Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation | Vital Football

Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation

sedgleyimp

Vital Champions League
Browsing through the Interweb the site The 72 has listed 5 potential transfer targets for us for this coming summer or whenever players start to move between clubs again

George Thomas, Leicester City- Appleton will know the attacking midfielder from his spell as assistant manager of the Foxes. The former Coventry City man is currently on loan at Dutch side ADO Den Haag having spent time at Scunthorpe United last season. Out of Contract June 2020

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Leicester City- He is another who the Imps boss might want from the King Power Stadium next term. The 21 year old is on loan at fellow League One side Blackpool at the moment and has impressed for the Tangerines.

Marvin Johnson, Middlesbrough- The left winger was a key player for Appleton at Oxford United a few years ago and earned a move to the Riverside Stadium. He is out of contract in June and is due to become a free agent as it stands.

Jason Lowe, Bolton Wanderers- He is likely to leave the Trotters on a free transfer when/if this campaign finishes. The midfieldernplayed for Appleton at Blackburn Rovers seven years ago.

Jake Wright, free agent- The centre-back is available after parting company with Sheffield United in January. He also played for Appleton at Oxford and spent the first half of this season on loan at Bolton Wanderers.

I know Wright was suggested when he left the Blades but is 34 now so to me possibly a wee bit too long in the tooth

I don't think the site has any firm links other than MA has worked with the majority of those players before

So they think that Appleton will ony sign former players. I know managers do that a lot but I think App's tentacles reach a bit deeper into the game than most.

There didn't seem to be much science applied to the names. Other clubs have the same 5 possibles attached to them. Huddersfield's list included Harry Anderson, Josh Vickers , Rob Dickie and Sean Raggett.

I suspect many sites are struggling for newsworthy stuff at the moment but thought it worth posting anyway

So they think that Appleton will ony sign former players. I know managers do that a lot but I think App's tentacles reach a bit deeper into the game than most.

I read the Huddersfield one out of interest and it was just a load of ex-Cowley players. "Journalism" by numbers. They suggested Vickers might go there because their two main 'keepers are loanees so they need someone on a permanent. Not sure Josh is up to Championship level. Also included Callum Connolly, Harry Anderson, Raggett and Dickie.

Edit - Sedgley beat me to it. Very lazy "journalism".

Last edited:
To be fair, under the current circumstances journos can do little more than stay at home and google stuff.

Whereas BC they could leave home.

I read the Huddersfield one out of interest and it was just a load of ex-Cowley players. "Journalism" by numbers. They suggested Vickers might go there because their two main 'keepers are loanees so they need someone on a permanent. Not sure Josh is up to Championship level. Also included Callum Connolly, Harry Anderson, Raggett and Dickie.

Edit - Sedgley beat me to it. Very lazy "journalism".
Bit harsh calling Sedgley lazy 😀

Quite a few release lists out now.

Noticeable one today are Rochdale's 2nd highest goalscorer (3 short of the record) has left (Salford bound apparently) and also had to let Camps go, so that's there two best players they weren't able to keep.

FYI, not all clubs in L1 have announced their retained lists yet. Those that have:

Club (released):
Accrington (5)
AFC Wimbledon (11)
Blackpool (8)
Bristol Rovers (11)
Burton (4)
Crewe (6)
Gillingham (3)
Ipswich (4)
LINCOLN (11)
Peterborough (6)
Plymouth (7)
Rochdale (8)
Shrewsbury (4)
Sunderland (7)

One notable aspect is the relatively small number of players released by clubs promoted from L2. Confident, or naive?

Quite a few release lists out now.

Noticeable one today are Rochdale's 2nd highest goalscorer (3 short of the record) has left (Salford bound apparently) and also had to let Camps go, so that's there two best players they weren't able to keep.
Although the 2nd highest goalscorer - captain Ian Henderson - is 35. They have also released strikers Aaron Wilbraham (40) and Calvin Andrew (33), suggesting a much younger forward line next season. Josh Lillis (33) has also gone, suggesting that they have released the players on bigger wages.