Stolen but oh so true...... | Vital Football

Stolen but oh so true......

MadAmster

Vital Squad Member
A lad I grew up with posted this on FB. It is so true............

For all those people calling for Lampard's head after just 3 games, learn a lesson from the past. When Jim Smith arrived at the Baseball Ground with Schteeve McClaren in 1995, I watched one of the worst games of my life, a dull, insipid 0-0 home draw against Port Vale in front of about 10000 fans. The second game wasn't much better, neither was the third & so on. Fans were calling for JS to go & the sooner the better & don't forget, he was a manager with tons of experience.

In that season, Smith & McClaren brought in Dean Yates, Daryl Powell, Ronnie Willams, Russell Hoult, Sean Flynn, Chris Boden, Paul Trollope, Matt Carbon, Snakey Rowett, Robin van der Laan and some bloke called Igor Stimac. Whilst Igor was the catalyst for that side, a side that got dicked 5-1 at Tranmere in Igor's first match, that team then started to gel and the most obvious comparison between that team & Frank's team is the numbers of personnel in.

It will take time, no doubt some more bad results, but when they click and they will, we will be back to form. I doubt we will be promoted this year, but when Frank has his team playing his way & they know what they are doing, we will be a force to be reckoned with. It takes time, not a managerial merry-go-round. Now, I wonder what happened to that 1995 side?

The lad you grew up with makes a good point MA,
I remember when the Bald Eagle took over at Derby and thinking what have we done. Then Promotion.
What happens next after our last game against Arsenal.
The change, leaving the Baseball Ground, and watching Pride Park being built as our new Football home. I went with two mates and we picked our seats before the ground was built. I signed up for a three year season ticket which helped the club and entitled me to my name in history brick. The first time I went to Pride Park was the official opening, thought Lionel did well to get the Queen there. The rest is history but what a great time that was to be a Rams fan!

You’re right MoP...October ‘95 through to the end of 2001 was a great time to be a Rams fan.
1988-89 was brilliant too, although, as I remember, we seemed to do better away from the BBG.
Other than that - I’m discounting the BD season because the football was bloody dire and it led to a nightmare that we still haven’t recovered from - 2013/14 saw some great football as we ultimately flattered to deceive.
So, what’s that? Seven or so happy seasons in the last thirty? Sounds about right...could be worse...could be a Forest fan. :eek:

P.S. The arrival of Stimac in Oct’ 95 was the missing piece of the jigsaw that was to have an impact for years to come. As I understand it we only have another twelve days to find someone who’ll have the same impact on this season.

Last edited:
Latest Rams News