Summer 2020 Transfer Window | Page 137 | Vital Football

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

Central defence or rather who plays there is the only real conundrum I feel.
We have real depth everywhere else now.
I believe we have the depth at CB as well. My only slight concern is that apart from Toby none of them can be referred to as regular starters.

Central defence or rather who plays there is the only real conundrum I feel.
We have real depth everywhere else now.

I believe we have the depth at CB as well. My only slight concern is that apart from Toby none of them can be referred to as regular starters.

Really boils down to which pairs team up the best. A strangely unpredictable thing, CB partnerships that click, oftentimes just not the ones you'd expect. Unlikely, but our best "pair" could well be Tanga & Davies :shrug:

Only way to find out is to play them in games together, and hopefully find the right mix. I'm assuming that's what Jose is doing.

Really boils down to which pairs team up the best. A strangely unpredictable thing, CB partnerships that click, oftentimes just not the ones you'd expect. Unlikely, but our best "pair" could well be Tanga & Davies :shrug:

Only way to find out is to play them in games together, and hopefully find the right mix. I'm assuming that's what Jose is doing.

100% agree on importance of forming a CB partnership.

100% disagree on the Davies/Tanganga pairing. Davies is too slow and too short to play a CB in a back 2, Japhet is wet behind the ears. That partnership screams disaster.

Davies is a backup LB now, let's keep him there and give Japhet proper minutes with an established CB next to him.

Dier and Sanchez will be our regular pairing this season imo. Rodon if we sign him might force his way in replacing Sanchez over the season if he performs well in the games he’s given. I think Dier is Jose’s No 1.

100% agree on importance of forming a CB partnership.

100% disagree on the Davies/Tanganga pairing. Davies is too slow and too short to play a CB in a back 2, Japhet is wet behind the ears. That partnership screams disaster.

Davies is a backup LB now, let's keep him there and give Japhet proper minutes with an established CB next to him.

It was a sarcastic hypothetical. No one is suggesting we actually go with Davies/Tanga. If we get to that point, we're way to fuked to even bother worrying about that.

But, they might be brilliant together. Ya never know.

If we are taking a chance with Rondon I wonder why we didn't talk a chance on the South Korean lad.

have to agree - although I'm told that they got difficult over terms and we backed off - suspect we'll keep a watching brief for now.

Really? I wouldn't class these two players in the same light at all. One is grossly unproven anywhere that matters, the other is one of the top young CB's, who plays internationally with two of our players, and has proven he's ready to step up to the Prem. By playing in England.

Rodon might end up the best deal of the window. Or he may do a John Stones. I'm betting he's a good one.

Really? I wouldn't class these two players in the same light at all. One is grossly unproven anywhere that matters, the other is one of the top young CB's, who plays internationally with two of our players, and has proven he's ready to step up to the Prem. By playing in England.

Rodon might end up the best deal of the window. Or he may do a John Stones. I'm betting he's a good one.

So you're saying there are no decent players in Asia? I wonder where Sonny would be playing if someone didn't take a chance on him.

So you're saying there are no decent players in Asia? I wonder where Sonny would be playing if someone didn't take a chance on him.

No, nobody said that. Didn't even broach the subject of "Quality of Asian Football". Just the player to player comparison.

And, Son is very likely THE BEST PLAYER IN ASIA. So, if he were not with Spurs, he'd likely be at Barca, RM, Juve, PSG, you know, the best clubs in the world.

Regardless of whether he's Asian or not.

Not to difficult to take a chance on the best player from the largest continent on the earth.

Rodon is flat out a better player now, has less potential baggage to overcome being UK born, and projects a better player in the future.

Whether he's Welsh or not. :hehe:

Is Rodon considered an upgrade on CCV , or just better potential? Haven’t seen much , if anything , of either of them lately .

I've only watched him for half a game, but didn't see anything that I thought would grab my attention about him - but in fairness of course 45 mins is not worthing judging a player on - I do know a head scout at another London Club (Watford) and he was certainly on their radar and were almost certainly hoping to pull something off, but once we got on the case, his price doubled.

I spoke to QPR's head guy and Watfords about him and both basically said he's good but neither know how good he can become or if he'd reached his level already.

So of course we must be covinced he can step up, even if I'm not (yet)!

Last edited:
Tottenham target Joe Rodon should not be sold 'on the cheap', warns Swansea boss Steve Cooper

Swansea City manager Steve Cooper insists that the club should not sell Tottenham target Joe Rodon for a cut-price fee as the domestic transfer deadline approaches.

Spurs have targeted a deal for Welsh international Rodon during the latter stages of the window, but were under no pressure to seal a deal before the close of the international market last week.

The extended domestic window - which closes at 5pm BST on Friday (October 16) - gave Tottenham more time to reach an agreement, with the two clubs initially miles apart when it came to an acceptable fee for one of the Championship's top young talents.

