Steve Evans | Vital Football

Steve Evans

HarrowGill

Vital Youth Team
By hook or by crook, it appears that the club is pulling out all the stops to get Evans and his uncharacteristic post match rant at his players and fans after Mansfield lost away to Colchester today suggested that that Scally's interest has at least either destabilized Mansfield or making Evans ponder whether the grass is greener on the other side. I wouldn't be surprised if he were named as our new manager as early as Monday or Tuesday.

Truth be told, I'm well and truly torn on the prospect of Evans becoming the next Gills manager. Sure, he's a convicted fraudster, gets his teams to play dirty/dive/time-waste etc, and then there's the Crawley games where he accused us of racism, and of behaving like we had won the world cup when we beat them 2-1 at their ground in *that* boxing day fixture. AND you can't see him getting on with Scally, nor taking to our fans (being called a 'Fat Scottish W@nker' was the jibe that he's probably least offended by- he seemed genuinely mortified in the dug out as Rotherham manager a few years back when most of the Rainham End were asking if he'd ever seen his manhood under his enormous bulge or if McDonald's Corp were aware of his presence at Priestfield, on the same day we won promotion at their expense).

BUT.. his record speaks for itself, he's averaged a 43% win ratio at all the clubs he has managed, he took Rotherham League Two to the Championship and kept them their, he did the impossible at Leeds by taking them from the Championship relegation trap-door to mid-table on a threadbare budget and had to work with Leed's mafia chairman who wanted woke authority on all transfer purchases and spending. When he gives interviews, he gives honest, articulate accounts-usually- of his team's performance and where they have fallen short. He is well regarded by players and this led to him signing Key, emerging stars from the lower-leagues when in charge of Leeds including Toumani Diagouraga and Nathan Birdcutt.

This evidence alone suggests that he- *may*- just be the tonic we need, if we're prepared to overlook his criminal background and the more questionable tactics his team's utilize.

I'd have him at Gills, definitely. Morals? Fuck morals. No such thing as morals in terms of football fans nowadays. I bet if Sam Allardyce showed an interest then we'd be sucking him off for the managerial position.

I'm in the same boat HarrowGill.

Without even knowing the guy, everything I've ever heard or read about him has made me think "no way i'd like him managing my team.".

And yet, since we've been seriously linked with him I'm suddenly thinking "Hmmm, decent manager. Maybe what we need".

I think the best part is actually that we are looking in the direction of a proven manager with credentials.

Truly torn. But we don't even know if it will happen. Might be an exciting week or 2 ahead.

Come on! He won't come, and if he did, we'd absolutely love the grief everyone gave us. Cheated, bad enough, but cheated by the Gills. Match made in heaven, if you ask me.

I would accept him as:
1. He wont last long. Either he will fall out with Scally over something trivial or jump at the first better offer.
2, If Shaun Derry is the only other alternative, it is a no brainer
3. We are at a point where we have very little to lose.
4. It would be a good sign that some substantial funds are on their way from some source as he would not come to us otherwise.

http://stagsnet.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32328

While I am certain that Scally wants Evans. I also feel sure that we are short on funds therefore signing someone with 18+ months to run doesn't look likely .The stags forum web page looks forward to some the problems we would have if we get him .Personally I hate the idea .Evans is a yob and has no place managing a football club .Yes I can see him coming now even though Scally as good as gave up on the deal so I heard this week .That's what i heard anyway .Evans will stop at nothing if he wants to come .But go down and Edinburgh's and Pulis bust ups will be small fry .Be careful want you wish for Mr Scally another journey to court seem inevitable if Evans arrives .

positronsrev_GFC - 8/10/2017 00:26

I'd have him at Gills, definitely. Morals? Fuck morals. No such thing as morals in terms of football fans nowadays. I bet if Sam Allardyce showed an interest then we'd be sucking him off for the managerial position.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more Trev.

He's not the Messiah he's a very naughty boy!

He is the manager of, not a Premier, Championship or even League 1 side!! If he was so bloody marvellous why is he stuck at mid table Mansfield at this point in his career? Just please...no!

Its a no from me. Don't like the way he conducts himself.

The only positive is that if there is any merit in this story then we have some cash and we are not as threadbare as we had been led to believe.

Either way I have survived many manager who I didn't agree with and I will do again.

If he comes it will be interesting and it will end in tears - like they all do.

We're football fans so we have the right to be fickle!

I'm massively torn aswell. Despise the man but there's no doubting he's a good manager and probably exactly what we need right now. We've been too nice to play against for years now. Time for that to change.

Trev_GFC - 8/10/2017 00:26

I'd have him at Gills, definitely. Morals? Fuck morals. No such thing as morals in terms of football fans nowadays. I bet if Sam Allardyce showed an interest then we'd be sucking him off for the managerial position.

Incredibly sweeping statement. The fact that moral objections have been raised shows it to be bollocks.
And it looks like you?re at the *ahem* head of the queue for Mr Allardyce.