Sticking my head above the parapet to post a Gills post apologies, to all racists, neo Nazis, lefties, anarchists everywhere – Best ever goal scorer | Vital Football

Sticking my head above the parapet to post a Gills post apologies, to all racists, neo Nazis, lefties, anarchists everywhere – Best ever goal scorer

PhilK66

Vital 1st Team Regular
I think there are several candidates but each one is based on certain criteria:
Bob Taylor – for the most incredible purple patch of scoring ever seen by us (but never did anything like it either before or after us).
Brian Yeo – for the most consistency over many seasons – a guaranteed 20 per season striker who even got over 30 one season
Casc – for being often unplayable over several seasons and a class well above us
Any other suggestions?

I love your thread title.

I nominate Mr Steve Lovell. He has got to be one of our greatest ever goalscorers, and I think I am right in saying that he holds the record for most consecutive games for scoring a goal.

Although he did miss that fcking penalty against the squatters!
Do you know I agree entirely. I had him as fourth suggestion but then dropped his nomination because my reasoning was rather twee : consistency, loyalty and ongoing love for the Club

Outrageous post. How dare you post anything Gillingham FC related on here. Mods please remove this and ban the poster - he forgot to include any mention of Brexit.

My favourites since I started watching the Gills since mid 80's.

Steve Lovell
Peter Heritage - the girth of one of his legs was like both of mine fused together
David Crown
Peter Beadle
Super Robert
Carl Asaba
Nicky Forster
Marlon King (what a **** he turned out in real life)
Cody
and the best for years

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEaves :toot:

Phil, if you absolutely have to post something like this, just put N EU after the title.

SBT by a distance.
Yeo a natural scorer but somehow I didn't rate him as a player other that te ability to score, seemingly even off his thigh/arse/whatever.
Can't forgive Cas for the Everton miss (unreasonable of me I know) after I'd stood on 1 leg and crutches for nearly 3 hours.
ME2 - no thanks for reminding me of Forster. Agree re King and your comment.

Finally, why is football and an obscure league 1 team being mentioned on this forum?

I think Superbob's purple patch puts him at the top.

Unfortunately, Nicky Forster, David Crown and Hagar Heritage played at a time when the team was even sh*tter than now which will always taint them.

For one off most important goals you would have to include Andy Thomson and Simeon Jackson for their goals at Wembley, particularly the timing of them.

Last edited:
Super Bob. Everytime he got the ball you felt he could score. Our own Matt Le Tissier I always thought despite a slowish start. Plus THAT song that got louder with every goal he scored. Epic times.

In my many years of watching GFC and regularly snoozing from the GRS I have never seen a better strike partnership than SBT with Asaba. Together they were a class act and I doubt that I will see the likes again for the immediate future.

In my many years of watching GFC and regularly snoozing from the GRS I have never seen a better strike partnership than SBT with Asaba. Together they were a class act and I doubt that I will see the likes again for the immediate future.

The days of us spending £1.1m on a strike force once in summer

SBT was absolutely unplayable just before he went to City and was scoring some unbelievable goals. His second half hattrick against Bristol City was the best I will ever see, I'm confident of that.

Got to be SBT for me. He is one of the few players I have seen who when he had the ball, you just felt like he would score (for me another was Martin Chivers when at Spurs).

Marlon King on footballing terms and he did it all in the second tier as an inexperienced player.

Nicky Forster another, who left us young and just got better.

Yeo was class Gills 58 and often had to play a more defensive game in poor sides. Close your eyes for a second and picture him anywhere in a line in from the corner of the box to the goal. If he hit it first time, on the turn, or on the run his angles were precise and his timing impeccable. Good strikers make it look easier than it is.

Steve Lovell has long been underrated and he played in pooer sides later on.

Dave Shearer has to be up there, fantastic strike rate, skillful and as strong as an ox.

I was a bit late for the best of Brian Gibbs but no one else could hit a ball as hard and fluently in full flight.

Not the best ever but always brings a smile to my face, Chris Pike. When we were really not very good at all and every game was a mountain there was the chronically injured Pike knocking them in.

Nobody has mentioned Iffy. He was pretty good.

And Pat Gavin was amazing when he first joined. Utter shite the following season though.

SBT is the best by a long way, but Shearer was awesome. I'll give an honourable mention to Ken clap clap clap clap Price and Westwood was superb for a season and a bit

Difficult to disagree with your opening trio PhilK66. My addition would be in the Most Enjoyable Gills goal ever witnessed category (as opposed to most important goal) and i`d award that to Mr Terry Cochrane who scored a calculated & sublime goal from the half-way line.

And Pat Gavin was amazing when he first joined. Utter shite the following season though.

First Gills' goalscorer that I ever saw in a 1-0 win against Cambridge for my first ever game. I think that was during his second spell that you refer to.

The best we've ever had is probably Marlon King (unfortunately).

He scored 40 league goals for us in the 2nd tier, including 20 in one season. He was very quick, strong, and could score some worldies like the free kick against West Ham (jesus, we beat West Ham, in the league!).

Second, and not by much is SBT - then there's a lot of daylight IMO to third.