Striker? | Vital Football

Striker?

cherub

Vital Newbie
If we sign a new heavyweight striker what do you think our lineup would be?

Would Moniz really play 2 upfront? Or would he keep Jimmy on the bench and play Stead behind and lose a midfield player?

I wonder if Moniz's long term ideal formation relies on the return to fitness of Elliot Hewitt. I assume he was bought in to be 1st choice right back, which would free up Swerts to become the defensive midfielder. Aborah could then play a more attacking role (at the front of a diamond maybe) where his technical ability could provide much more if a threat. This would then open the door to playing 2 up front. I'm not sure who the other 2 making up the midfield diamond would then be though.

Reading Moniz's post Mansfield comments, he clearly wants more options up top. It'll be interesting to see if we get anyone in before the transfer window shuts.

Personally i think we must play 2 up front at home, even more so in this league, plus get the ball up to the front 2 quicker, even bypassing the back 4, get the back 4 to press the halfway line more (something we did not do Friday) imo

Think our away set up is fine, and we should do well away

macpie - 17/8/2015 19:54

Personally i think we must play 2 up front at home, even more so in this league, plus get the ball up to the front 2 quicker, even bypassing the back 4, get the back 4 to press the halfway line more (something we did not do Friday) imo

Totally agree macpie.

runner_pie - 17/8/2015 01:06

Ditto - remember the comments about emulating Keegan's Newcastle. As has been mentioned though, we've got to get active wings and that'll depend on the full backs.

Totally agree macpie.

We have suffered over the last 3 seasons from a reluctance to play 2 up front especially at home. We allow the opposition the luxury of marking 1 up front and make no headway.

2 up front for me, 1 away will work.

I didn't see any pre-season friendlies so don't know a lot about the new boys that signed, but have we any genuine pace in our forward ranks?

Not in the forwards.

I keep hearing that De Silva and Jenner have pace on the wings but never saw that on Friday!

cherub - 18/8/2015 14:01

Not in the forwards.

I keep hearing that De Silva and Jenner have pace on the wings but never saw that on Friday!

Wow, that's not good!! Jenner looked like he couldn't catch a cold and de silva looked very lightweight.

I think Ray's put himself in a difficult position now after investing so much in a 'better' squad this season. The harsh reality is he probably has to keep on spending to make sure the money he's already spent isn't wasted and to try and 'guarantee' us promotion.

But like Prophet said at MAD: what's the point of splashing out on a fancy dan striker (if one can even be persuaded to come) if we're still going to stick with one up front?

Fridge magnet - 18/8/2015 12:45

but have we any genuine pace in our forward ranks?

Campbell has alot of pace from what ive seen in pre season, but unless he performs well he won't be starting every game, but him and de silva are the only ones with actual pace

Whatever happened to DJ Campbell? Was he involved in that match fixing case but he's a player I always liked, we could do with a striker in his mould I think.

Fridge magnet - 19/8/2015 19:02

Whatever happened to DJ Campbell? Was he involved in that match fixing case but he's a player I always liked, we could do with a striker in his mould I think.

I think he's still at Maidenhead United. I believe his name was brought into the match fixing scandal but I don't think he was ever proven to be involved.

Yes,you are correct he is at maidenhead utd and just checked his age and can't believe he's 33!!! Count me out of the scouting job!!!

Only seems like yesterday that he was playing up front for Blackpool and knocking F****t out of the play offs applause

When you really think about it what suggestions do fans have for a new striker? Craig mackail smith was heralded as saviour in pre season before signing for Luton and he isn't pulling up any trees there is he. If we've got cash to spend why not have a go for Lee Gregory at millwall, would be ideal in my opinion, though don't know what wages he'd be on.

It's interesting to see that Luton have made a very unimpressive start to the season. As for the likes of Lee Gregory, I guess the big issue is whether they are prepared to drop down to League 2 but if you don't ask the question you'll never know.