Summer 2020 Transfer Window | Page 55 | Vital Football

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

The thing with Deeney is he is the perfect character to have in a team. He leads and despite obviously not being the player he once was he is still an absolute menace to defenders. He knows how to disrupt an opposition and how to make space for players around him.

Sometimes to make a team better it isn't about getting the best individuals but is about creating the best scenario for your best individuals to shine. Some folks on here are adamant Hojbjerg will do the business for us despite so many Saints fans predicting a flop move like Schneiderlin.

Like it or lump it, financially we're over a barrel, partly because Levy has always been tight but mostly because of awful timing with Covid and the stadium needing to be paid off. Anybody expecting better quality than Wilson, Deeney or Hojbjerg are being totally unrealistic.

The thing with Deeney is he is the perfect character to have in a team. He leads and despite obviously not being the player he once was he is still an absolute menace to defenders. He knows how to disrupt an opposition and how to make space for players around him.

Sometimes to make a team better it isn't about getting the best individuals but is about creating the best scenario for your best individuals to shine. Some folks on here are adamant Hojbjerg will do the business for us despite so many Saints fans predicting a flop move like Schneiderlin.

Like it or lump it, financially we're over a barrel, partly because Levy has always been tight but mostly because of awful timing with Covid and the stadium needing to be paid off. Anybody expecting better quality than Wilson, Deeney or Hojbjerg are being totally unrealistic.

Unfortunately...this is true.

Not sure that he ever got close to the top of the hill. If only as a 'backup' I find it horrendous that he should be talked about as a possible Spur.

Is there any credibility in the rumours or just journo bullshit ?
What do we want from a striker signing? For me it's a young and hungry player who wants to take Kanes place. Not an old journeyman to see out games when Harry is knackered. Although both might be ok !!

One of the best CF we ever had was Bobby Smith in the Double team...he was a bulldozer who didn’t take any crap from defenders and made space for Allen and later Greaved to do their thing...at the end of his career he also developed some finesse, his goal against Spain at Wembley being one to remember....it would be good to have that type of option in the team as the plan B in the CL semi final proved.

Is it also as much about the homegrown quota? We had a full quota of 17 non-homegrown players and then Verts and Vorm left. So down to 15 with Hojberg potentially joining bringing us back to 16. Remembering also that Davies is non-homegrown in UEFA comps and uses the 17th space.

So it is one in, one out with the non-HG contingent at this point. Therefore, nobody should be surprised that we're on the hunt for homegrown players like Wilson or Deeney. It's not as if we're gonna spend £50m+ on Grealish.

This summer is about balancing the squad. No defender gets it easy with players like Wilson, 28 and Deeney, 32. I think my preference would be Wilson as there is a 2 season transition going on and he is the younger guy. We have Kane's injuries and a strong likelihood that Harry moves on in a years time. We have the Parrott experiment at Millwall and we have a busy fixture list with Europa.

I could see Wilson being an important cog as we transition. Probably never a first choice striker but very involved in the squad at all times. I question whether Deeney has the legs to be the workhorse Jose requires.

One of the best CF we ever had was Bobby Smith in the Double team...he was a bulldozer who didn’t take any crap from defenders and made space for Allen and later Greaved to do their thing...at the end of his career he also developed some finesse, his goal against Spain at Wembley being one to remember....it would be good to have that type of option in the team as the plan B in the CL semi final proved.
MITROVITCH !

When we paid a record fee for Sanchez it was obviously believed that he would be ready to be an immediate replacement at CB for either Vertonghen or Alderweireld. Unfortunately after a promising start he has tailed off, and is inconsistent. I still believe however that Sanchez and Tanganga can develop into a quality CB pairing, the issue is how long it will take. They are for me the obvious pairing to play in the early rounds of the Europa. With Toby, Dier, Sanchez, Tanganga and Foyth, CB is the least of our problems.
Assuming that Hjobjerg is joining, RB is unquestionably the next priority. However, until we can find an attacking play maker who gives us what Eriksen provided at his peak, we will continue to be at best bang average.

I was all for the Sanchez signing. I had followed him with Ajax and he was certainly one of the best young CB's around at the time.

