Summer 2013 | Page 16 | Vital Football

Summer 2013

What we've signed is good enough for the spl or whatever it's called now , counter attack in europe and progressing a couple for re-sale in a couple of years ..... they match the level of our cautious on field ambition ... some may prove decent buys and hopefully they will given time but our lack of ambition is frightening and highlights our downward spiral in the bigger picture .

Balde and Boeriggter figure into the mix and they may have to carry a bigger load than expected in league games. We can't have Stokes and Pukki playing 90 minutes every Wednesday and every Saturday. Stokes is not exactly durable and Pukki just has not history of playing that much football over a season. The money is there. It's just bullshit. I'm telling you, they figured they would just enjoy Europe through December and scale back to Europa ambitions, fattening the savings.

What I can't get my head around is sending Watt out on loan with a thin and unproven striking squad. The bhoy did score against Barcelona. He is pretty quick and certainly good enough to play against weaker SPL clubs so we can rest better players for the European games. It's daft. And if they sat back with the comfort that Sammy is a striker, it's even more daft.

NL certainly wasn't happy with the lack of ready-made signings but is please with who we've brought in.

Pukki he sees as someone a bit further developed than others we have already and will hopefully develop into something even better but it's still just potential at the moment.
Balde is a work in progress and NL admitted that.
Derk is ready to go but his injuries have held him back, we'll see the best of him when fit.
VVD is young but it is felt he will need about 10 games to get used to SPFL and will then take it all easily in his stride (as was evident from his performance this weekend).
Moyoukolo was brought in as a squad player, cover for our defence and as such they are happy with how he has done so far, not expecting much more from him I don't think.
Biton is young but has decent experience already, still a bit of work in progress so can expect to be a squad player this season.

I don't understand sending Watt out on loan with us being so weak up front but I hope it will be good for him! I would assume we have a recall clause in the deal in case any of our strikers pick up injuries that we would need to call Watt back. It could also see Atajic featuring on the bench more often this season and hopefully he will get a similar chance to Watt to show he can score and play in the first team.

Tomlin I'm glad we didn't get, I watched a video of him and I wasn't impressed, some decent goals but nothing to shout about.

It's easy enough to say we should have replaced Hooper with a proven goal-scorer but to be honest, there were not that many out there to choose from. Clearly there was a reason Hosiner wasn't chased by clubs and I would assume that same reason made us not go after him as well. Beyond that, most of the top scorers that we could afford, would offer us value for money and add quality have already moved to other clubs.

I think that was the other key thing about our transfer dealings, and NL understood this....we have to look for value for money, if we are going to spend £5m on a player, they have to be the right age, the right quality and already to first team standard but also give us the option to sell for a profit. Finbogasson it was deemed would fit most of the criteria but it seems his work rate on the pitch, would not have been such a good fit as he more or less waits for the ball to arrive and then sticks it in the net. Clearly we need and want someone who can do more for the team as well!

I expect to see a slightly busier January window from us!

wee_od_88 - 1/9/2013 23:16

I expect to see a slightly busier January window from us!

I don't.

btw, the asking price for a reliable, proven goalscorer who also runs himself into the ground and generally does more than 'just' score a lot of goals usually starts north of £30m

One word sums up Watt's departure to Belgium > discipline < his goal against Barca was great for Celtic as a team and for us the supporters but it was not good for Watt in terms of development , he thought he had it made after that goal and adopted a big time charlie attitude which basically stunted his progression as well as having a disruptive and detrimental effect on the training pitch at Lennoxtown ,, the boy has natural talent of that there can be no question but his indifference to to authority and his casual approach to training schedules left the management in a catch 22 and especially with new recruits coming on board ..... they just couldn't afford the risk of his petulance having an adverse effect on those around him and it would no doubt have been a tough call to farm him out but everything we try to achieve at the club needs the compliance and honest contribution of everyone and there could be no exemption for a kid who's negativity was likely to cause further disruption down the line ....... hopefully he'll knuckle down and come back and do a decent job for us in the future but history tells us that players who go out on loan rarely ,, if ever ,, make the grade ....... it's a shame but it's of his own doing and I cannot in this instance level criticism at anyone other than Tony Watt ...... the ball is literally at his feet .

