Stupid stuff... | Page 7 | Vital Football

Stupid stuff...

You know, Mrs N's wholemeal foolproof recipe is a lot easier than this.

Bread is the simplest food of life. ;)

Ah ok, interesting. I'm trying a few things out with different containers at the minute, as each time I dump it on a baking tray I get a weird sort of floppy beret shape that rises unevenly!
Do you knead the dough until you get the "window pane" effect?
You could be overproofing it if it flops.
First proof 3.5 hrs
Second overnight in the fridge.

You know, Mrs N's wholemeal foolproof recipe is a lot easier than this.

Bread is the simplest food of life. ;)
Yes but this is simple ingredients. Flour, salt and water only, and a starter you have to feed weekly with flour, that's it. Made this way for centuries.
No man made yeast required.

Do you knead the dough until you get the "window pane" effect?
You could be overproofing it if it flops.
First proof 3.5 hrs
Second overnight in the fridge.
I give it a good old knead until it's good and elastic, although I have never got it to stretch thin enough for the window pane effect (close, though). That's how I've been proving it too, following this recipe and method:
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sourdough-bread/amp

Not entirely convinced it needs the honey in there.

I give it a good old knead until it's good and elastic, although I have never got it to stretch thin enough for the window pane effect (close, though). That's how I've been proving it too, following this recipe and method:
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sourdough-bread/amp

Not entirely convinced it needs the honey in there.
Knead it until you pull it apart and you can see it's really thin. If it tears before it gets thin it needs more kneading (my mate does a no knead method. You only fold the dough a few times between provings but it takes a lot of time to make).

I leave my starter out of the fridge overnight, Friday, make a leaven the following morning, Saturday and leave it 9 to 11 hours to rise.
Mix the flour, water and salt; knead 20 to 30 mins by hand or use a mixer.
Leave in mixing bowl covered with cling film between 3.5 and 4 hours to rise.
Knock it back then place in a floured banneton and leave in the fridge overnight and cook Sunday morning. No tea towel required.

Sugar, or honey, is added to make the crust firmer but I can't tell the difference so don't use any.

Took me a year to get the knack and even gave up for a while because my dough was really sticky and I didn't know what to do. Keep at it because it's rewarding. My mate's rosemary and sea salt focaccia is to die for, especially with olive tapenade.

Knead it until you pull it apart and you can see it's really thin. If it tears before it gets thin it needs more kneading (my mate does a no knead method. You only fold the dough a few times between provings but it takes a lot of time to make).

I leave my starter out of the fridge overnight, Friday, make a leaven the following morning, Saturday and leave it 9 to 11 hours to rise.
Mix the flour, water and salt; knead 20 to 30 mins by hand or use a mixer.
Leave in mixing bowl covered with cling film between 3.5 and 4 hours to rise.
Knock it back then place in a floured banneton and leave in the fridge overnight and cook Sunday morning. No tea towel required.

Sugar, or honey, is added to make the crust firmer but I can't tell the difference so don't use any.

Took me a year to get the knack and even gave up for a while because my dough was really sticky and I didn't know what to do. Keep at it because it's rewarding. My mate's rosemary and sea salt focaccia is to die for, especially with olive tapenade.
Thanks for the advice. I must be more patient with the kneading then I guess, or perhaps give the mixer a whirl. Otherwise your technique is pretty much exactly what I do, and will do now with the banneton.

My crust tends to be pretty firm so maybe I'll try leaving the honey out and seeing if it's a little better.

I do enjoy it, I have to say. I'll keep going and trying to hone my technique, and hopefully get it mastered eventually! I bet that focaccia is good, love rosemary in breads!

YeastMan salutes you! He once tried to treat an unfortunate Thrush infection with Caneston. When you're a man made of yeast, how stupid is that? 😁

It was worse than - he took a tablet! Not pretty...

I'm trying to grow a new YeastMan from my sour-dough starter as we talk.
Oh dear! Did he go supernova? Must have been messy.
Have you taken the plunge and set up your own bread dynasty then?

Oh dear! Did he go supernova? Must have been messy.
Have you taken the plunge and set up your own bread dynasty then?

I haven't, I'm ashamed to say. Just riffing on the theme.

Bread is Mrs N's preserve. She's doing a cheese and chive wholemeal loaf tomorrow.

I'm not sure either of us have the patience for sour-dough.

I haven't, I'm ashamed to say. Just riffing on the theme.

Bread is Mrs N's preserve. She's doing a cheese and chive wholemeal loaf tomorrow.

I'm not sure either of us have the patience for sour-dough.
Ah, fair enough. Sounds like Mrs N has bread making down anyway! Cheese and chive cannot be bad.

It does take a bit of work with the kneading, bit otherwise it's just planning ahead and being patient. Tasty results generally, I've found. But not for everyone.