I thought he had a decent first season with us. He just hasn't kicked on. But in his defense he has had no help from our midfield now for 2 years. A Sissoko/Winks pairing leaving holes every game. Then has had spells with Gaz in goal and Auier at RB. Some pretty average and poor players to be fair.

Can only agree regarding our AM position. Eriksen at his peak with us was only behind De Bryne in quality and we have never replaced him.

Sadly I think Jose feels Dier will replace Jan and Dele will be our number 1 AM with Lamela being his back up.

I just can't get excited about the clubs direction and ambition. It's virtually non existent now.

I'm hoping Kane's replacement is Parrott, but I would love to see Malen in the AM role. He won't be cheap though, even at this point. I'm not Wilson's biggest fan either but he is decent option. I agree with you on Deeney though. He'd be a great signing. He's a bloody menace and I have always liked his attitude.

Newcastle could come to your rescue if they offer Wilson a key role over us. He may want more guaranteed football at this point in his career. There is a suggestion that Deeney is the next choice after Wilson and that Watkins from Brentford is another consideration but is less likely due to price and not being as PL experienced.

I must admit I don't get the hype with Troy. I see some talent but I really can't see him making the grade here. I just don't see enough qualities in his game.

To replace Kane who has scored 188 goals in 287 apps for us is an impossible task. The only way you can replace with any real quality is by spending big. I don't think it's a position you can scrimp on.

Have never been a fan of stop gaps unless it's in the Jan transfer window and you are low on players.

Is it also as much about the homegrown quota? We had a full quota of 17 non-homegrown players and then Verts and Vorm left. So down to 15 with Hojberg potentially joining bringing us back to 16. Remembering also that Davies is non-homegrown in UEFA comps and uses the 17th space.

So it is one in, one out with the non-HG contingent at this point. Therefore, nobody should be surprised that we're on the hunt for homegrown players like Wilson or Deeney. It's not as if we're gonna spend £50m+ on Grealish.

This summer is about balancing the squad. No defender gets it easy with players like Wilson, 28 and Deeney, 32. I think my preference would be Wilson as there is a 2 season transition going on and he is the younger guy. We have Kane's injuries and a strong likelihood that Harry moves on in a years time. We have the Parrott experiment at Millwall and we have a busy fixture list with Europa.

I could see Wilson being an important cog as we transition. Probably never a first choice striker but very involved in the squad at all times. I question whether Deeney has the legs to be the workhorse Jose requires.

Yeah have kept an eye on the home grown quota too. It's been very tight for years now. We have got into the habit of holding onto average over seas players.

Agree totally regarding Bobby Smith, a totally different CF from Alan Gilzean who followed him. Gilly was all about skill, Bobby all about strength and raw power, but Smithy was so effective that it took Gilly a long time to endear himself with many Spurs fans.
Hope however that a comparison is not being made between Bobby Smith and Troy Deeney!

I was all for the Sanchez signing. I had followed him with Ajax and he was certainly one of the best young CB's around at the time.

I thought he had a decent first season with us. He just hasn't kicked on. But in his defense he has had no help from our midfield now for 2 years. A Sissoko/Winks pairing leaving holes every game. Then has had spells with Gaz in goal and Auier at RB. Some pretty average and poor players to be fair.

Can only agree regarding our AM position. Eriksen at his peak with us was only behind De Bryne in quality and we have never replaced him.

Sadly I think Jose feels Dier will replace Jan and Dele will be our number 1 AM with Lamela being his back up.

I just can't get excited about the clubs direction and ambition. It's virtually non existent now.

I would never knock the Sanchez signing. Guys like me had been banging on about quality over quantity. It was exactly the type of signing our clubs should be making, whether he becomes a VVD or not:

Number of signings in last 10 years - 5,5,8,7,7,6,4,6,0,7

Now imagine what the last decade might have been like if we had signed 2 major players and 1 or 2 of the best youngsters each calendar year. Take that average down from 5.5 even with a year off to about 3.5. On top of that keep the contingent of over 21's at the club to about 22/23 max and enforce a selling policy for players letting their contract run down. Then redistribute the salaries for the better players used the rest for the transfer kitty.

This is why I can never back Levy's financial football strategy as he loses respect from me for his lack of football smarts. It is the pure definition of insanity. Same thing, over and over again. Manager after manager.

