Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 137 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

My short term memory is fading but iirc we were prepared to pay a six figure fee for Conlan and after that fell through we didn’t sign whoever might have been back up signing? Just wondering if we still have those transfer funds.

Yeah we were going to pay 100k+ for Hanlan I think as someone can play across the front three before Wycombe gazumped us. I then interpreted Whittaker as an alternative we'd been working on when Hanlan fell through.

What Russell Martin has said about the collapse of that move makes no sense. Firstly, he says he doesn't think a deal was ever done; why was Whittaker in Lincoln, then, visiting the cathedral? Then he says there were numerous conversations with Whittaker on deadline day about what was best for his future; as Martin has said several times that he wants Whittaker to go out on loan, that suggests that Whittaker was not keen. That would hardly have been conducive to an effective loan period. And the fact that he can't get into Swansea's match day squad (let alone the team) and that Martin is referring to Whittaker as having to do more, does this all suggest an attitude problem? Something isn't quite right about this one, it makes me a bit nervous.

It does seem a bit weird that they held on to him at the last moment as backup (as per Swansea media, because they didn't sign Fosu from Brentford), but then that he hasn't even been back up. It did seem dumb that they bailed on it and then 10 days later, Martin's in the press saying he's going to go out on loan.

It could be true that although we had the deal sort of done and he was here to hold up a scarf, it was never 100% confirmed and Swansea pulled the plug.

It does seem a bit weird that they held on to him at the last moment as backup (as per Swansea media, because they didn't sign Fosu from Brentford), but then that he hasn't even been back up. It did seem dumb that they bailed on it and then 10 days later, Martin's in the press saying he's going to go out on loan.

It could be true that although we had the deal sort of done and he was here to hold up a scarf, it was never 100% confirmed and Swansea pulled the plug.
Where do his mum and dad live? [The place I was told is very local!] And does anyone claim to know them?

Where do his mum and dad live? [The place I was told is very local!] And does anyone claim to know them?

Interesting! He was born in Derby and played there so makes sense if his family is up here, more in this direction than south Wales anyway!

Cue Norfolk Imp

If it was Swansea's doing that he didn't sign there's no problem about reconsidering him again in January. If he was reticent about signing for whatever reason, then 'you' would want to avoid buyer's regret.

Tbh, I can't imagine he would be sat waiting at the Soper, pen in hand if he was having doubts. I wouldn't rule out it was just one of those football things; it's not like it's a rare occurrence in the game.

Fax machine for De Gea, Akinola, players photographed in the strips of teams they never sign for - there's always something that breaks down during every transfer window.

Yeah we were going to pay 100k+ for Hanlan I think as someone can play across the front three before Wycombe gazumped us. I then interpreted Whittaker as an alternative we'd been working on when Hanlan fell through.

I think plan A (or a version of plan A) was to have both.

MA talked about needing two forward players.

MA also said a week or so before the window closed that we might have to take some short term pain... and that was no doubt at a time when he still expected/hoped Whittaker would be signed.

That would have made a significant impact on our squad.

It might also have put the other transfers made in a different light.

A couple of such players in January might also do the same?

What Russell Martin has said about the collapse of that move makes no sense. Firstly, he says he doesn't think a deal was ever done; why was Whittaker in Lincoln, then, visiting the cathedral? Then he says there were numerous conversations with Whittaker on deadline day about what was best for his future; as Martin has said several times that he wants Whittaker to go out on loan, that suggests that Whittaker was not keen. That would hardly have been conducive to an effective loan period. And the fact that he can't get into Swansea's match day squad (let alone the team) and that Martin is referring to Whittaker as having to do more, does this all suggest an attitude problem? Something isn't quite right about this one, it makes me a bit nervous.
Your view might be correct. I have no more and perhaps less knowledge than you will have... but that's not my take on things at all.

Not all managers are as candid as ours.

Martin is quite correct is saying no deal was ever done. That is clearly a fact. A deal might have been agreed contingent on Swansea getting their transfer business done.

Part of managing your squad involved talking to your players. If you have sent one to Lincolnshire and he can sign under certain circumstances but not others, then a few phone calls making sure everything is ready to go and how the other deals in the chain are going will no doubt have happened on deadline day. Someone would also have rang him to tell him to eventually head back to Wales.

As for what has happened to Whittaker at Swansea since. Well if he was going to get in the team or match day squad in the normal course of things, he would never have been a candidate for a loan. He was always going to be on the fringes at best.

Swansea made the decision that he was needed as cover for the squad. As we know only too well injuries can happen and the quality of those not in your first choice squad does matter. Whittaker was kept as insurance.

The insurance hasn't been used and it looks like all parties would have been better off had the signing been allowed. So the man who made that decision (Martin) has to put forward an explanation, as to why Whittaker isn't being turned into the next Brennan Johnson.

I haven't followed the ongoing day to day affairs at Swansea but I would be more than happy to have a man who was sat in Lincolnshire with a pen in his hand waiting to sign for us in August, actually do so in January.

I did some research after Rob mentioned it but could not find anything on the Web,

So a random , anonymous and unsubstantiated text is read out which effectively puts a damper on a lot of what Jez George had been saying for the previous quarter of an hour. Seems it is probably a load of crap. Someone trying to piss on our chips. Shoddy to read that out if you ask me.

Last edited: