marry slightly better to centre back than full back as I thought he was sometimes a bit clunky in the final third/not one to get to the byline and put a ball in. I'm not sure how much that was tactical of course but the signings we've made at fullback under Appleton do generally point towards those who want to get forward.

For full back comparison, as the season went Tayo became increasingly adept at getting right to the byline and pulling it back and ended the season with six assists whereas we didn't get any from right back (I'm saying right back as a whole before the inevitable comparison with Poole, I don't think he got any either (but two for MK Dons before he joined))!

Ma definately said that he played Poole because he would be here this season, but if you think he is hardly likely to say he played him because TJ was off form . Sensible man management . I agree that TJ would be a fabulous signing and one that would allay our fears with regard to the injury record of one or two of the senior players

Ma definately said that he played Poole because he would be here this season, but if you think he is hardly likely to say he played him because TJ was off form . Sensible man management . I agree that TJ would be a fabulous signing and one that would allay our fears with regard to the injury record of one or two of the senior players

The closest I can see to anything like that was Mapp saying it was important to sign Poole because Eyoma was not our player. But in the same interview he said:

“with TJ being Tottenham’s player, I think we had to start thinking long-term.

"we want to start getting to be point as a club where we have less loans and have more of our own players. When TJ goes back, we believe Regan can be very good in that area."

There might be something else of course but I don't think that suggests he really just dropped Eyoma because he was on loan. Quite the opposite, made Poole sound like he was for 21/22 really.

Well according to Spurs own profile of him he’s described as a centre / right back.
Actually played all his early career at centre back before playing right back but switched between in youth set up.
My memory might be playing tricks but I have in my head in an interview he said he preferred centre back.

Well according to Spurs own profile of him he’s described as a centre / right back.
Actually played all his early career at centre back before playing right back but switched between in youth set up.
My memory might be playing tricks but I have in my head in an interview he said he preferred centre back.
He did say that and in my opinion he is a lot better centre back than right back.