Summer '14 - '15 | Page 21 | Vital Football

Summer '14 - '15

Some big numbers are being thrown around on VvD and he says the competition in Scotland is weak. He's going.

ONLY if someone actually makes one of those offers though! Don't get me wrong I think he'll be going but until we have definite proof of a club making a bid and taking him, we can't really sign a player to replace him, otherwise it might end being a waste of money.

Jonathan Mensah's agent has confirmed our interest in the Ghana CB and said talks are ongoing.....despite him being given a 4 month ban! The ban comes from CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport) and is around his disputed move from Udinese to FC Evian in 2011. That means he would miss the start of the season but apparently we're still interested. I suppose at the end of the day, if we can get him we should....especially as his value has apparently risen to around £5m now!
That would mean we DEFINITELY need another CB in the summer regardless of what happens with VVD.

After I posted that yesterday, I saw a story from the same website (Daily Record) saying that we're not interested anymore because of the ban.......so they can't make their minds up as to what we want to do. But in the story that suggest we weren't interested, it still had the same quote from his agent saying that talks were ongoing.....

The ban is 4 months, the first of which will be served as the last month of his current deal with FC Evian, it then starts again from the start of our season, so 3 months from that. So we'd probably have him from around October time.
It's certainly not ideal but at the same time, can we afford to pass up a good defender worth around £5m for nothing?

Our hopes of landing Dutch LB, Mitchell Dijks seem to be fading! It seems Ajax, the club who let him leave just last year.....want him back!!! They had a 50% sell on clause so they would effectively only be paying half the £1m asking price. De Boer met with the player yesterday, Feyenoord have held talks with his agent but it seems Ajax are now in pole position. Perhaps we should step up our interest and try and convince him to join us instead of letting a talented player get away with hardly a whimper from us.....

Nir Bitton is now being targeted by Sunderland. Regardless of whether Dick Advocaat stays or not, Sunderland want Bitton after being impressed in the game against Inter Milan and have followed him since. They are apparently readying a £5m offer.
Considering we signed him in 2013 on a 4 year deal for only £700k....is that a good offer we should consider? Or should we hold on to him to help our progression?

Willem II's sporting director (or something like that) has confirmed only ONE team has actually made a bid for Mitchell Dijks and that it is a foreign club......believed to be Celtic! We've apparently put in an £800k bid despite an apparent asking price of £1m.....we are however the only club not to have met with the player it seems.......

Bitton already said he wants an extension and wants to stay at Celtic. I do not believe we will sell him and don't think we should. He's an essential part of the spine of the club and since we're already having to replace the two CBs (or at least one) we need stability in the middle of the park. Plus, Bitton grew significantly over the course of the season. The best is probably yet to come.

Totally agree welch! Although if he continues to impress, we might struggle to hold on to him for any more than a year or 2. 2 years left on his current deal but I could see him being given a new contract on improved terms just in case someone comes calling, that way we can ask more money!

Apparently we're interested in Scott Allan, the former Dundee Utd and West Brom midfielder who is now at Hibs and was voted player of the season. No doubt he's a talented lad but I watched him in the game against Rangers last weekend and I thought he was wasteful!
Plus I'm not sure we need someone like him at the moment.

Also apparently interested in Polish CB Rafal Janicki of Lechia Gdansk. He's almost 23 and is also apparently being targeted by numerous Bundesliga clubs! I really can't tell you much more about him. It seems he may have been called up to the full Polish national team but has yet to make his debut.

I have read good things about Janicki and he is quite versatile. Seems a good target.

Scott Allan is a head scratcher. I think he is pretty good and he was involved in everything for Hibs in that match. That's not necessarily a good thing as they were pretty sloppy, but he has been very good for him this season. The question is, why? If you figure Brown, Johnason and Bitton are automatic starts, then you have Forrest, Commons, GMS, Armstrong and Mulgrew all competing for the other two spots. And we're supposedly chasing Van Der Vaart.

Maybe we're just trying to up the price on rangers. I hope that's the case. :emoticon:90 :emoticon:90 :emoticon:90

Well it seems that might be one of the key reasons for our interest right now in Allan....we don't want Rangers getting him! Although I heard he may be a Rangers fan......
I saw him playing mainly on the left side of midfield for Hibs against Rangers, so he'd be battling it out with Armstrong, Forrest, Stokes, GMS......

I hope you're right about Janicki welch, that sounds promising!

I'm still hoping we have a chance for Dijks but I did read earlier that one journalist is reporting that he's signed for Ajax or has agreed to sign for them......which kind of contradicts reports yesterday from the sporting director of Willem II.
Would it also not be illegal? I thought if you were contracted to a club then the club that wants you has to either get permission from his current club or they have to actually put in a bid and have that agreed before being able to even speak to the player.

Who knows on Dijks, but it does seem that it's not going to happen.

No sense signing a rangers fan. Kenny Miller played well for them and was awful for us. His heart was not in scoring for us. Asshole that he is.

Latest Celtic News