Stupid stuff... | Vital Football

Stupid stuff...

NottyImp

Vital Football Legend
... you wish you hadn't done.

I once decided - for reasons that escape me - to run down a hill whilst on a walking holiday in Derbyshire.

Result: broken leg.

Ouch!

I once did the opposite - decided on my lunch break at Lincoln College to run up Steep Hill from approximately where Yates is/was. I was absolutely not fit, nor a runner. Got to the part where the tea shop is and then promptly passed out.

Decided to pull a wheelie on my bicycle as a lad but unfortunately I had neglected to make sure that the front wheel was secure enough. It wasn't and fell out. I went flying and as you do decided to break my fall by using my left arm which didn't appreciate such use as it bent backwards and snapped.

I suspect many of these tales will end up with a physical injury

Decided to pull a wheelie on my bicycle as a lad but unfortunately I had neglected to make sure that the front wheel was secure enough. It wasn't and fell out. I went flying and as you do decided to break my fall by using my left arm which didn't appreciate such use as it bent backwards and snapped.

I suspect many of these tales will end up with a physical injury

Also, ouch!

Ouch!

I once did the opposite - decided on my lunch break at Lincoln College to run up Steep Hill from approximately where Yates is/was. I was absolutely not fit, nor a runner. Got to the part where the tea shop is and then promptly passed out.

Years ago, I went through a brief phase of deciding to get fit by swimming. The problem is, I hate swimming and am really poor at it. It was not a success.

Painting the stairs - ladder too long (ceiling too low) to set at an angle, steps too short to reach the required point. Found that by combining the two I could make a platform

I stood on it to try it, and when it collapsed, I ended up on it on my back - broke my shoulder blade and three ribs

Painting the stairs - ladder too long (ceiling too low) to set at an angle, steps too short to reach the required point. Found that by combining the two I could make a platform

I stood on it to try it, and when it collapsed, I ended up on it on my back - broke my shoulder blade and three ribs

Also ouch!

Again at college, going on that temporary ice skating rink in Cornhill. Thought I was getting it, then my feet went out backwards from under me. Hit the rink chin-first, split it open, but didn't realise and got up and carried on. Blood everywhere, down me, everywhere I went on the ice until I realised. Trip to A&E in the ambulance to get it stitched back together. Weirdly I didn't feel any pain from it, until jabbed by the anaesthetic needle for the stitches.

I haven't been ice skating again.

I suffered the above in January 6 years ago

The following January - and I don't regard this as stupid stuff, but just one of those things that happen - I went out for the day on the edge of Kinder Scout in the snow. It had started brightly so I was wearing (prescription) sun glasses, but by early/mid afternoon had turned dull, so I stopped to change into my normal glasses, and at the same time have a few minutes looking around admiring the view. Deciding to carry on I turned quickly, apparently on a patch of ice, and down I went. I heard and felt the crack in my right upper arm. Had to walk for around an hour and descend a fairly steep 1000 feet to get back to the car. Was on my own, but able (just) to drive home, and spent evening in A&E. I couldn't then drive for several weeks so couldn't work, and decided to retire 3 - 6 months earlier than I had originally planned

Parents of my son's village football team decided to play 5-a-side on Sunday afternoons. Why not I thought, even though I've never really played football? At least I'm reasonably fit and can run around like a lunatic.
Unfortunately, we were playing on an artificial surface. In previous weeks I'd been sliding around on the rubber and sand surface. New trainers and I'll be fine, or so I thought. I lost the ball in a tackle and decided to chase after it to win it back. As I turned my foot didn't. It gripped the surface and I fell down in pain. I managed to drive home, iced and elevated it. Next day drove to doctors and was told to take paracetemol. Weeks later when my knee kept giving way I was sent hospital for a CT scan.
Verdict - torn cartilidge and a snapped anterior cruciate ligament.
Still ACL deficient. If I run it has to be in a straight line or it gives way.

Parents of my son's village football team decided to play 5-a-side on Sunday afternoons. Why not I thought, even though I've never really played football? At least I'm reasonably fit and can run around like a lunatic.
Unfortunately, we were playing on an artificial surface. In previous weeks I'd been sliding around on the rubber and sand surface. New trainers and I'll be fine, or so I thought. I lost the ball in a tackle and decided to chase after it to win it back. As I turned my foot didn't. It gripped the surface and I fell down in pain. I managed to drive home, iced and elevated it. Next day drove to doctors and was told to take paracetemol. Weeks later when my knee kept giving way I was sent hospital for a CT scan.
Verdict - torn cartilidge and a snapped anterior cruciate ligament.
Still ACL deficient. If I run it has to be in a straight line or it gives way.

Did something similar playing badminton!

While a teenager I jumped off a bus while it was still moving (but coming to a stop) trying to be cool, Fell arse over tit and missed the bust stop post by a foot, otherwise I suspect I would have been pushing up the daisy's or at least permanently damaged in some way.

And too many things to mention while driving as a teenager, an utter lunatic behind the wheel...

Got run over in Belgium at 4 in the morning, I was heading (with a mate) to get something to eat in a local cafe we know. Ended up in A&E and got sued !

Wrote my car off on the A429 Stow on the Wold way, just me and an oak tree !

Anything coming the other way and I would be dead Imp.

Took my car to the dealer when in Germany for a service, they basically impounded it and wouldn’t let me have it back, I had done 52k miles on the initial set of tyres, then I twigged why I was slipping going down this hill prior to the service.

Life certainly is a learning curve and I certainly have learnt a number of valuable lessons.

And there’s more............