Steven Gerrard: Liverpool captain confirms he is leaving Reds | Vital Football

Steven Gerrard: Liverpool captain confirms he is leaving Reds

zzz

Vital Champions League
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard called his decision to leave at the end of the season "the toughest" of his life.
The 34-year-old, out of contract this summer, joined the Reds aged nine and has scored 180 goals in 695 games.
"This has been the toughest decision of my life, one both me and my family have agonised over for a good deal of time," said the ex-England midfielder.

He added he would continue to play but not for a potential rival as he could "never contemplate" facing Liverpool.
Play media
Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Archive: Steven Gerrard's last-gasp screamer
Gerrard is being linked with a move to Major League Soccer in the United States once the English season ends.

He stressed: "I won't be playing for a competing club and will not therefore be lining up against Liverpool.
"My decision is completely based on my wish to experience something different in my career and life and I also want to make sure that I have no regrets when my playing career is eventually over.
"From now until the last kick of the last game of the season, I will be as fully committed to the team as I ever have been and giving everything I have to help Liverpool win games."

Gerrard, born in the Merseyside village of Whiston, joined Liverpool's academy when he was nine years old, making his first-team debut as a substitute against Blackburn Rovers in November 1998.
He led the club to the Champions League title in 2005, scoring his side's first goal as they came from three down to draw 3-3 against AC Milan and then win on penalties.

He has also won the Uefa Cup, two FA Cups, three League Cups, one Community Shield and two Uefa Super Cups, and earned 114 England caps before retiring after the World Cup.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers said: "It is almost an impossible task to find the words to appropriately sum up Steven Gerrard and his importance to Liverpool.
"This is an era where the word 'legend' is vastly overused, but in his case it actually doesn't do him justice."

Gerrard in numbers
695 - Club appearances (all competitions)
180 - Club goals (all competitions)
494 - Premier League appearances
116 - Premier League goals
114 - England caps
21 - England goals
10 - Main trophies won
8 - Appearances in PFA Team of the Year
3 - Appearances in FifPro World XI
6 - Premier League Player of the Month

Liverpool striker Rickie Lambert, a boyhood supporter of the club, described Gerrard as "Mr Liverpool".
"He is number one for me and he always will be. He has meant everything to me growing up," added Lambert.
"The nights he has given the fans are unbelievable. I'll never forget them and I know the Liverpool fans will never forget them."
Reds forward Mario Balotelli compared Gerrard to Italian World Cup-winning midfielder Andrea Pirlo.
"I think of him as being at the same level as Pirlo," said Balotelli. "Vision, technique but he is powerful as well.
"Steven can do anything, he is an amazing player. It's going to be very difficult for the team to find another player like him in the future."
Steven Gerrard
Steven Gerrard arriving for training on Friday morning, as the club prepare to face AFC Wimbledon in the third round of the FA Cup on Monday

Former Reds midfielder Terry McDermott put Gerrard above Liverpool greats Kenny Dalglish and Graeme Souness.
"Kenny and Souey shone in great Liverpool teams, but Gerrard has played in sides that were at best mediocre and he carried them to trophies," said McDermott.

Speculation about Gerrard's long-term Liverpool future intensified following a newspaper interview in October in which he said he would join another club if he was not offered a new contract at Anfield.
In December, Rodgers said the player had been offered a new deal, at the same time dismissing reports the pair had fallen out.

BBC Sport chief football writer Phil McNulty:
"Steven Gerrard's decision will leave a hole that manager Brendan Rodgers will find incredibly difficult to fill. Gerrard remains an iconic figure, a footballer who arguably competes with Kenny Dalglish for the title of the greatest ever to wear the red shirt."
Read more from Phil McNulty

Gerrard was an unused substitute for Monday's 4-1 Premier League win over Swansea, although he returned to the starting line-up for Thursday's match against Leicester, scoring two penalties in a 2-2 draw.
Club owner John W Henry and chairman Tom Werner said in a joint statement that the news "stirs many strong emotions for all of us connected with the club".

"There is sadness that such a great player and person is leaving and won't be playing for Liverpool beyond this season," they added.
"But there is also a sense of celebration and gratitude, that we've all been privileged to watch and work with one of the true greats, not just of this club, but the game in general."

The slip has been the highlight of my footballing year.

