Still a lot of work to be done | Vital Football

Still a lot of work to be done

eye_nose_hat

Vital Squad Member
The first half we looked like we had gone backwards. The last few games we started to look quite solid in defence thanks to Fernandez getting injured and van der Hoorn getting his chance. Yet, Fernandez somehow wins his place back and the defence goes back to being error-prone and looking likely to concede every time Arsenal attacked.

Some shocking errors for their 2 goals. A shocker from Amat, and then Cork from a corner!? It was frustrating because I actually thought that up until then we were doing ok, despite not doing anything in the final third, but we should have managed to get in still at 0-0.

Arsenal gifted us a goal back, a great finish from Sigurdsson and we're allowed back in when it looked like they might go and win it 3 or 4-0.

Another huge error made it 3-1. Federico Fernandez was our worst player, he looked clueless out there, didn't know what he was doing, and just tried to catch them offside at every time. We've got to bring VDH back in next weekend.

Borja then easily gets his goal and its game on, especially against 10 men but with Barrow struggling and Routledge not up to the job, we still lacked a bit out wide and Fer was way off his game to offer a goal threat.

We had about 3 or 4 clear cut chances that we didn't put away, easy headers all of them I think.

But it was a performance that had positives and negatives, so i can't get too confident about it but at least we created more and went for it in 2nd half. Although, how Arsenal didn't get at least 1 late on I'll never know.

I'd be more confident if we just dropped Fernandez at least. Awful error for one of the goals (their third), but he was poor from start to finish. Awful distribution as usual, lack of awareness in particular and together with Amat they both struggled as a pairing. We looked a lot better as a back four when Amat was partnered with van der Hoorn.

In midfield, I'd like Cork out to allow for a striker to start. We've got to be getting at least 4 points in the next 2 games.

Bradley's got his work cut out, but there were encouraging signs at the end, but it's always too little too late for us, trying to make up for earlier mistakes just isn't good enough

I said half kiddingly on Twitter that we should handcuff Fernandez and Taylor in the bowels of Landore until the next transfer window, but I'm not sure of legalities if that.

A midfielder has to go, and it would like be Cork. On our podcast on Thursday, Dave suggested moving Kingsley to LW, as he is a forward thinking player that lacking a bit on the defensive side as a LB. So you could replace Routledge with him and you would still get good defensive cover. Plus a guy that is good on the ball and can really whip in a cross. Then stick Naughton at LB. It's really not a bad idea.

BrianMannebach - 15/10/2016 19:41

I said half kiddingly on Twitter that we should handcuff Fernandez and Taylor in the bowels of Landore until the next transfer window, but I'm not sure of legalities if that.

A midfielder has to go, and it would like be Cork. On our podcast on Thursday, Dave suggested moving Kingsley to LW, as he is a forward thinking player that lacking a bit on the defensive side as a LB. So you could replace Routledge with him and you would still get good defensive cover. Plus a guy that is good on the ball and can really whip in a cross. Then stick Naughton at LB. It's really not a bad idea.

That's not a bad shout that. He's far better in attack than defence, still doubts on that side of his game, but he's more than capable of playing as a winger instead of Routledge, he can beat a man, it would make us well balanced and he'd put some great crosses in. You only have to watch some of the under-23 highlights recently to see his crossing ability.

My problem with that is it would continue the theme among our recent managers of forcing multiple players to play out of position.

MithrandirSwan - 17/10/2016 08:38

My problem with that is it would continue the theme among our recent managers of forcing multiple players to play out of position.

Is it a problem of our managers, or a problem of not having adequate recruitment, that multiple managers have had to play players out of position to try and make things work?

BrianMannebach - 17/10/2016 09:05

MithrandirSwan - 17/10/2016 08:38

Is it a problem of our managers, or a problem of not having adequate recruitment, that multiple managers have had to play players out of position to try and make things work?

I should have added Ki to the list of those locked in the Landore dungeon. What a disgrace.

I don't want to mention him again, but imagine how much better our team would look with Joe Allen alongside Britton rather than Fer. 2 wingers and the balance is there. Fer then competes for CAM role with Sigurdsson. Yet we've got a disjointed midfield that lacks the right balance and creativity. Not to mention fers laziness in defence.

I'm interested to see how he re-arranges his side when a striker can start again. Who does he take out from midfield from Saturday's side? And please take out at least FF for van der Hoorn.