Sticking my head above the parapet to post a Gills post apologies, to all racists, neo Nazis, lefties, anarchists everywhere – Best ever goal scorer | Page 2 | Vital Football

Sticking my head above the parapet to post a Gills post apologies, to all racists, neo Nazis, lefties, anarchists everywhere – Best ever goal scorer

Glad someone mentioned Price/Westwood as a partnership.

In the 4 main years together they scored 21, 36, 32 and 23 goals as a partnership.

The 2 middle year’s particularly they were excellent and the bookend seasons they both didn’t play all season. Great records even tho both took some stick from our ‘fans’ on occasion.

The best we've ever had is probably Marlon King (unfortunately).

He scored 40 league goals for us in the 2nd tier, including 20 in one season. He was very quick, strong, and could score some worldies like the free kick against West Ham (jesus, we beat West Ham, in the league!).

Second, and not by much is SBT - then there's a lot of daylight IMO to third.

I understand your sentiment there MM, 2 great players and quite possibly our best. But to suggest there is ‘daylight’ between Those 2 and the likes of Cas, Yeo, Gibbs, Shearer, Lovell etc is a bit OTT imho.

Especially as SBT and Marlon both only played a season or 2 with us. They might have plied their trade in the 2nd tier, but you can only score in the division you are in. And both Cas and Lovell in particular also regularly scored at the higher levels (albeit not with us). So if we’d been at a higher level when they played I think they’d have done just as well.

Personally, I saw 3 great and 3 near great strikers for Gills.

Cas, Lovell and Yeo.

Price, Westwood and Shearer.

Honorable mention for Paddy Richardson, especially early in his career.

I wish I’d been there to see the likes of Marlon, SBT, Iffy, Sarbs and others.

I understand your sentiment there MM, 2 great players and quite possibly our best. But to suggest there is ‘daylight’ between Those 2 and the likes of Cas, Yeo, Gibbs, Shearer, Lovell etc is a bit OTT imho.

Especially as SBT and Marlon both only played a season or 2 with us. They might have plied their trade in the 2nd tier, but you can only score in the division you are in. And both Cas and Lovell in particular also regularly scored at the higher levels (albeit not with us). So if we’d been at a higher level when they played I think they’d have done just as well.

Personally, I saw 3 great and 3 near great strikers for Gills.

Cas, Lovell and Yeo.

Price, Westwood and Shearer.

Honorable mention for Paddy Richardson, especially early in his career.

I wish I’d been there to see the likes of Marlon, SBT, Iffy, Sarbs and others.

So, I started going in 1995, so didn't get to see Cas, Lovell, Yeo, Price, Westwood or Shearer. If I had, then who knows.

The daylight point was just to mention how highly I regarded both in terms of their quality. I've got a bit of a list below from my time watching the Gills.

Marlon
SBT

Asaba/Akinbiyi
Iffy
Cody/Simeon/Eaves
Fortune-West/Bailey

So, I started going in 1995, so didn't get to see Cas, Lovell, Yeo, Price, Westwood or Shearer. If I had, then who knows.

The daylight point was just to mention how highly I regarded both in terms of their quality. I've got a bit of a list below from my time watching the Gills.

Marlon
SBT

Asaba/Akinbiyi
Iffy
Cody/Simeon/Eaves
Fortune-West/Bailey

Astonished to see Bailey mentioned in a thread about goalscorers.

Difficult to disagree with your opening trio PhilK66. My addition would be in the Most Enjoyable Gills goal ever witnessed category (as opposed to most important goal) and i`d award that to Mr Terry Cochrane who scored a calculated & sublime goal from the half-way line.
So did Hess Jr!

Brian Yeo by a country mile.

Had we had a decent manager then, rather than Basil Hayward then Yeo's record would have been even better.

And with a leather ball that doubled in weight when it got wet!

Brian Yeo by a country mile.

Had we had a decent manager then, rather than Basil Hayward then Yeo's record would have been even better.

And with a leather ball that doubled in weight when it got wet!
I clearly remember in the season when he was the leading scorer in the whole Football League Malcolm Allison saying in a pundit session that BY was capable of playing in the top division but that his age then (29 I think) was against him. I agree he was our best ever for consistency and loyalty over many seasons, often in a poor team

Special mention to Chris Pike who despite driving from Wales every day and not being able to train due to a crippling back injury managed to score 13 goals with a near goal every other game ratio in the 94/95 season. Without him we probably would have dropped out of the league.

For me Iffy will always be one of our best goalscorers. He had a great shot and a great header on him but he also had the ability to use brute force to crash the ball into the net, along with 2 defenders and the goalkeeper usually!