Summer 2018 Transfer Window Official Thread | Page 128 | Vital Football

Summer 2018 Transfer Window Official Thread

I still think Zaha could have been huge for us.

Grealish signing a new 5 year deal with Villa...just shows you that we really were not that close...or he is seeing us possibly sliding in the wrong direction and made the call.

Oh well...does anyone get excited anymore during transfer windows? I know I don't.

Still think Neves is the biggest fish out of last years Chamionship. He’s already put in decent performances against the Manchester clubs.

Perhaps a deeper player than the other two but for me the one that would have worked in our system.

I think we took an either or approach we seem very tunnel vissioned with transfers and we chose Grealish. There is no way Maddison would turn down Poch despite the silly video. We clearly put all our eggs in the Grealish basket because we smelled cheap. On top of which we have very good working relationship with Norwich as you say don't understand.
If Grealish was our preference and we believed we could get him, why would you sign your second option while that deal is still alive? As for believing that Grealish was the cheaper option, I really don't believe that. Maddison went for £22m. My understanding is we were prepared to go to £25m for Grealish.

If Grealish was our preference and we believed we could get him, why would you sign your second option while that deal is still alive? As for believing that Grealish was the cheaper option, I really don't believe that. Maddison went for £22m. My understanding is we were prepared to go to £25m for Grealish.
Maddison did go for less than what Villa wanted for Grealish under £20m is did let accepted. Also I have watched both and I would question the judgement of whoever made the decision that he was a better bet than Maddison. I said the same to EX. The developmental arch of both players showed me James was accelerating at a rate Grealish has yet to match when the age difference is taken into account. Bare in mind Villas financial woes and last second investment they were in a stronger position to hold out for top dollar. As for why you would buy a number two target over number one you wouldn't You were going for a number two target over no one. I think he'd certainly have improved us over what we got.

Last edited:
Maddison did go for less than what Villa wanted for Grealish under £20m is did let accepted. Also I have watched both and I would question the judgement of whoever made the decision that he was a better bet than Maddison. I said the same to EX. The developmental arch of both players showed me James was accelerating at a rate Grealish has yet to match when the age difference is taken into account. Bare in mind Villas financial woes and last second investment they were in a stronger position to hold out for top dollar. As for why you would buy a number two target over number one you wouldn't You were going for a number two target over no one. I think he'd certainly have improved us over what we got.
I can't argue that Maddison looks a steal, but until we see Grealish back in the PL it's hard to say who's the better player. I have to admits his anti Spurs comments put me off him, but he does look good.

I can't argue that Maddison looks a steal, but until we see Grealish back in the PL it's hard to say who's the better player. I have to admits his anti Spurs comments put me off him, but he does look good.
I hear you mate but we have had Adebayor and bloody Gallas!!

Pretty sure Maddison chose Toffees based upon potential playing time.

Not too sure we'd have seen him play for us yet this season, except maybe some later sub chances.

He'd have been a good signing for us, but not as a starting challenger I dont think.

I think Foden surpasses both.

I was hoping we would use the carrot of Pep's desire to get Walker and make Foden part of the deal.

So was I, but they believe Foden will be huge, I think they maybe right. I was hoping he'd lose patience, but I don't think he will now from what I hear.

Foden was a great shout Rich.

So was I, but they believe Foden will be huge, I think they maybe right. I was hoping he'd lose patience, but I don't think he will now from what I hear.

Foden was a great shout Rich.

Sadly Ex, whilst they are in the driving seat I think they are right. One of the first things I noticed about him was his awareness, having that innate picture of what is around him before receiving the ball. He then has the instant control, range of passing and wonderful poise in possession to make all his talent flourish. Very gifted player.

Sadly Ex, whilst they are in the driving seat I think they are right. One of the first things I noticed about him was his awareness, having that innate picture of what is around him before receiving the ball. He then has the instant control, range of passing and wonderful poise in possession to make all his talent flourish. Very gifted player.

100% agree, and the type of player we are sorely lacking at the minute!

See Grealish has signed a new five year deal with Villa good! He has zero goals in what nine games. Mean while the eminently available James Maddison is adding goals and assist in the Prem at a fraction of the price he looked a sound understudy to the outgoing Eriksen to me and I said it here, yet we sat on our hands pretending there were no option ls bar Grealish and Zaha. Spurs huh...?

I don’t understand the Maddison situation.

We were all over him when he was at Coventry.

It’s almost like he reject us and that’s that

Grelish obviously not impressed with spurs

Maddison really would have made a massive impact here. He was exactly what we needed.

Maybe he doesn't like us?

He was in our price range so something doesn't add up.

I was hoping we would use the carrot of Pep's desire to get Walker and make Foden part of the deal.
I keep reading that we should have tried to get him in the Walker deal, didn't try and get another one of their youngster but they wouldn't play ball. Was it the lad that went to Dortmund?

Maddison really would have made a massive impact here. He was exactly what we needed.

You have to take a look at who was advising him; the consensus from those around him was to be at a PL club who'd guarantee him a start - for right or wrong, we just don't do that.

Poch believes you have to earn the right, and every target gets told that.

So, they went in another direction.

Maddison made the right choice. He would have never gotten as much game time with us that he is getting now.

leicester know they have a player who will bring them a lot of money when/if he is sold.

Also worth remembering that a club that talks in multiple voices isn't a great club either. I completely lost it with Harry when he kept having those sly digs at his chairman live on TV. According to him, we had made it to the promised land of CL and it was up to his chairman to bring in the special players, which he obviously wasn't doing. However, according to the website we had 35 senior players such was Harry's multi-year stockpiling of dross. The balance sheet also told us that Harry had taken up salaries by 50% and that was where his transfer kitty had gone. That was a mess and it was clear that Levy had learnt from those days.

The one thing I'll say about Poch is that he has mostly spoken on behalf of THFC rather than himself for the last 4 years. With zero / no net spending and salary / contract issues along the way he still keeps that stiff upper lip. He also has a chairman who is scared of facing the media and just hides in his office, so Poch takes the brunt of the flak about the stadium, transfer window, contracts etc. Then you have Poch's biggest burden of 4 years of compliments about his management, yet no trophies. It's not easy for Poch and not sure I can blame him for having a wobble in front of the media recently.

Ultimately, Poch now needs to get his head down and do what he does best, coaching. He needs to be planning to build his second great Spurs team knowing that the writing is on the wall for some of his existing squad. That's actually what he does best. If he can get top 4 again, nobody will be surprised. Let's face it, either of the 2 domestic trophies would cheer up every Spurs fan.