Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisted tour | Vital Football

Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisted tour

bfcpete

Vital Football Hero
On Tuesday I went to see this concert at Sheffield City Hall, which was an interesting and great venue I hadn't been to before. What a terrific 3 hour performance it was and the second half included all the tracks from the Selling England by the Pound album. Although I saw Genesis in the 1980s (when Phil Collins was lead singer and Hackett had left by then) the music then wasn't as ground breaking as their early work, when Peter Gabriel was lead singer and composer and a terrific showman on stage (I wish I could have seen them in that era). Even at 69 Hackett is a brilliant guitarist and has assembled some quality musicians and lead singer for this tour. There are some YouTube clips from an earlier concert in Italy as part of the tour :thumbup:

Once Collins 'took over' they became the boring men of middle-of-the-road crap in my opinion Pete. Yes, their early stuff could be seen as 'experimental' but for me they never had any appeal. Gabriel as a solo artist came good but the band had become obscure by then thanks to Collins and his ego.

I certainly prefer Gabriel to Collins as a peformer. Collins though is worth about 3 times as much ss Gabriel (£300m to £100m) so must have done something right!!

After seeing Steve Hackett at Sheffield in November, the Musical Box were recommended to me (they are the Genesis tribute band endorsed by the original Genesis members and who focus on the earlier Genesis work up to 1977). They are on a world tour and I have just seen them in St Albans of all places. It was packed and the majority qualified for Saga membership. They were bloody good and the lead singer managed to adjust his voice to sound like Peter Gabriel or Phil Collind depending on the track. Very good musicians. They were on for 3 hours, playing 16 tracks. Excellent.