Steve Evans | Vital Football

Steve Evans

Gills93

Vital Squad Member
Credit to the manager for luring players from higher divisions to the club, he seems very persistent in his pursuit of players and is obviously very convincing, since he arrived I’ve always felt he comes across well in interviews and says a lot of the right things. I’m confident we will get a few more pleasant surprises in the coming days too, Evans could sell sand to the Arabs!

Credit to the manager for luring players from higher divisions to the club, he seems very persistent in his pursuit of players and is obviously very convincing, since he arrived I’ve always felt he comes across well in interviews and says a lot of the right things. I’m confident we will get a few more pleasant surprises in the coming days too, Evans could sell sand to the Arabs!
But he's not on Paul Lambert''s Christmas card list.

Agreed.

If only he could sell GFC as well as sand to the Arabs

He’s certainly won me round.
I was quite anti when he arrived, based solely on his previous history.
He seems a changed character.
I hope he stays for a long while but I expect he’ll be poached after winning the division with the Gills next season.

I'm the same. Was very much opposed given the history of the man but credit where credit is due. He has proven himself to be very good as our manager and i too hope he will stay a long while.

Looking forward to the new season and getting back to watching live football again!

I'm the same. Was very much opposed given the history of the man but credit where credit is due. He has proven himself to be very good as our manager and i too hope he will stay a long while.

Looking forward to the new season and getting back to watching live football again!
As an exile, the only live Gills football I will be watching will be on Ifollow unless clubs allow away fans.
Here’s fingers crossed 🤞

I think he is enjoying his time with us, so as long as him and Scally continue to get on, he could be here long term.

He's certainly doing his best to win round doubting supporters (me included) who questioned his appointment and whether his words when appointed were meant or just the usual manager rhetoric, which to date has definitely been the former.

His recruitment of players has been good (barring the odd couple) and his keeness (is that even a word?) to interact and keep supporters informed and updated especially during these strange times has set an example someone at the football club would do well to follow.

The squad still needs some additions but the few players we've got through the door show promise and hopefully they'll be more quality coming in, but it's nice to have someone who either has good contacts or can sell ice to the Eskimos (or both). Just hope someone doesn't poach him (didn't think I'd say that) and its just a big of a shame we can't give him better than the lowest budget in the division. What might we be able to achieve then?

Last edited:
I think his interactions with the media and fans have been excellent. His, and Raynor’s touchline antics win few friends on opposition benches, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Given his reputation before he arrived, l think he’s been excellent. He’s not known for his longevity, but I hope he sticks around for another couple of seasons.

We know he's been a roaring success and changed character when Detritus ends his boycott.

Come on Det, give the geezer a chance now.

He’s not known for his longevity, but I hope he sticks around for another couple of seasons.

Actually, not many managers nowadays last more than a season or 2 at most with any club.

Gills ourselves have turned over managers at least every 2 seasons on average since Hess, and yet we all think Scally gives his managers a fair go.

But SE had more than 2 seasons at Crawley, Mansfield and Rotherham. That’s not too bad a record.

Actually, not many managers nowadays last more than a season or 2 at most with any club.

Gills ourselves have turned over managers at least every 2 seasons on average since Hess, and yet we all think Scally gives his managers a fair go.

But SE had more than 2 seasons at Crawley, Mansfield and Rotherham. That’s not too bad a record.
You might be interested in this it shows on average in the third tier unlike the top tier their has been surprisingly very little change over the years.It could be because a larger percentage end up in other leagues IE seven clubs go up or down .But only 3 go down from the premier league.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/experimental361.com/2015/12/06/manager-tenure-2/amp/

You might be interested in this it shows on average in the third tier unlike the top tier their has been surprisingly very little change over the years.It could be because a larger percentage end up in other leagues IE seven clubs go up or down .But only 3 go down from the premier league.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/experimental361.com/2015/12/06/manager-tenure-2/amp/

Wow. That’s a great link Chris 👍

So much data there, I think the bloke collating it must have too much time on his hands 😂

But it does show that the average tenure of a manager in 3rd tier hovers around the 2 season mark, and is slowly decreasing with time. And when you consider there’s the odd very long serving manager here and there (ie a Dario Gradi type) then the average for the other 18-20 is probably a lot lower.

I still reckon there probably aren’t many managers that have spent 3+ seasons at 3 different clubs like SE has. Probably only the really successful ones.

Wow. That’s a great link Chris 👍

So much data there, I think the bloke collating it must have too much time on his hands 😂

But it does show that the average tenure of a manager in 3rd tier hovers around the 2 season mark, and is slowly decreasing with time. And when you consider there’s the odd very long serving manager here and there (ie a Dario Gradi type) then the average for the other 18-20 is probably a lot lower.

I still reckon there probably aren’t many managers that have spent 3+ seasons at 3 different clubs like SE has. Probably only the really successful ones.
The fact in at present the Wycombe boss would probably be a bigger target for larger clubs.Possibly followed by one or two others .Evans at present could be a target. If he wanted to leave I feel sure he would get something bigger .But if he believes he can have another good season I think he will stay.Clubs will not want to pay compensation at present so the real test might come if and when his contract is up.

We know he's been a roaring success and changed character when Detritus ends his boycott.

Come on Det, give the geezer a chance now.
You need to keep up old man :giggle: I posted back in a previous thread about this. Just for you I'll quote:

It’s been a year? Blimey.

The reports of the games from those there clearly indicate that he has to be applauded for what he has done to and got out of the team and squad. Football played, attitude right and fighting until the end spirit. Yes, we still have the inconsistency you’d expect from League One players, especially young ones, but he has, it seems, combated that compared to some predecessors.

Off the pitch there hasn’t been the behaviour that has blighted his career prior to joining us. The odd spark but nothing that I would call out of order and nothing that was of the level that made me so against his appointment. Granted we didn’t hit the time when there could have been real pressure, as in if we’d been seriously pushing for a playoff spot, but that’s not his fault. So to not acknowledge that, as things stand, there has not been anything about his year here that has proved my fears or concerns correct would be churlish. I’m still cautious but will admit that, so far, he has proved me wrong. I hope he continues to do so and continues to take us forward. If so I will look forward to seeing it for myself next season.

So I could well be back soon after the stadium is reopened :bounce::utv:

You need to keep up old man :giggle: I posted back in a previous thread about this. Just for you I'll quote:

So I could well be back soon after the stadium is reopened :bounce::utv:
Good man. Sorry I missed that. Surely glory awaits your return.
:-)