Style of football and enjoyment of going v points | Page 2 | Vital Football

Style of football and enjoyment of going v points

Only time we had both was 73/4 with his Highness Alan Wilks.

Second best for entertainment was under Sir Keith and the attendances were abysmal. Never understood why they were so bad given that we were quite successful (I take account of attendances everywhere being poor in those days).

Yes. General downturn in gates everywhere in the 80’s. Look at some figures back then and you see things like Chelsea having less than 10k at Stamford Bridge. Spurs getting 20k etc. Wimbledon get more now in div 3 than they did in the old first division. I went to a (what is now) L1 game at Charlton v Hull and the gate was something like 6k at the old Valley. I was impressed it was even that high from memory. They often got a lot less.

The other thing was the Dockyard closure (and a lot of others afterwards) hit us particularly badly.

I think our whole attendance average for the 80’s was under 4K. That’s despite us often challenging around the top.

Edit - I just found the Chalton game I went to on YouTube. 3-2 Charlton. Didn’t realise until now that there were 5 future Gills players in the team that day. Tydeman, Hales, Colin Powell, Peter Shaw and I think Les Berry.

Take a peek at the highlights to see the sparse crowd.

Last edited:
I was referring to the first instalment of PT.
For me that was the best football I've ever seen from a Gills team, though it took a bit of time for the players to buy into the "new" style of play after playing for Pulis
Sir Keith's boys were a bit more buccaneering. Andy Nelsons side wasn't too shabby and Gerry Summers teams played some nice stuff.
More than happy with a long pass (used to love watching Glen Hoddle back in the day), got no time for an aimless hoof.

His team was built on a great defence, wasn’t it a record low number of goals Stannard conceded that season?
A bit like when Martin Allen won us the League 2 title, the low goals against was the key to it, we were great at winning away and not conceding, the home form wasn’t as good overall but we kept the results ticking over.
It was the most clean sheets in a season - 29. Think I'm right in saying the record still stands. Big fat big fat Jim, big fat big fat Jim, big fat big fat Jim, big fat Jimmy Stannard...

As you can imagine, living in Devon I have met a few Exeter fans.
Their expectations are to play nice free flowing football and just miss out on the last playoff place or, make the playoffs and then get kicked and bullied by a team that plays it direct.
They get pretty small crowds even though most seasons they are flirting with the top.

Last season we were a joy to watch much of the time especially with the high energy and high press. It wasn’t long ball per se is was just very direct and positive. I think it suited us.

As you can imagine, living in Devon I have met a few Exeter fans.
Their expectations are to play nice free flowing football and just miss out on the last playoff place or, make the playoffs and then get kicked and bullied by a team that plays it direct.
They get pretty small crowds even though most seasons they are flirting with the top.

I think actually the last few seasons they have done well crowd wise and average over 5k now. That is impressive as they have generally been a smaller club existing on 3 or 4K crowds historically.

I think actually the last few seasons they have done well crowd wise and average over 5k now. That is impressive as they have generally been a smaller club existing on 3 or 4K crowds historically.
You’ve got to factor in that they are a City side. Usually teams in cities get larger crowds.
In their case there is no competition from other teams.
Plymouth down the road is in excess of 10k.
Again, no competition.