Talks have been ongoing, though Standard Sport understands that, as of last week, Spurs and Swansea - who originally valued Rodon at £7million and £18m respectively - were still some way off finding a compromise.

Cooper was inevitably asked about transfers in his latest press conference before Swansea return to second-tier action following the international break with a home fixture against Huddersfield Town at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday.
joerodon1004abcd.jpg

Tottenham have held talks over a deal for highly-rated Swansea and Wales defender Joe Rodon (Getty Images)

"What I would say about Joe or any other of our assets – and Joe is right up there as one of our biggest – it’s really important that if we do end up having to sell then we get something to show for it,” Cooper said.

“We shouldn’t be selling on the cheap. The precedent has been set this year.”

Cooper specifically referenced the recent transfer involving Ben Godfrey, with Premier League pacesetters Everton paying Championship Norwich City £25m plus add-ons to take the defender - who, at 22, is the same age as seven-cap Wales international Rodon - to Goodison Park.
“The player [Godfrey] is not a full international," he added. "Joe is and you have seen how well he played for Wales.

“If that’s what the going rate is and that’s the numbers getting bandied around, whether I agree or not, that’s what it is.

“If we do lose an asset then our supporters will want to see some reinvestment and some good players coming in.”

Tottenham target Joe Rodon should not be sold 'on the cheap', warns Swansea boss Steve Cooper

Swansea City manager Steve Cooper insists that the club should not sell Tottenham target Joe Rodon for a cut-price fee as the domestic transfer deadline approaches.

Spurs have targeted a deal for Welsh international Rodon during the latter stages of the window, but were under no pressure to seal a deal before the close of the international market last week.

The extended domestic window - which closes at 5pm BST on Friday (October 16) - gave Tottenham more time to reach an agreement, with the two clubs initially miles apart when it came to an acceptable fee for one of the Championship's top young talents.

Talks have been ongoing, though Standard Sport understands that, as of last week, Spurs and Swansea - who originally valued Rodon at £7million and £18m respectively - were still some way off finding a compromise.

Cooper was inevitably asked about transfers in his latest press conference before Swansea return to second-tier action following the international break with a home fixture against Huddersfield Town at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday.
joerodon1004abcd.jpg

Tottenham have held talks over a deal for highly-rated Swansea and Wales defender Joe Rodon (Getty Images)

"What I would say about Joe or any other of our assets – and Joe is right up there as one of our biggest – it’s really important that if we do end up having to sell then we get something to show for it,” Cooper said.

“We shouldn’t be selling on the cheap. The precedent has been set this year.”

Cooper specifically referenced the recent transfer involving Ben Godfrey, with Premier League pacesetters Everton paying Championship Norwich City £25m plus add-ons to take the defender - who, at 22, is the same age as seven-cap Wales international Rodon - to Goodison Park.
“The player [Godfrey] is not a full international," he added. "Joe is and you have seen how well he played for Wales.

“If that’s what the going rate is and that’s the numbers getting bandied around, whether I agree or not, that’s what it is.

“If we do lose an asset then our supporters will want to see some reinvestment and some good players coming in.”

All I saw was Rodon doing his best impression of Michael Dawson, charging out and missing the ball and getting caught ahead of play. He never recovered as the ball went in the net. His partner Mepham moved over from the right to cover his arse and then got all the stick from the commentators as the England goal was conceded. Rodon did look good for most of the half he played though apart from the key moment.

Also, if Southgate had played Godfrey instead of Maguire last night, we would have been stronger. Hypothetically, he would also be selected ahead of Mepham and Rodon for Wales, so Cooper's comparison is pointless.

If Rodon joins Spurs tomorrow we should expect to read "Jose has got his new Terry" the following day !!!

With the strengthening of our squad I think you can already see one or two players upping their game Rich, the reality is very few teams will have back up players of the same quality as preferred starting 11.
And IMO it is totally unrealistic to expect a team that has won nothing to be able to attract squad players of that level, win a couple of trophies this season Rich and maybe next season we can get closer to where you would like us to be.
Personally I'm absolutely buzzing with the way we are shaping up.

I guess its a sign of the times that players don't have enough motivation to want to improve and be better. Too much money and other distractions get in the way. I remember a time when we had Nick Barmby and Mick Hazard stepping up into the team and being quality. Oh well.

I've only watched him for half a game, but didn't see anything that I thought would grab my attention about him - but in fairness of course 45 mins is not worthing judging a player on - I do not a head scout at another London Club (Watford) and he was certainly on their radar and were almost certainly hoping to puull something off, but once we got on the case, his price doubled.

I spoke to QPR's head guy and Watfords about him and both basicall said he's good bit neither know how good he has become or if he'd reached his level already.

So of course we must be covinced he can step up, even if I'm not (yet)!
Maybe Trevor Birch is having an influence on this? He only left Swansea a month ago to join us.