This is news to me about Watt's petulance and indifference to discipline. Where did this come from? I haven't read a lick of it. Disclaimer: That may mean fuck all since Scottish footy beat writers are far more concerned with with the daisy chain of buggery going on at sevco buttknock than at Parkhead. Normally, that's a true blessing, but in this case I'd like better coverage.

Ghents, this is a case of the front office abusing our goodwill. Park and Lenny have brought in amazing, nay, exciting players on a cheap budget. They won another SPL title, a cup and gave us a great ride in Europe that we haven't seen since Strachan. Now they figure they can draw on that political capital account and pad the pound side of the ledger. Plain and simply, Bhoys. Lenny knows it better than anyone. It was a cynical transfer window. And while I generally agree with Wee Od's transfer assessment, January is a a month to get ripped off on transfers and little ever happens. Maybe we can get Robbie Keane again. :emoticon:83

If we get someone significant in the January window, I'll grow me a tadger in the middle of my forehead with a big scrod before my eyes.

It's no secret that such a problem exists with Watt and the Celtic coaches Welch although in fairness neither side has chosen to air their respective views outside of the training ground , he most definitely has illusions of grandeur though and seems to think he's much further down the road in terms of progression than he actually is , don't get me wrong , there is nothing wrong with him having faith in his own ability or even a cocky swagger but he's still to earn his stripes yet before he merits those accolades .....

I read an article attributed to him this morning in which he wastes no time in enthusing at the prospect of his loan move to Lierse stating that he was told of the option on Friday and it was sorted before our 11:00pm deadline , how he had sought out advice from Rami Gershon and how much he was looking forward to the move ......... the one thing he never mentioned was Celtic ....not once ! now normally in these circumstances the player overstates his desire to come back a better and more experienced player and is intent on re staking his claim for inclusion on his return etc etc .... the fact that he omitted his parent club instinctively tells me that there is sure fire substance to the claims being made of alleged disharmony and disunity on the home front and I have very grave reservations about his chances of a return to us ...... as Tic says , maybe it a direct clash of personalities with NL himself but whatever it is there's a fair chance it'll end his career at Celtic once and for all .

Maybe Stev is right and he is T.Watt! :emoticon:15 Well, could we always recall Mo Bangura to resolve our striker problems? :emoticon:03 Sometimes you have to laugh even if you really want to pound the table.

Still expecting us to sign a couple of out of contract players ...... if anyone signs today they'll be eligible to register for CL if we have any slots left and after that spfl only .

I didn't realise the problems with Watt either......they obviously put up with it because they would rather have his talent than not have it. He's going to have to produce on his loan otherwise he's no chance when he returns.

I sincerely hope this is not the end for him because we need someone like him to come through the ranks. He's got more talent than most of the others around his age.

On the out on loan note.......Callum McGregor is having a pretty good time down at Notts County it seems. I watched him play against Liverpool the other week and he was playing a sort of attacking midfielder/striker role. He showed his skill, pace, strength...he didn't look out of place but just a little young and inexperienced compared to others. He helped Notts County push Liverpool all the way to extra time and didn't look too tired despite his running all game. A lot of our players couldn't last 90 minutes never mind an extra half an hour on top of that!

I think we have high hopes that his return could result in him actually making the first team. If not........someone down south will be happy to snap him up for a few hundred thousand!

As for free agents......I think there are one or two that may be worth us going for. Without Watt, we could do with trying to bring in Otman Bakkal. It's clear we want someone else to help cover for Izzy so there is Serbian LB who is also capable of playing LM or LW apparently......Ivan Obradovic.

Absolutely fuming to hear that West Brom almost sold Shane Long to Hull for £5m......they stopped because they weren't going to get in the players they wanted to replace him.

That would have been a cracking buy for us and I think for someone like Long, we would have paid the £5m!

