Stoke v Swans | Vital Football

Stoke v Swans

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
Stoke v Swans Tue 8 Feb 19:45
Our next opponents Stoke were in FA Cup action yesterday, a home tie against Wigan which they won 2-0. Wigan’s ex-Swan Gwion Edwards was dismissed for two bookings which ended any hopes of a fight back. New signing, striker Josh Maja, who was born in UK of Nigerian parents, and is on loan from Bordeaux, scored on his debut.
This after Stoke had just two wins in their last 10 home games and Wigan unbeaten in 13 away games. Brown scored the second and Edwards’ red card ended the game as a contest.
In the reverse fixture last August Swans lost 1-3, with ex-Swan Sam Clucas scoring and then goading the Swans fans by running over to the East Stand and taking his shirt off and holding it up in front of them.
Martin said after the match that our players were not fit enough.
Hopefully we can get revenge on Tuesday night!

Unimpressive stats from both teams -

Last 6 matches:
Stoke LLWLLD
Swansea DWDLLW

Last 6 home matches:
Stoke WLDLLL

Last 6 away matches:
Swans LWLDDL

Don't know how to call this one, we can be unpredictable but hopefully we'll take confidence from the Blackburn win. We don't tend to do well at Stoke so about time we ended that run of poor form there tonight.

Stoke have dropped off lately but can still be a good side on their day, same as us I suppose.

Swans: Andy Fisher, Ryan Bennett, Flynn Downes, Ben Cabango, Cyrus Christie, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (c), Hannes Wolf, Korey Smith, Olivier Ntcham, Michael Obafemi
Subs: Ben Hamer, Jamie Paterson, Kyle Joseph, Joel Piroe, Yan Dhanda, Joel Latibeaudiere, Finley Burns

Absolutely shocking so far. Where do you start? Too many players out of position, no pace and no route forward, camped in our own half.

HT: 0-0
Awful first half, we couldn’t keep the ball or string two passes together.
Three yellow cards for the Swans. We are trying to pass it out from the back and being high pressed again and losing possession. It’s not working, how many times. We must be bad with only 41% possession and only one shot, which was off target, in 48 mins! They’ve had 10 shots and 6 corners.

46’ 1-0
Swans sleeping, Bidace scuffed shot, simple goal.
We cannot cope with a high press, again.
We cannot string two passes together and keep losing possession.
This is as bad as I’ve seen us this season.

Its a shambles and it’s just got worse. Bennett clears off the line, ball accidentally touches his hand, penalty and harsh sending off.
59’ 2-0 Baker (pen)

Last edited:
Horrible ref, so biased, yet another dubious free kick.
I know we’ve only got 10 men but we keep on giving away possession.
74’ Oh no, bogey man Clucas is coming on for Stoke!

78’ 3-0
Brown beats Cabango, Fisher not too clever positioning.
This is embarrassing, shots 19-3 to Stoke.
We look like a relegation side
An average Stoke team has run rings round us, two wins in their last ten home games and we’ve made them look like Barcelona.

Some Swans players have given up here and are not competing, it’s not on. This squad is weak and short of players.
We keep on losing the ball, out passed by Stoke, unbelievable.
Paterson loses the ball, Grimes loses the ball, Paterson loses the ball again, Piroe loses the ball.
I give up as well.

FT: 3-0

Last edited:
After the Lord Mayor’s Show!
Well thankfully we’ve got points on the board because that display was relegation standard and an embarrassment to the Swans shirt.
Shots 22-3, On target 7-1, Possession 60%-40%
Stokes first home league win since last November!
I paid £10 to watch it on SwansTV, thankfully I didn’t travel up to watch that clueless rubbish. I feel sorry for those that did.
Easily the worst performance for some years.

Last edited:
Just dreadful Keith. Absolutely dreadful. It was poor from the first minute to the last.

The stream even failed thankfully.

Russ needs to take the blame here for this one. A very poor performance, players out of position trying to get players to pass out from the back who just can't do it.

Easily worst of the season. Excuses are fatigue from Saturday but we weren't at it from the first whistle. Very disappointing and Martin surely has to stop playing 3 or 4 holding/defensive midfielders.

Not sure what to make of Russ' comments after this one. Took no responsibility for the loss and piled the blame on the players and making excuses straight after saying he didn't want to make any. Blaming it on fatigue, tiredness (again!) because too many players can't cope with the schedule. But that's the Championship, get on with it.