Still rather be a Bear than a Pear??? | Vital Football

Still rather be a Bear than a Pear???

James06

Vital Football Legend
Birmingham's famous Edgbaston cricket ground is set to be renamed in a £4 million bid to take the city’s name around the world.

The arena will be formally known as the City of Birmingham Edgbaston Stadium under a ten-year sponsorship deal with the council.

The name of Warwickshire Cricket Club’s one-day team is also likely to be changed from the Warwickshire Bears to the Birmingham Bears as part of the package

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/cricket/edgbaston-cricket-ground-set-city-1737422

Will this alienate Villa fans, not to mention supporters from Coventry and into Warwickshire county?

How will Birmingham Council Tax payers feel about this investment/contra agreement?

How will those thousands made redundant by the council feel about this investment/contra agreement?

There will also be a lot of non football people who will cringe at the change of name.

Just not right . It doesn't sound right look right seem right or appeal in any way.

Personally I think its a shocking idea, for the reasons I gave above.

I cannot believe Birmingham City Council will say goodbye to 4million quid over this, after all they've done in recent years. Slightly less appalling I am shocked that Warwickshire CCC would sell out.

Seeing the types who frequent the members area at Edgbaston, and the people that run the place, I am thinking they may have been forced into this rather than made the choice.

They are struggling though James £1 million a year in loan repayments is a hell of a lot for a cricket club to pay back so they are having to sell their soul.

You do make a good point about taxpayers money. There will be more to come from this deal.

Shocking... don't like that at all.

Also shocking that the council will pay that much, how dare they use our money in that way.

Humph.

I am a Warwickshire lad born and bred, although my hometown of Solihull is no longer in Warwickshire any more than Edgbaston is.

Why the f**K do they have to mess with county boundaries anyway?

As for the name change of the ground I find that appalling. But, if the club needs the money I can live with it (as I don't have a choice).

James06 - 12/3/2013 13:51

Arent you Worcester Jonathan?

No mate, born and bred Four Oaks, which was Warwickshire before the ghastly West Midlands was introduced.

Oh yes, now mate, however is it not ok to pass an opinion on a total waste of tax payers money whether it is 'mine' being paid or not.

Please do advise...! lol :2:

oh but of course - it's just you said 'our' money?

dont get me wrong - I dont pay council tax to Brum either - but still pointed it out as a reason for it to be a poor decision.

Cricketing people around the world already know Edgbaston is in Birmingham, it's a Test Match ground ffs!!!!

It seems to me a bit of a cop out. The council give permission (eventually) for the ground to be modernised and it seems with a sting in the tail on completion......

To me they'll always be Warwickshire Bears and the ground will be Edgbaston.... full stop!

James06 - 12/3/2013 16:02

dont get me wrong - I dont pay council tax to Brum either - but still pointed it out as a reason for it to be a poor decision.

also, I am sorry I implied that I paid tax... I said 'our' loosely, don't think I pay out money from my billions do you?!!!!

Very misleading of me really!

Money money money, cash cash girls girls as your good friend Dizzee would say.

The Fear - 12/3/2013 17:04

James06 - 12/3/2013 16:02

also, I am sorry I implied that I paid tax... I said 'our' loosely, don't think I pay out money from my billions do you?!!!!

Very misleading of me really!

Money money money, cash cash girls girls as your good friend Dizzee would say.

What is this thing called tax? :17:

Apparently it is a thing the rich decide whether to pay or not but the paupers are forced.

Not sure really 57!

:81:

sirdennis - 12/3/2013 12:36

There will also be a lot of non football people who will cringe at the change of name.

Just not right . It doesn't sound right look right seem right or appeal in any way.

What he said.