Summer '17 | Page 7 | Vital Football

Summer '17

See....I'm pretty good at this scouting malarky! Haha! :emoticon:15 :emoticon:19 As you know I don't go on Twitter much these days so I hadn't heard that one at all. Good to see I'm on the right tracks potentially though!
I was having a look around and you've got CBs who are 22-24 and they're already valued at £3.5m+ and most of them are just playing for medium/small teams on the continent, no European or even international experience......so that tells you that if you want a CB of the sort of quality we do, we need to pay the money for it! Simunovic now looks a bit of a steal at £4-5m......prices everywhere are going up, even for defenders! It's knocking a few clubs back down to our level now though. Look at FC Basel.....look at Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon, these clubs were big hitters and were taking guys away from us and even competing with some of the biggest clubs in Europe....but they're now getting outbid and can't continue to keep forking out millions on players anymore. They can generally still splash more than we can but it's becoming a more level playing field. Put them next to a Stoke or a club like that though....Stoke can outbid them by about 2 or 3 times! Stoke just paid £18m for Kevin Wimmer from Spurs. He's not even played the equivalent of 4 full seasons, probably about 3.5 seasons over the last 5 years and is only valued around £6.5m......but he probably had 2 or 3 years left on his deal and he wasn't first choice......but he still sells for £18m! It's just crazy! That's the reason we are going to have to spend at least £4-5m on a new CB.

Yes Irvine was the big lad with the long hair and ponytail. Glad for him if the move happens!

Great news about VVD if this finally goes through! I'd heard it was £75m but even still, one player has netter us somewhere in the region of £20m from a direct sale and then a sell-on clause! Just incredible!

wee_od_88 - 29/8/2017 14:48

So we're also being linked with out of favour Hertha Berlin attacker Valentin Stocker. Can play a number of positions in the forward area. The Swiss international wants first team football to make sure he keeps his place in the Switzerland national team and it doesn't look like he'll get much at Hertha. Former club FC Basel are said to be interested but apparently they're going to struggle with the 4m Euro asking price. With only 1 year left on his current contract and valued at £2.7m, 4m Euro is perhaps on the steep side for a player they don't even seem to want.
If we're actually interested, it could be a loan move for the 28 year old as similar to Basel, we might not be willing to pay that much, especially for a player who isn't going to be a first choice striker and he is unlikely to beat others out of the team to start on the wing. The only place he might start is in Rogic's position behind the striker, but we don't always play that formation!

[youtube=coY2TYnLaLw]

Missed this one on the previous page.

Aye, him and Denswil both mentioned on twitter. Both of their contracts are up next summer

Shane Long is another doing the rounds.

Only two more days of transfer rumour bingo left...

CB and Striker!

The latest from twitter:

Celtic are in advanced negotiations with PSG over the possible loan of forward Odsonne Édouard, according to Le Parisien.

He's also a great shot... :emoticon:33

Cardiff still want Hayes on loan, which is madder than a bag of mad frogs!

I'll update as the mentalness develops

Things have ramped up a little bit. We're said to be in negotiations with PSG for Edouard, he looks good but no experience of first team football really. But that probably makes sense to be back-up to Griffiths and then 3rd choice once Dembele is back as well. I wonder if playing him against PSG in the CL could be a sticking point in negotiations........

Denayer also now being mentioned as potential CB cover. Only on loan though. That's the only problem I'm hearing at the moment, too many players in on loan! I'd rather we were buying these guys! However I do trust in BR and I think he'll be keeping an eye out for other bright young prospects like Kouassi and that's the sort of young player he'll target. Then again, it's not all about young players! We could do with an experienced head or 2.

The cheek of Cardiff is just astonishing....."aww if you don't want him then feel free to loan him to us......" :emoticon:13

Thankfully Denayer is off to Galatasaray.

An unbelievably lazy option from us for a player who has been poor since his loan with us ended. VVD would've made Rafael Scheidt & Du Wei look brilliant!

We better have another f'n CB option lined up and ready to go! No effin excuses will be acceptable!

Cardiff wanted to buy Hayes before we bought him. With the arrival of Roberts they probably thought him now being behind PR and JF in the right wing pecking order they might have got him on loan. Whereas on the the other wing he's only likely behind Sinclair. And if he isn't first in the queue behind Sinclair then I really have to question why we bought him.

Haven't seen or heard much else today. Better not f this up!

The French sniper might be a goer. Reports from Franceshire suggest deal done - loan with the option to buy. :emoticon:25 :emoticon:25 :emoticon:25 :emoticon:25

Just a CB needed now. BADLY needed now. FLUCKIN badly needed now!

If BR has identified he needs back-up at striker now then he MUST realise we need reinforcements at CB! He didn't particularly want to sign either but with injuries and clear signs of concern in both areas.....both positions are vital.

It looks like Edouard will sign today.....still no news on a CB though.

Aden Flint........"who the hell is he?" Is what you're all thinking. Well he's a CB we've been linked with. English, 6ft 6, plays for Bristol City in the Championship....sounding good so far right? He's 28 and has been at Bristol for 4 years having moved from Swindon....valued at £900k but Birmingham have seemingly had a bid of £3.5m turned down for him....