Thank you Steven

Galvin's Shinpads - 2/1/2015 20:22

Brilliant player but the game is firmly up for him at Premiership level

Will losing him be the equivalent of when they thought they could continue without Alonso. Being that he is somewhat taken up his role.

The MLS and leagues like that which are developing into new Major world leagues are great for taking the bigger players from our league who don't want to sit on the bench when they are still capable of teaching other players good things. Their experience and good name are great for these up and coming clubs who want a big name and want to add some 'shine' to their team. I never liked Gerrard but I wish him well in his new life. The problem for Liverpool was how to 'dump' him and still allow him self respect. Good outcome!

Good riddance to one of the most over rated players ... Know he has achieved but in comparison to others - definitively overrated ... His slip will long be remembered by lpool fans... Bye...

I know what you mean 'Highgate', I never liked him and have always thought the whole attitude of Liverpool teams has been to cheat, from the goal-hanging Ian Rush to nowadays divers and shirt pullers etc. It seems to me (I hope I'm not just badly biased here) that players of that type either migrate magnetically to Liverpool or quickly adopt that characteristic when they get there.

Welshtel - couldn't agree with you more... if so good how come the likes of Barca and RM didn't come in for him as well as where are the trophies won with England - that goes the whole 'golden' generation - just look at the achievements of the equivalent squads of Spain and German have done so far.

Well he 's clearly nearing his sell by date and no one like Barca etc would want him but he could inspire a team somewhere, like a junior school team somewhere in Liverpool.

Welshtel - 3/1/2015 22:32

I know what you mean 'Highgate', I never liked him and have always thought the whole attitude of Liverpool teams has been to cheat, from the goal-hanging Ian Rush to nowadays divers and shirt pullers etc. It seems to me (I hope I'm not just badly biased here) that players of that type either migrate magnetically to Liverpool or quickly adopt that characteristic when they get there.

******* hell!
"goal-hanging Ian Rush"... Being Welsh(?), I am presuming you know all about the guy but to say that he was nothing short of a top player, is madness.
Ian Rush who played at the highest level for over 20 years? A guy that captained his country and scored aplenty for them too?

If you want to talk goal-hangers, look no further than a certain Gary Lineker!

zzz - 2/1/2015 21:12

Galvin's Shinpads - 2/1/2015 20:22

Brilliant player but the game is firmly up for him at Premiership level

Will losing him be the equivalent of when they thought they could continue without Alonso. Being that he is somewhat taken up his role.

Shouldn't think so. Alonso left at the top of his game. Gerrard is leaving when his career is in it's twilight. They should have been preparing for this for a while now. Gonna be a tough call for whomever is managing them next year, to fill the void.

Gerrard overrated? At international level yes, at club level no chance. Look through all the best CM's this league has produced over the last 23 years, he is easily in the top 5.

I can't stand the bloke but credit where it's due.

not as good as Lampard, but still an excellent CM in his day. for those saying where are his trophies - well he could have joined Madrid and won the lot. That photo of Anderson with all those medals - he hardly played a part in any of them did he.

Real Deal - 4/1/2015 19:00

Gerrard overrated? At international level yes, at club level no chance. Look through all the best CM's this league has produced over the last 23 years, he is easily in the top 5.

I can't stand the bloke but credit where it's due.

This should be his epitaph.

Can't wait to be bored to death with media overkill if he returns to Liverpool on loan.
Apparently his new autobiography is ready for release, no title yet.

Ian Rush ? Hardly a success at juventus ? If Gerrard was so good why didn't we hear the likes of BM, Barca and RM were after him? Over hyped and overated as far as I am concerned....

He's going where the money is, that's quite clear. I don't blame him, but for him to make out like it's such a tough decision is laughable. If he's that bothered about never playing against Liverpool, then retire.

Big Chiv - 4/1/2015 21:50

Can't wait to be bored to death with media overkill if he returns to Liverpool on loan.
Apparently his new autobiography is ready for release, no title yet.

Good idea for a contest.

1) The Slip

2) Blinded By The Light; How Brendan Rodgers Teeth Ended Steven Gerrard's Career

spursgirl_4_life - 5/1/2015 10:11

He's going where the money is, that's quite clear. I don't blame him, but for him to make out like it's such a tough decision is laughable. If he's that bothered about never playing against Liverpool, then retire.

Wasn't he pretty much signed for Chelsea before Liverpool made him an even more ridiculous offer?