Steve Evans interview post Oxford - transfer? | Vital Football

Steve Evans interview post Oxford - transfer?

OneSirKeefy

Vital Football Hero
Anyone see Steve’s interview?

He said we are done with any outgoings. Along the lines of - The chairman has said we will not be selling any of the current players, particularly the main squad.

But did then say there is one bit of business we are still trying to do and the chairman is “looking at it financially over this weekend”.

Sounds like the one mentioned last week of a possible signing that’s worth it if we can achieve it.

Thoughts and ideas?

I'd sit Ogilvie down with a contract extension with a fair release clause and say "club needs to protects its investment in you. Please sign the extension or we need to sell you this window".

We can't afford for him to go on a free. Is he too old for compensation ?

I'd sit Ogilvie down with a contract extension with a fair release clause and say "club needs to protects its investment in you. Please sign the extension or we need to sell you this window".

We can't afford for him to go on a free. Is he too old for compensation ?

Agree. Didn’t SE say we had turned down an offer for him last week? I’d imagine it was a very low offer, because you’d have thought we’d sell for decent money.

Paul Scally is too shrewd to let Ogilvie go without making a good offer, but if Ogilvie doesn't want to sign there nothing he can do, but sell him for what he can get in January.

Paul Scally is too shrewd to let Ogilvie go without making a good offer, but if Ogilvie doesn't want to sign there nothing he can do, but sell him for what he can get in January.
I think that is the most likely outcome although anything is possible at the moment.

Gee, it’s an agreeing day today. Agree with that about PS being too shrewd where money is concerned.

I’m always bewildered when fans come out with the old “why didn’t we tie him down longer? He’s gone for nothing now!”. ie Tom Eaves and others.

I reckon PS knows exactly the value of all GFC “asserts”, and he would definitely offer extended contracts where required. Bottom line is, if a player would rather just test his wage value on the open market, there’s very little we can do. Other than offer longer and bigger ££ contracts up front and take our chances. Not sure we are in a position to do that (unlike Peterboro).

Anyone come across a rumour or a hint about another signing before the Friday deadline?