Summer 2018 Transfer Window Official Thread | Page 23 | Vital Football

Summer 2018 Transfer Window Official Thread

Going to be a tricky summer. Toby leaving is one thing, but then we have:
Dembele and Verts with a year remaining (although I read that we have a 1 year option on Verts)
Eriksen, Son & Lamela with 2 years remaining.
Dier 3 years remaining.

Need to start extending those contracts asap.

Vert will be tricky, and it's looking as if he too could be moving on. But we shall see. It was only Back in feb that Poch was pushing for a new deal for him:

Pochettino has also backed Vertonghen to receive a new contract at Spurs, admitting the 30-year-old could play for another 10 years.

Jan-Vertonghen.jpg

“Now he realises that he is so strong mentally,” he added.

“He looks like a 20-year-old player and when he runs he is faster. He is like a new dog.

“He’s an athlete. It’s unbelievable and it’s only up to him to play until he is 40-year-old because his condition is genetic. In my opinion he is one of the best centre backs in the Premier League and Europe.

“If the club believe that he needs to be rewarded I think then he is one of the players of course.”

Vert will be tricky, and it's looking as if he too could be moving on. But we shall see. It was only Back in feb that Poch was pushing for a new deal for him:

Pochettino has also backed Vertonghen to receive a new contract at Spurs, admitting the 30-year-old could play for another 10 years.

Jan-Vertonghen.jpg

“He looks like a 20-year-old player and when he runs he is faster. He is like a new dog.

“He’s an athlete. It’s unbelievable and it’s only up to him to play until he is 40-year-old because his condition is genetic. In my opinion he is one of the best centre backs in the Premier League and Europe.

“If the club believe that he needs to be rewarded I think then he is one of the players of course.”

Where does the moving on part come in?

Another big game for Walker, another Stinker. What an overrated player.

Jan-Vertonghen.jpg

Absolutely need to re-sign Vert. In my opinion he has played at a level that could warrant him as our best player this season. I do still see Toby leaving, so it is paramount that Vert stays and continues to mentor young Sanchez.

Absolutely need to re-sign Vert. In my opinion he has played at a level that could warrant him as our best player this season. I do still see Toby leaving, so it is paramount that Vert stays and continues to mentor young Sanchez.

I agree. But there alot of big clubs who are now eyeing him up - whether they can get to him is another matter, but my instincts/and agents tell me he's now listening to them and if that's true, that's not good for us.

We simply can't lose Toby and another big name in the same transfer window, especially when that name is Vertonghen - that will crush our defence.

If we have a 1 year extension option we should keep Verts for another year, and get his replacement in this summer - same way we did with Sanchez/Toby.

Lucas Hernandez looks like a world class LCB in the making, and apparently he has a 45 million pound release clause. His game and speed will fit us like a glove (and boy is he fast!).

I agree. But there alot of big clubs who are now eyeing him up - whether they can get to him is another matter, but my instincts/and agents tell me he's now listening to them and if that's true, that's not good for us.

Hmm not good. Oh well...

Not exactly sure why you would want to leave now.

-New stadium and all the coolness that brings
-We are a team growing into greatness, you can be on the leading edge of that!
-Getting to play for one of the best coaches in football
-CL ball is becoming an expectation not a surprise
-Money isn't the BEST, but it is damn good!

**Remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side...in fact it usually isn't!!!

be surprised if anyone offered Jan the kind of money Toby wants for any long period of time as he'll be 31 in a couple weeks... so hopefully his demands are reasonable and we meet them. Agree with the above, we can't afford to go into next season with both Toby and Jan gone.

I'll take heart in your "i'm never wrong" being tongue in cheek as you've predicted a couple of our Belgians will be exiting in previous windows and they're still here for now!

as I said right at the beginning of all this debate about toby - Poch has confirmed his injury was 'massive' - I'd said it might even be one that he takes a whole season to recover from.

that's why he's not playing him - all other issues around contract etc are secondary.

Funny how CB has become such a topic of conversation, when last season the idea woulda been ludicrous.

I would keep Toby as fit and unbroken as possible, and get the most we possibly can for him in the Summer. The guy is a world class Center Half, and I'd love for him to stay, but the ROI on him coming up this window, with Sanchez playing the way he is, just can't be passed.

I would however keep Vert, and give him a raise if need be. He is arguably a Player of the Season for us this year, and he has been vastly underappreciated at times over his years with Spurs. He could well play a few more years at this level and we'd be fortunate to have him. He'd be a tremendous mentor for the young CB's we have.

Snchz__Vert
CCV__Foyth

I would go after Alfie Mawson, for a young Prem experienced CB, or an even younger player like the Ajax kid. Solidify that spot with another, and we'd be set for some time.

I do see Foyth as a possible CM as his footskills and deception are really outstanding, and looks to have some vision & touch in distributing in the attack.

I hear Ben Wilmot is about to be ours. Hope he steps up like Dele did, he's getting great write ups for a young lad playing against men.

Does make you wonder what the Spurs squad will look like at the start of next season. Without Vorm, Toby, Rose, N'Koudou and perhaps Llorente and / or Sissoko it already starts to feel a lot different.

Then you look at the players that we're linked with like Sessgnon and de Ligt and realise they are inexperienced kids despite their transfer value and potential. I do think that will continue to be the Spurs transfer strategy though especially after the success of Sanchez this season.

Well muttley, salaries are 41% of revenues, 126 million of 306 million. any good agent will be all over that. There is approximately 30 million available to take that to 50% and another 15 million for a total of 45 million to take our salaries to 55% of revenues.

Any good agent will be all over that.

Knowing 20K per week = a million a year there is enough there to give 20 players a 40k per week raise. Can't you hear them salivating?

Last edited by a moderator:
80deg - Actually I'm not sure the agents will have any clue. Not sure I have it clear in my head either.

Firstly, all the numbers you quote are already a year old. Secondly, our operating expenses went from £194m to £277m from FY16 to FY17. That puts OPEX at 88% of revenue going into this financial year including salaries.

That totally challenges the "55% of revenues" argument for salaries which were £127m or 42%. Even on last year's accounts, if we had operated at 55% that would have meant £168m. Add back the £41m extra to the £277m and our total OPEX would have been £318m which is exceeding our revenues of £306m by £12m. That means we definitively couldn't have had salaries at 55% to break even.

When you look deeper, we can't tell what is in the £62m of "Other operating costs". We can't understand why our "depreciation of property, plant and equipment" has gone from £6m to £33m in one year. Just those 2 things are close to a third of our revenues and are both classed as OPEX.

I've said this for a very long time, but Levy saying that the football finances are treated separately from the stadium costs is a joke. It clearly all combines into one balance sheet and some of these numbers prove that.