This is surely not a goer.......if it wasn't for the ridiculous price and lack of experience I could get on board, even at 28.....but I just think this is not what we need!

Denswil move to Brighton has been stopped due to an injury to one of Brugge's other CB's

The Flint 'rumour' came from a blog where some guy suggested Flint might be a player we should maybe look at. Utter bullshit which is why I ignored it last night.

What the fuck have we been doing for the past 5 or 6 days after we knew the Rivaldo deal had fallen through?

Henderson linked with a move to Hibs.....permanent or loan? Unsure but he's obviously played for Hibs on loan before and he's played under Lennon. Surprised it's taken Lennon this long to go for him if it's true. It doesn't look like Henderson will make the cut at Celtic anymore but if he leaves now or next season (when his contract is up anyway) then he could still become a really good player in my opinion. It's just going to be tough for him to do it at Celtic! Or at least for now. We could sell him and then sign him again in a few years if we need a CM and he's managed to achieve his potential!

Apparently we 'priced' Preston out of a move for Henderson. £300k :emoticon:19

Hibs looking likely then but doubt they'd buy him when his contract is up at the end of the season as you say.

Can't see us signing a CB now. Effin joke.

But don't worry, Bitton will be PSG's MOTM in 2 weeks time :emoticon:35

Conflicting reports tonight. Earlier it seemed we had someone in Croatia to try and get a deal done for Filip Benkovic. A cracking defender and would have cost us a lot of money but there are now stories coming out saying that it's not happening at all. It's too late for a deal like that now. If anything is going to happen with a CB it will need to be a loan from England or something I'd suggest.

Still waiting on confirmation of Edouard getting in to Glasgow as well. Apparently it's a loan with option to buy for 10m Euros! :emoticon:10

The sniper is done. http://www.celticfc.net/news/13174

CELTIC tonight are thrilled to announce the signing of highly-rated French striker Odsonne Edouard from Paris Saint-Germain on a season-long loan deal, with the club obtaining an option to buy the player.

The 19-year-old earned a reputation as one of the hottest prospects in European football when he helped fire France to glory at the UEFA European U17 Championship.

He set a new record in the competition, finding the net eight times, including a hat-trick in the final against Germany. These feats saw him named as the tournament’s Golden Player.

A product of PSG’s academy, the French Guiana-born player enjoyed a prolific record in front of goal at various youth levels for the Ligue 1 club.

After starring for the Parisians’ second-string, Edouard netted on his first senior appearance for PSG, completing the scoring in a 4-0 triumph over Leicester in the 2016 International Champions Cup. He spent last season on loan at French top-flight side Toulouse.

Edouard becomes Celtic’s fifth signing of the summer transfer window, following the arrivals of Jonny Hayes, Kundai Benyu, Olivier Ntcham and Patrick Roberts, as Brendan Rodgers’ side aim to continue their domestic dominance and look forward to another UEFA Champions League adventure.

The new Bhoy said: "I am absolutely delighted to be joining Celtic, one of the world's truly great football clubs, and I can’t wait to wear the famous Celtic jersey.

"I am really looking forward to meeting my new team-mates and we will work hard together to bring our fans as much success as possible.'

Odsonne Edouard will be unveiled to the media at a press conference tomorrow afternoon at Celtic Park.

Aiden Nesbitt has left the club to join NO Dons. Not surprised as he didn't have that good a season in the championship despite featuring regularly for Morton and wasn't included by BR. He seemed to be a bright star but yet again failed to step up to the first team.

Just thinking about our deal for Edouard......very clever thinking really! If Dembele leaves in January or next summer once he's returned to fitness and starts banging in the goals again, we already have a deal in place to effectively sign his replacement! Here's hoping Edouard can perform somewhere near as well as Dembele, he certainly appears to have the attributes and potential, it's just a case of getting it out of him but we've seen BR has quite the knack for doing just that!

The window is no longer ajar.

<b><u>Summer report card</b></u>

Ntcham, Roberts and Edouard = Excellent business for 3 outstanding young players.

Hayes = Experienced and will have a part to play domestically.

Benyu = Big potential and BR clearly rates the kid and will improve him.

Armstrong = re-signed a major goal scoring CM. To add to Rogic and CalMac.

Reduced the squad size whilst not only retaining all of our highly coveted invincibles but adding further top notch quality to it. Didn't have to spend a great deal to achieve it either which leaves us with a shed load of cash going forward plus a squad of young players whose value is only increasing exponentially. This leaves us in a position where we can buy in the quality of player the manager wants when they become available. It also means we can tie up permanent deals for the likes of Roberts and Edouard. The only downside (and a major one imo) is that the type of CB the manager wanted wasn't available after the Coetzee deal failed.

The PSG game is 12 days away. Assuming Jozo returns from international duty unscathed then only Boyata has a very slim chance of partnering him. Pushing Boyata too soon could backfire just as badly as playing him whilst lacking both match fitness and match sharpness. Surely a 6 month loan deal could have been tied up for an experienced CB to provide cover?

On a more upbeat note...

Perhaps most importantly going forward, we are now seen as a highly desirable proposition and destination for some of the worlds top young players to come and develop.

Latest Celtic News