Sterling | Page 2 | Vital Football

Sterling

I don't think he has anything on Southgate; it's just that the manager appears to want a starting eleven tp stick with - just as Sir Alf did in '66. In a harder match, Southgate might bring on the likes of Rashford earlier against Croatia, it seems.

Sterling just needs a goal for England, then hopefully a few more will follow. Seemed caught in two minds whether to pass or shoot a few times today and then ends up doing neither to any great effect. Very good movement though and he seems to be in the right place to get the chances but then makes things more difficult than they need to be.

Our first starting X1 that has got to a WC semi final for 28 years (first one ever outside England I believe) but 2 of them are crap eh?

In my eyes they are all doing brilliantly. And I'd agree more with the 2 experts quoted by Trev than the "experts" on here. In open play he was the one that had Sweden panicking.

Also agree that if he can get 1 the gates will open and more will follow.

Our first starting X1 that has got to a WC semi final for 28 years (first one ever outside England I believe) but 2 of them are crap eh?

In my eyes they are all doing brilliantly. And I'd agree more with the 2 experts quoted by Trev than the "experts" on here. In open play he was the one that had Sweden panicking.

Also agree that if he can get 1 the gates will open and more will follow.

I probably offer more expertise (and not just football) than any other poster and I think Sterling’s doing okay. Could do better and hopefully will.

Reminds me of 1966 in that nobody could understand how Roger Hunt kept his place in front of Jimmy Greaves. However he did and "Alf" got the right result in the end.

Arm chair experts are wonderful aren't they.

I think it is safe to assume hat Southgate knows a little more about his squad than most internet posters, but, it's all about opinion.

I can remember a guy at Gills telling me where Alex Ferguson was going wrong. I asked if he was talkin about the same Alex Ferguson who won everything in domestic football?

Sterling is so frustrating to watch, he makes some good runs, gets in some great positions but his assist and goal return is poor, and that's what he's in the team for.

Think its strange that Southgate is playing Stirling and Alli in opposite positions they play for their clubs (Stirling plays on the left of a midfield 3 and Alli as a number 10) and both have not been at their best.

We've done better than most expected during this tournament but Shirley if there's a way of possibly improving the team/performance (either swapping Alli and Stirling positionally or bringing Rashford in) its worth trying.

As Detrius says, I fear that at some point Sterlings lack composure, touch and creativity or not taking his chances will cost England.

One goal in 37 games in an England shirt, for an attacking midfielder is not good enough IMO, that's not just based on his performances in this WC.

Yes we're doing well with him in the team, the question is could we do even better and have a better cutting edge and a bigger goal threat with someone else.

the question is could we do even better and have a better cutting edge and a bigger goal threat with someone else.

If that’s the question, Southgate’s repeated answer has been ‘no’ so far and that’s good enough for me. Nothing wrong with asking the question, and the same goes for any player in the squad. Not sure the OP was politely asking a question though ?

I haven't got anything against Sterling, I just found this funny-

If Sterling was given the job of shooting Tupac, he'd be 47 now and still recording!

Fuck off, you're shit. Get Rashford on ASAP.
It's very sad to see so many falling for the media's pathetic pandering to their rag/dipper audience. Sterling is a key asset for England and the individual player who represents our best chance of winning the WC. Nobody else comes close to playing the role he does in Southgate's system. If he gets injured you can probably forget the tournament and yet here you are, clamouring for him to be dropped for Rashford - who is very good for his age but not even close to Sterling in terms of importance for the team.

He has failed time and time again for England, Rashford must be wondering what he [Sterling] has on Southgate to keep getting picked. He's a one trick pony, pace. Rashford has that and an end product. I agree Southgate is doing a fantastic job but I fear this is the one choice that will cost us at some point.

Maybe if Rashford feels like that, he should have taken his chance against Belgium, when his game was generally average and the one chance he had, he fluffed.

I can't really understand this hate in for Sterling. I think he's been very good this tournament. His pace and hard running opens up a lot for Sir Harry. I can't doubt his finishing has been poor but I think he adds a lot more to the team and the way we play under the Gate. If he gets a goal, I think he'll score more than one.

His lack of goals and finishing is not ideal, but he creates so many chances for the team with his runs that he is probably the biggest contributor to goals in the side, despite not actually scoring any himself.