Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation | Page 3 | Vital Football

Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation

I would be interested in your insight into why Michael Appleton should be interested in any of these.

Or have you simply pulled a list of out of contract goalkeepers from Transfermarkt?

Please, please, please, do not tell me it is the latter.

Whenever he has played against us Kieran O’Hara has looked really, really good. Thats one reason why we could/should/would be interested in him. He’s also young, ex Man Utd and has probably 80+ league games under his belt.

Last edited:
Perhaps a better way of looking at is why shouldn't we be interested? We have no football, what's the harm in some almost (but not quite) aimless speculation? These are all talented players and some of them could be playing at LNER stadium next season.

Bit of fun.
Fair enough, but do you have any insight into any of them? Why should we be looking at Pierce Sweeney of Exeter, for instance?

Fair enough, but do you have any insight into any of them? Why should we be looking at Pierce Sweeney of Exeter, for instance?
25 years old so peak age and a regular in one of the better League 2 teams for 3-4 years now. A very solid defender whenever I've seen him play and stepping up a league would be a cheaper option.

Isn't it the purpose of the internet and social media to make something up which then gets repeated ad nauseam by 'experts in the know' thereby becoming truth.

So Kieran O'Hara as our potential number 1 for next season needs that bit of extra pushing on here and other places in my opinion.

LB's
Tyler Blackett - Reading
Cameron Borthwick Jackson - Man Utd
Luke Garbutt - Everton
Demetri Mitchell - Man Utd
Sam Hart - Blackburn
Josh Ruffels - Oxford Utd
Kieran Wallace - Burton
Lewis Page - Charlton
Jerome Opoku - Fulham

I am sure I read somewhere that there could be potentially over 1200 players that have played professional football looking for a job.
There is going to be a massive C change in footballers wages and contracts thanks to this awful virus.
"We have the chance to snag, bag and tag as others have previously said players we would not have thought possible before,;but so do other clubs"
Isn't that what a lot of people think? However, competition for signing players hasn't changed, if anything it has got a lot harder. Players may have more of a luxury in that they can pick and choose who they play for, and the best contract. Meaning has/will the transfer market change in that respect?
But clubs will have a lot less money to splash out on players, they won't be able to keep as many players on their books, meaning a lot of clubs will have to settle for so called 2nd best.
This then means that the "cream" of players will find it harder to find new clubs unless they lower their wage and contract expectations.
But the "bigger" clubs with more financial backing will be able to buy the better players on terms those players want. So has/will the transfer market change that much?
I think we need as a club to be looking at more reasonable options, players we have a chance of bagging that are still quality, but may be lacking in experience. I would be very surprised if any potential new signings were given anymore than 2yr contracts, or included "top scorers from last season" or "golden glove" winners and "players of the season".

I see WBA have announced their retained list. Putting two and two together and getting five (sorry ScotImp), perhaps Appleton will be interested in one or two of those released?

Do their Premier League parachute payments come to an end this summer as well?

Sunderland is a perfect example of how the parachute payments just make clubs lazy. Rather than doing the hard-yards to get promoted, they have (relatively speaking) been awash with cash and still couldn't do it.