Summer 2018 | Page 2 | Vital Forums

Summer 2018

wee_od_88

Vital Football Hero
And this afternoon we confirmed that Edouard is a Bhoy! 4 year contract has been signed and although the fee has not been announced, it's believed to be £9m or that could be Euros...... It's unknown how much of that might be paid up front and how much in add-ons. Great piece of business from us regardless of whether that's considered to be a big fee.

wee_od_88

Vital Football Hero
Not a lot more even rumours to discuss at the moment.

Dembele is interesting Borussia Dortmund who have been priced out of taking Batshuayi back to the club after his successful loan from Chelsea. Other clubs are also said to still be interested but it doesn't seem that either Celtic or Dembele are desperate for anything to happen.

Armstrong continues to be linked with moves away but he is said to be having talks with Brendan and Peter Lawell this week now that we're back to pre-season training.

Calvin Miller could be heading to Sunderland on loan. He only managed a handful of appearances last season and is still adjusting to his new LB role that Rodgers has chosen to use him in. What I found odd was that on occasions where Tierney didn't play (not often) we opted to use Johnny Hayes or McGregor at LB instead of giving him a chance. However it's also reported that it would only be a loan move as Celtic want to get him tied down to a new long term contract! That's how impressed Rodgers is with him, it's just a shame he's having to play behind Tierney!
The question would be whether we look for another LB if Miller does go?!? If the worst should happen and Tierney is injured, do we try and make do with McGregor or Hayes in there again, or do we need proper LB cover?

wee_od_88

Vital Football Hero
Johnny Hayes is wanted by Alex Neil who is now in charge at Preston. It would be a season long loan. It really comes down to what formation Rodgers is planning to use and whether he sees Hayes as a vital part of the team or not. Are Morgan and Christie going to play on the wings before him? Will Christie be used as a winger at all? Or will he be fighting it out with Rogic? Will Miller go out on loan and then Rodgers wants to keep Hayes around as backup for LB?? So many options and questions!

wee_od_88

Vital Football Hero
Apparently we've started our offer for John McGinn at £1.5m......how we thought we'd ever get him for that I've no idea. If that's true then we're being daft. Hibs say they want £5m and rightly so. Although with the addition of Scott Allan I'd hope we could get him for less.
That said however.....I for one am not convinced that he's the player we should be signing to replace Armstrong! I have this bad feeling that he's going to be another Scott Allan and he's not going to be able to play and be as good for us as he is at Hibs. If we sign him then obviously I hope I'm wrong but at the moment, I just don't see him being a success here.

Rodgers has confirmed Dorus de Vries could be leaving the club this summer. He has been excused from the pre-season trip to Austria as he finishes a coaching course with the Welsh FA. Having signed Scott Bain, we no longer really need de Vries especially with Connor Hazard and Ross Doohan as back-ups and both being quite highly rated, especially Hazard.

wee_od_88

Vital Football Hero
We've made another bid for John McGinn, this time we've increased the offer to £2m which is still far below the Hibs asking price.
I don't really get this. We either want him and are prepared to pay the price Hibs want or we want him but are only willing to pay less than what Hibs want as we don't see him being worth more. So far it looks like the latter and if that's the case, why are we even continuing to continue chasing him? It's not like we can't afford £3m! So it suggests we don't think he's worth that. In which case lets go sign someone else!

wee_od_88

Vital Football Hero
John McGinn has been the summer transfer saga for this year but it as yet doesn't look to be close to coming to an end! McGinn started Hibs' away match of the Europa League last night which then rules him out of being eligible to play for Celtic in our Champions League qualifiers. He would however be available for the group stages should we reach them. Whether this was actually a ploy by Hibs to try and keep us away.......not sure but it does make McGinn less of a tempting proposition at this stage of the season!

Meanwhile we are still left with no ideas or rumours of other possible players coming in. Sviatchenko and Armstrong left this summer and while some were happy to see them go, most would have expected replacements. Sviatchenko maybe didn't need to be replaced as we have Compper but as his injury problems continue, questions are now being asked about whether we need some more cover at CB.
The Armstrong replacement appears to be McGinn but if that deal is not proving to be possible then we need to move on to the next target! We need to move on quickly before all the good players are already signed by other clubs.

There was talk of a midfielder/attacker from Uruguay but it seems the transfer fee may be just too high for us. Giorgian De Arrascaeta is a 24 year old Uruguay international who currently plays for Brazilian side Cruzeiro and apparently he is keen to make a move to Europe. Newcastle are also said to be interested and the transfer fee is said to be around £10m, far easier for Newcastle to come up with that sort of cash than it is for Celtic! He plays as a number 10, between the striker and midfield so it would seem to put him in direct competition with Rogic and Christie.

In other news, Boyata is being linked with a move to French giants Lyon!

We are gambling on picking up EPL players. The English leagues' transfer window closes much earlier than usual this year, 9th of August to be precise.
So that gives us until midnight on the 31st to try and get any english based targets signed up. Any targets we do have will know where they stand with their club at that stage.

Last edited: