Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation | Page 31 | Vital Football

Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation

The two squad players who are not first team ready are probably Roughan (17) and Adebayo-Smith (19). They are also the two squad members who fall outside of the salary cap. MA obviously sees Bradley as a first team contender, but we do have a lot of competition for places in that area; he may be out on loan, perhaps even to Harrogate again in League Two. That would give MA more room with the budget too.

I would be surprised to see Vickers return. He was injury-prone with that thigh problem, and I never felt he could kick as well with that modified action. As a shot-stopper, he was very good in L2, but not so convincing in L1. We now need a keeper who is one of the best in L1 and able to step up to the Championship if that happens.

There is a natural tendency to believe that there cannot be any players out there who are as good as the ones we have, but that is far from true. There are many who are better, especially in the brave new football world, and that is what we need if we are to progress.
Re: your third paragraph, I'm not so sure it's a case of already having the best available players, but more a case of better the devil you know. With say Vickers, we already know his strengths and weaknesses. I think there is always a fear when signing someone new that you can never be sure of exactly what you're going to get, and to fit the position in this example, we might sign another Elliott Parrish who would turn out to be sh*t. Imagine thinking you're signing a Bridcutt and actually getting a Bohan Dixon. The fear is in the unknown, in my opinion.

Reading this morning how few of the Premier league players who are out of contract have found clubs and that now they’re not being paid they will have to drop their wage demands. You could imagine that will filter down the leagues

Re: your third paragraph, I'm not so sure it's a case of already having the best available players, but more a case of better the devil you know. With say Vickers, we already know his strengths and weaknesses. I think there is always a fear when signing someone new that you can never be sure of exactly what you're going to get, and to fit the position in this example, we might sign another Elliott Parrish who would turn out to be sh*t. Imagine thinking you're signing a Bridcutt and actually getting a Bohan Dixon. The fear is in the unknown, in my opinion.

I think that would be unfortunate.

You would hope that recruitment teams are a bit wiser than that in this technological age. It does remind me of a story I was told about one of our former manager's recruitment methods: "Have you got any players I can have? A full-back and a big striker? Send me the big striker."

I think that would be unfortunate.
It would certainly be an ultra-extreme occurrence. My point being that highlights reels etc never tell you the full story, or how a player will fit into any given team. I suppose Tom Champion would be a good one to look at in this respect.

You would hope that recruitment teams are a bit wiser than that in this technological age. It does remind me of a story I was told about one of our former manager's recruitment methods: "Have you got any players I can have? A full-back and a big striker? Send me the big striker."
I definitely hope ours would be! I wonder which manager that was, although if it's from the fairly recent past I might be able to guess.

Reading this morning how few of the Premier league players who are out of contract have found clubs and that now they’re not being paid they will have to drop their wage demands. You could imagine that will filter down the leagues
Of the 203 players released/sold by League One clubs this summer, only 63 have found new clubs so far. That is surprising, given that the new league season is now a little over four weeks away (and possibly just over three weeks to the first cup tie). Are clubs waiting for fallout from the PL/Championship? Are loans set to dominate? Are clubs still uncertain regarding budgets?

Of the 203 players released/sold by League One clubs this summer, only 63 have found new clubs so far. That is surprising, given that the new league season is now a little over four weeks away (and possibly just over three weeks to the first cup tie). Are clubs waiting for fallout from the PL/Championship? Are loans set to dominate? Are clubs still uncertain regarding budgets?
Of the 63, 6 have signed for Bolton.

Of the 18 released by relegated Charlton and Hull, none has found a new club.

Now with the salary cap I think less will drop down? More likely to be willing to try abroad.

For example if you were on £20K a week perhaps a £6K a week league 1 deal was agreeable compared to a £8K a week foreign club deal due to being a safer move (less of an uproot, language etc.).

But if league 1 can only offer £4K a week now to fit in with cap, perhaps a move abroad for double the money is better.

Reduction in squad size to 22 will not help some to find clubs (20 in 2021-22). A couple of League One clubs have more than 22 as it stands. Ipswich have 27 at the moment.