Steve Stone Is On Indefinite Leave | Vital Football

Steve Stone Is On Indefinite Leave

Indeed. I hope this isn't the start of the downfall. We need to get the appointment right don't want another yes man like we have had in the past.

Lots of big jobs going in football like the FA and I can't remember which club it is who are looking to appoint a new Director of Football - Villa maybe.

It seemed like we were all a happy family but I guess he came in with an objective to help shrink the wage bill and bring in the new academy which has all been done.

These days long-term roles hardly exist. In my current role, my new director asked me 'how long have you been here at this company?' and when I responded 6 years going on 7 this year she was shocked and said that 3 years is the normal length of time for people to be in roles!

‘On indefinite leave ‘ is a strange phrase to use . It normally means a pre cursor to a sacking . Is he at loggerheads with the Board ? Was he wanting the club to go in a different direction to the rest of the board ? We shall have to wait and see

Probably applied for another job without that clubs say so and thus they put him on leave. Or like you say he has fallen out with the board over something and they have suspended him (which is what gardening leave basically means)

I see on media posts that the reason is family health problems - but why don't the club just let him go on an extended leave unless he feels he just needs a long time away.

I wonder how much we save per year having “absorbed” such a high profile position? Awful timing for any sort of change just as we hit form but I suppose these things happen. Sounds like day to day running will be pretty much the same. January will be interesting.

Hopefully any savings will be passed onto SWs budget . He must have been on at least a million a year? Add on the potential sale of Nelson should give us some spending power . Not that we really need to spend all that much. Once everyone is fit we actually have good all round cover.

The Webber grip on the club is now very strong . Not so sure I like nepotistic appointments, but that’s nothing new at NCFC. Talk about keeping it in the family !

In this instance however No Nepotism involved, new structure is from within by employees of the Club and board..No Smith family members unless some love child amongst them that we are unaware of.

Savings were made after McNally went and the Stone replaced him...Now more savings, sounds good business acumen to me!

Steve Stone was previously the Finance director at the club.
David McNally was brought in, out of football he had also previously worked for Gala Bingo And Punch Taverns!!
McNally`s basic when he left would have been around the £300,000 per year mark, with Bonus`s added on it was approaching the £1m Mark

BK says we are gearing up to be in the Premier League. Now that is all very good but we have had the ‘Promotion, Promotion , Promotion ‘ speeches many time before, and as commendable as his speech may appear to be , promotion won’t be achieved by the commercial department alone . It will require a huge passion filled and financial commitment from the Board and Joint Owners . For me until our Joint Owners retract their infamous Times interview and somehow find the finances to fund promotion to the Premier League AND stay there, then I fear greatly that BK may well be whistling in the wind

Last edited:
On the debate thing, The Pink Un guys were saying that Stone was on less than Moxley and was on a lower wage than expected also they said that he could earn a lot more elsewhere which is probably what he wants to do. We have a CFO job going (Cheif Finance Officer) at my job so maybe he coming to my place :-).

Having Webber's Girlfriend/wife involved in the club too. soon we will have the Smith and Webber show and I am sure Webbers will be looking at young Mr Smith as a pushover when he comes to power if Webber stays that long.