Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 58 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

Is anyone else thinking that Bishop and Griffiths aren't quite the right fit for us.

Conspiracy warning.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Bishop kept us hanging on for an MK Dons offer that was promised but was only ever a second option if Eisa wouldn't sign and that we then looked elsewhere - an example of a player holding out for more that he is likely to get this season?

And isn't Griffiths fourth in line at WBA. Wouldn't it make more sense that we actually take Palmer for another season? Why take a 19 year old in order to loan out an 18 year old. If Long has nearly as much potential as Griffiths, stick him in. If not we have to be looking at someone better than a 19 year old surely.

No, personally I'm still hoping for them both to show up in next few days.

Bishop and Sorensen would mean we replace Grant with one and potentially improve on what we have already with the other.

Long would be too big a gamble this year I would have thought. But if MA thought different, so be it.

You should get better as you get older but you can still be extremely good at 18/19.
As I think Griffiths will show.

... and we can do better than Palmer.

I still think it is too early to blood Long in L1. He may have bags of potential and played well in friendlies, but the league is a very different beast and I’m not sure he would be up to a sustained challenge just yet. He might blossom under the challenge but I would hate for his confidence to take a battering. Griffiths (if signing) at least has a season of games and clean sheets in L2 so is probably much more ready. If Griffiths doesn’t sign & we need to take another keeper, did I see somewhere that Ryan Allsop is free? We know him (our Checkatrade keeper as well as our L2 keeper), he’s just spent a season in the Championship. I would be very happy to see him back.

Last edited:
We need a keeper be at Griffiths or somebody else, can't survive the season with 18 year old.
Sure someone will be signed by the time the season, by a Friday night job like Palmer.

What we thinking now? 4 more? Keeper, centre half, winger, forward?

We had some blistering pace with Johnson last season, something like that would be great to replicate.
The two loan players could be quick, we don't know as we haven't seen them yet.

I may be mistaken but wasn't it mentioned early on that Long would be going out on loan this season and so we would be needing 2 keepers through the door if so.

I may be mistaken but wasn't it mentioned early on that Long would be going out on loan this season and so we would be needing 2 keepers through the door if so.
You could well be right, the club maintaining radio silence does maKe things difficult.

Do we need 2? Or could.we risk just 1 and use emergency loans if needed? It could potentially save a wage.

Dan is supposed to be quick as a striker, but Maguire isn’t, we have lost a bit of pace there that’s for sure.

2 keepers, another defender and a couple more attacking players?

Dan is supposed to be quick as a striker, but Maguire isn’t, we have lost a bit of pace there that’s for sure.

2 keepers, another defender and a couple more attacking players?
Depends on finances and any further departures, an injury free defender or two would be nice lol!

I expect Griffiths will sign, though been expecting that for a few weeks now with the current keeper situation. Kerslake did mention a while back about someone signing soon but won’t be announced for probably a week to ten days, maybe it’s going to be him?

You could well be right, the club maintaining radio silence does maKe things difficult.
Surely maintaining radio silence is the proper way to quietly go about one’s business and keeping below the radar without showing interest in individuals leaves us in a better negotiating position. Why throw that away just to keep a few curious fans in the loop!

are we only signing players who are used to playing in red and white? Conspiracy theory!

Good theory, but what about Fiorini?!

Its probably so that the new ones can adapt quicker knowing they can pass it to a red and white striped shirt and be okay!

Surely maintaining radio silence is the proper way to quietly go about one’s business and keeping below the radar without showing interest in individuals leaves us in a better negotiating position. Why throw that away just to keep a few curious fans in the loop!
There is definitely something in that. Nlundulu was linked with us shortly before he was announced, but who saw Fiorini, Maguire or Sorensen coming? Not me. And contrast that with the situation with Bishop, who has been signing for MK Dons for around a month and Lincoln for the best part of a week in addition to holding talks with Wycombe and Portsmouth.

I‘ll admit I’m feeling surprisingly relaxed about the squad to an extent. Yes I feel a little anxious about the keeper and defensive positions this close to our first game (purely for gelling time). But the one thing that keeps niggling at my mind is this business with transfers/loans being delayed by what happens in the Premiership and Championship and the rest of us just need to wait. I’m assuming we’ve got one or two quality loans lined up from higher up (like Fiorini), or possibly a young striker and a young CB of great promise. Who knows, we probably won’t until the week before the first game. 🤞🤞