Apparently we tried to sign Anco Jansen from Dutch side De Graafschap on a loan until January with a view to buy if he made sufficient impact....apparently we wouldn't give them as much money for the loan as they wanted.....a difference of some £65k or something........

Shane Log for £5m? He's good but not great, but he would have been perfect for us. What the fuck?

Wages ...! don't know what Long is on at West Brom or what Hull would have offered him but it's safe to assume that both would have been considerably more than our wage structure would have afforded him ..... and therein lies our problem ... we've discussed the absurdity of the money go round down there on this site for years ,, how it it basically amounts to madness and will ultimately prove to be unsustainable ... I still feel that it's only a matter of time before it all goes tits up but right now it shows no signs of abating and the longer it continues then the further down the food chain we'll tumble .

Given what Real paid for Bale, it's getting worse.

In other transfer news, Darren Ferguson is in wadded panties over our last-minute move for Tomlin. What a piker. Teams bid at the last minute. It's a fact. Players get distracted during the window. It's another fact. Deal with it, shithead. And last, maybe the boy is distracted because he wanted to leave! Because he does want to leave and go to Celtic!

Think Ferguson and his chairman are both a couple of diddies tbh as the only way young Tomlin would have known of our alleged bid at half time when he was hooked was if one of Them told him ..... what really pisses me off is us allegedly shopping in Peterborough .... :emoticon:22 :emoticon:22 :emoticon:22

Forgot Callum McGregor was out on loan, cheers for the reminder and info wee_od. High hopes for him within the club.

Some info one of your fav prospects...

Celtic Football ClubVerified account ?@celticfc

Full time: Celtic 2 (P. Twardzik 73, 84 (pen)) St Johnstone 2 (Kane 3 (pen) McIlduff og 60)

Peterborough :emoticon:06

I'm actually relieved that we haven't thrown good money at any free agents. Still disappointed at not bringing in a poacher. Even a billy sharp type of signing would've done us a turn in the short term.

In other news, the sevconians are apoplectic and spewing every shade of conceivable bile at Peter Lawwell being voted on to the SFA board. [img=http://www.celtic.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=546] [img=http://www.celtic.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=253]

Patrik Twardzik will not make it at Celtic.....his development was slightly behind Filip and even with Filip's injury, Patrik still is nowhere to be seen near our first team in pre-season. I don't know what position he is anymore either, for a while he was a striker, then a winger, then could play anywhere as part of a front 3 and even on occasion and when necessary, I think he filled in at defence! He is one of those who really needs to get out loan and try and progress a little bit, he's got some talent but as yet he has been unable to show enough that he is capable of making it into our first team or even onto the bench.

When you consider the raft of young talent coming through; Waters, Henderson, Findlay......he really needs to start pushing on! I don't think he has much time left at the club. Filip took his chances in the first team and has performed fairly well, especially when we first saw him against Arsenal at the Emirates all those years ago......unfortunately he sustained an injury at the start of last season which has seen him have a 3rd operation just a month or so ago and it is expected he will be out for at least half of this season while he recovers and starts training again.

I still have hope for Filip and think that if he can come back fitter and stronger then he could still make it. He's unlikely to be one of our stars but he'd make a good squad player and I still think his versatility and playmaker skills could see him come good for us!

McGregor looks like he has the potential to be our next James Forrest.......he looks good and isn't afraid of anything, yet he's quite a quiet lad and I think that bodes well for him when you consider Tony Watt and how things are going with his attitude!

Sevco will get mad at anything that doesn't favour them.....the days of them getting everything their own way are over, nobody's afraid of them or any of their board anymore!

I wouldn't was us to throw money at free agents either but I'm going to have another look and see if any more players have become available as some players were told just before the end of the window that their contract was being cancelled or it was a mutual thing so there could still be one or two good signings out there.

:emoticon:19 :emoticon:19 :emoticon:19 :emoticon:19 :emoticon:19 Jeezo ,, the huns will be turning in their graves ..... :emoticon:05 :emoticon:05 :emoticon:05

Latest Celtic News