Summer Chat Line | Page 9 | Vital Football

Summer Chat Line

Enjoyed the day out in York - lovely 'afternoon tea' and had a wander. Wasn't as busy as I expected and found a park I'd never been in before not far from railway station.

Enjoyed the game at Peterborough if not the result!

Have been on call to get train tickets to Newcastle to look after granddaughter, who has chicken pox, but they have sorted things out with work so can stand down now!

Oh dear chickenpox is not very nice at all! Grandma's are very useful aren't they?

Have the schools gone back already in Newcastle?

I thought Mummy was a teacher and would still be on holiday. I don't know where I got that idea, my brain is just mush somedays!

Just back from acouple of days at my son's. Out blackberry picking this afternoon with my granddaughter. Then of course we had to make a blackberry and apple crumble for tea!

That sounds nice. Did you notice the blackberries on Don Street when you walked to the game on Saturday - the branches were full.

No I didn't come in that way. Forge Island car park was full so I had to go to my usual one off the dual carriageway. There does seem to be more blackberries than usual this year yet my pear tree has a fraction of the number of pears it's had for several years - though they are bigger!

When we first moved in here the lady next door had three pear trees - hardly saw any pears for years and the ones we did fell off and encouraged wasps (which included a visit to A&E one Sunday morning with my son who had been stung on his neck). One year they were full to bursting - she told us to take what we wanted and we ended up making pear wine. It was bloomin' horrible! There was one bottle left and we had it years, much longer after the pear trees had been cut down. One day I was looking for something to take to work and this bottle dropped and smashed all over the floor - hadn't time to see to it. I got to work and after about twenty minutes was pulled to one side to ask if I'd been drinking!!!! Cleared the mess up in the garage when I got home but for years - and I literally mean years - we had a whiff of this pear wine when we opened the garage door!

Spent the day in Derby with my daughter and partner yesterday. They all had a drinking session but as I've had a bad head for the last couple of days I was on lime and soda all day! We had a wander round, spent a good hour in the museum and played daft games in various pubs! Both managed to catch our different trains at 9.30pm!

Lol!
Never tried to make wine with them.

The ones I can't eat or give away I usually stew and freeze to use for crumbles etc. Both of my granddaughters had pureed and then stewed pears (many time!) from my tree for pud when they were younger.

Glad you had a good family day out. You WERE a good girl - hope your head is ok now.

I'm on the mend, Sixpence.

We were told you could make wine from anything - we weren't told it might not be drinkable! lol

Went to Pondicherry the Indian Restaurant last night and enjoyed our meal and been out with another friend today for lunch before she returns to work tomorrow after six weeks off.

We went to The Checkers only to get there and it was shut! Apparently on Monday and Tuesday they don't open for lunch (I don't remember a pub not serving lunch for many years!). Had a look in Sitwell but it was busy so ended up at the 'new look' Tabard. Nothing wrong with the meal but not sure I like the new layout.

Haven't eaten at the Chequers for a long time, but I think the food at the Sitwell is good, Shame it was busy.
Not been in the Tabard since it's make-over, are they still doing the quiz on Wednesdays?

Not sure re the quiz. The other half and his bowling pals went in on Monday and the music was very loud. They went in on Friday and there were some gents in who always go in on Friday for a drink and a meeting and the music was even louder. They asked if the speaker above them could be turned down and the answer was 'and how do you think you will go on when we start the karaoke next week' which they answered 'simple, we won't come in.'

Seems they want a lot of younger clientele

And there's now a darts board up in what they are calling the 'tap room' - which is the half that hasn't carpet and has hard chairs!

Been to Newcastle today to spend time with my granddaughter. Dreadful weather going up the A1 this morning - at one point we felt we'd have been better bringing a boat! Great on way back with little traffic.

Went to a play park near them when it had stopped raining although things were still wet through but she liked playing with the water on the swings! Then took her for a walk so she'd have a nap and just played the rest of the time!