After all this time, he still cannot sit down with a manager, set the right club strategy and help them be successful.

I must admit I don't get the hype with Troy. I see some talent but I really can't see him making the grade here. I just don't see enough qualities in his game.

To replace Kane who has scored 188 goals in 287 apps for us is an impossible task. The only way you can replace with any real quality is by spending big. I don't think it's a position you can scrimp on.

Have never been a fan of stop gaps unless it's in the Jan transfer window and you are low on players.

With me, Jose gets one summer window to balance his squad. For the first time in a long time I think that might be more impactful than making one big quality signing. Once that squad is balanced and Jose can do things like replace Kane with an orthodox number 9, then Jose needs to go to pure quality over quantity in future windows.

I doubt I would even be saying this without the pandemic effects though. I would be advocating young 1st team quality only like I always do.

I would never knock the Sanchez signing. Guys like me had been banging on about quality over quantity. It was exactly the type of signing our clubs should be making, whether he becomes a VVD or not:

Number of signings in last 10 years - 5,5,8,7,7,6,4,6,0,7

Now imagine what the last decade might have been like if we had signed 2 major players and 1 or 2 of the best youngsters each calendar year. Take that average down from 5.5 even with a year off to about 3.5. On top of that keep the contingent of over 21's at the club to about 22/23 max and enforce a selling policy for players letting their contract run down. Then redistribute the salaries for the better players used the rest for the transfer kitty.

This is why I can never back Levy's financial football strategy as he loses respect from me for his lack of football smarts. It is the pure definition of insanity. Same thing, over and over again. Manager after manager.

After all this time, he still cannot sit down with a manager, set the right club strategy and help them be successful.

It's why so many of us get so frustrated because we all know things will never change under Levy and ENIC.

We need new owners with real ambition and the money to do it. Sadly that day won't happen any time soon, so we are stuck with the parasites.

With me, Jose gets one summer window to balance his squad. For the first time in a long time I think that might be more impactful than making one big quality signing. Once that squad is balanced and Jose can do things like replace Kane with an orthodox number 9, then Jose needs to go to pure quality over quantity in future windows.

I doubt I would even be saying this without the pandemic effects though. I would be advocating young 1st team quality only like I always do.

If not for the pandemic we were finishing no higher than 10th. I doubt Jose would have a job. lol

Think that Wilson is a better all round player than Deeney, and the four year age difference is important, he may still have scope for improvement in a better team. Deeney would add a competitiveness that isn't always there, but wouldn't add much else, he takes a good straight down the middle penalty, but take the penalties away and his scoring record is poor. Wilson's goals per game record is actually quite good.

If not for the pandemic we were finishing no higher than 10th. I doubt Jose would have a job. lol

I think Levy would have known that this time it would have been his name on banners regardless of whether the fans like or dislike Jose. He is running out of places to hide with his lack of football smarts.

My other fear is the difference between 10th and Europa is only relevant if we can get the fans back in the stadium and get that revenue stream going again. It's a lot over a season whereas the TV monies are surely negligible compared to the CL equivalent money.

Think that Wilson is a better all round player than Deeney, and the four year age difference is important, he may still have scope for improvement in a better team. Deeney would add a competitiveness that isn't always there, but wouldn't add much else, he takes a good straight down the middle penalty, but take the penalties away and his scoring record is poor. Wilson's goals per game record is actually quite good.

What I notice is that Deeney gets so much favour with refs on reputation alone. They have this unconscious bias towards him. He was rolling round the floor like a baby when we went to their place and Michael Oliver gave him a free-kick every time Toby went near him. He was working the ref like mad and a younger guy like Calvert Lewin would have got nowhere near the amount of protection.

As for Wilson, I have seen him live for England. Incredibly hard worker, plays brilliantly with his back to goal and brings others into play. He has a bit of pace about him, but sometimes his finishing lets him down. Other times, he just gets on a scoring run. My only doubt with him is whether he make a good impact sub. I get the feeling he needs a run in a team to be at his best. He would never get that with Kane around.

Ideally it would be neither but these are strange times and I hope we go for Wilson.

Liverpool have agreed an £11.75m fee for left back Tsimikas from Olympiakos. For that fee shouldn't we have been in for him with lesser competition for a starting place at us?