Sterling Falls......... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Sterling Falls.........

Looks as if quite a few people like him, me included, certainly now he has learnt how to score. Agree with Bromley re a sniff of racism.

Hope that comment is not aimed at me 58
No, it isn't. There are a (very) few others on this MB it might apply to, but I've no reason to accuse you of such a thing. I used to think he was a bit of a "headless chicken" the way he played but Guardiola seems to have done a great job on him.

He does seem more popular than you suggested.

Sadly, virtualy every player seems to be programmed/coached to cheat.

I feel sorry for refs who have to deal with that shite. Rugby refs seem to have the right powers. Regretably in football (at the top level) players seem more important than the integrity of the game.

Well he has today signed a new contract worth up to £300k a week. Perhaps he might like to prove he is worth that sort of money when playing for England. There again city pay his wages so why should he. Until he proves himself ,when playing for England ,then he will remain not good enough, not because he is black, but because he has been hopeless , (apart from one match ).

No, it isn't. There are a (very) few others on this MB it might apply to, but I've no reason to accuse you of such a thing. I used to think he was a bit of a "headless chicken" the way he played but Guardiola seems to have done a great job on him.

He does seem more popular than you suggested.

Sadly, virtualy every player seems to be programmed/coached to cheat.

I feel sorry for refs who have to deal with that shite. Rugby refs seem to have the right powers. Regretably in football (at the top level) players seem more important than the integrity of the game.
Cheers 58 for the clarification. I put him in the cheats category along with Klinsman, Francis Lee and that complete tow rag Young who "won" a penalty against us for Villa.

The "racism" bit comes from.the gutter press imo. Can't absolutely prove it but an example was when they raced (pun intended) to condemn him over that apparently stupid gun tatoo without bothering to find out why he did it first.

Cheers 58 for the clarification. I put him in the cheats category along with Klinsman, Francis Lee and that complete tow rag Young who "won" a penalty against us for Villa.

He did not cheat, the player did not break any football regulations.

He fell over the ref gave a penalty, the player did nothing wrong as they are not compelled to tell the ref he is wrong but also the rules states he cannot argue with the refs decision.

Odd though that a top professional footballer allows himself to stub his toe. Makes you wonder what he does during practice.

.... so why didn`t he own up ?

Raheem Sterling, in the penalty area, stubbed his foot on the ground in a game last night and, despite no-one else being in contact range, the ref awarded a penalty. The incident is widely reported and the reporters all agree that it was, quite simply, an accidental fall.

On the one hand, the ref clearly made a serious error. On the other hand, is football now so mercenary that it doesn`t seem that a player would even consider telling the ref that he actually stubbed his toe and that no-one had tripped him - something the assistants or replay could confirm.

Maybe i`m being naive by raising this as an issue. On the other hand, maybe the game has become too dishonest, to the extent that cash is king, nothing else matters.

If your young child, having watched the accidental fall, asks why the penalty awarded and why didn`t Sterling simply tell the ref that he just fell over and was not fouled, what do you tell them ?????????

Not sure if it was deliberate, but Sterling is very small and lightweight, and so has a alarming tendency to fall over or to be pushed off of the ball.

It's no surprise why he's nimble and technically gifted enough to adapt to Man City's tika-taka system, but cannot adapt to England's (slightly) more direct and physical game.

I don't believe Sterling has problems adapting to England's game but I do think he has struggled to make the same impact internationally. He is blessed not only with unusual pace but the ability to move through the gears seamlessly and to stop abruptly. Those attributes are more than enough in the premiership but Guardiola has got him thinking about and improving other areas.

Kane scored the goals in the world cup but Sterling was the one, who posed difficult problems for the better teams. As Sterling improves the way he strikes a ball and when, we will see his influence on the national game grow. I'm looking forward to that.