Stefanos Kapino | Page 4 | Vital Football

Stefanos Kapino

Pope John XXIII - 7/2/2018 18:54

Calvin Plummer - 7/2/2018 17:16

toms - 7/2/2018 17:11

AdebolaCornflakes - 7/2/2018 14:52

There is always a place for youth. We haven't been shite these last few years because we've been blooding the likes of Osborn, Brereton, Cash and Worrall; it's largely been down to a shite defence which several managers have failed to strengthen.

It would be such a shame to see the players named above benched all of a sudden now we have some experienced players in. It strikes me that we have a pretty good balance between youth and experience now.

Sorry mate but none of the above are good enough to be consistently play in a promotion chasing team. Karanka knows this. The only people who think otherwise are idealists. We will end up hopefully being no different to other clubs, namely introducing only the very best youngsters for a few games and loaning out the rest

We will look back at the days of worrall, Smith, Osborn and cash with nostalgic fondness wishing them well for their loans at burton, reading, Brentford and derby

Definitely, injury prone aging players who aren't wanted by their current teams are the way to go.

Yet you celebrated the signing of Murphy and the extension to Fox, who are both exactly as you describe but more expensive and at least in Fox's case, shit

More expensive than what?

Do you honestly think that the new guys have all signed for bargain prices?

Geddy fell into the same category as Murphy; he had a contract to pay up (a longer contract than Murphy) so that he could move on a free.

Clubs have two choices when signing players on PL contracts; match the contract or pay the existing one up and then pay the player less over longer - clubs usually go for the second option so that the incoming player fits in with the existing pay structure

Could you seriously see Watson cancel his contract with Watford unless there was a lucrative signing on fee being dangled in front of him?

As glad as I am to see them all sign I don't think for one minute they are doing us a big favour by playing for nothing.

I'm not sure what your point is with Fox; he signed his contract extension in July 2016 which was under Fawaz's jurisdiction and prior to MW and EM having any influence.

jbacsta - 7/2/2018 20:42

Apparently Olimpiacos signed him for £2.5 million 2 years ago, played every game including champions league last season and then they cancelled his contract. Two weeks later he signs for us because "he likes us". Looks like the big man has a complete understanding of FFP to me. Join all the others that seem to be getting round it.

That's not a bad effort!

Apart from the facts , that is!

He cost 2m euros not 2.5m pounds.

And he only played 18 out of 30 league games and very nearly all of their CL games last season.

I doubt that this guys worth in the transfer market would have any bearing whatsoever on FFP; 500K say, over three years would make his wages a far bigger burden.

mao tse tung - 8/2/2018 10:03

There is always a place for youth. We haven't been shite these last few years because we've been blooding the likes of Osborn, Brereton, Cash and Worrall; it's largely been down to a shite defence which several managers have failed to strengthen.

It would be such a shame to see the players named above benched all of a sudden now we have some experienced players in. It strikes me that we have a pretty good balance between youth and experience now.

Sorry mate but none of the above are good enough to be consistently play in a promotion chasing team. Karanka knows this. The only people who think otherwise are idealists. We will end up hopefully being no different to other clubs, namely introducing only the very best youngsters for a few games and loaning out the rest

We will look back at the days of worrall, Smith, Osborn and cash with nostalgic fondness wishing them well for their loans at burton, reading, Brentford and derby

Definitely, injury prone aging players who aren't wanted by their current teams are the way to go.

Yet you celebrated the signing of Murphy and the extension to Fox, who are both exactly as you describe but more expensive and at least in Fox's case, shit

Geddy fell into the same category as Murphy; he had a contract to pay up (a longer contract than Murphy) so that he could move on a free.

Clubs have two choices when signing players on PL contracts; match the contract or pay the existing one up and then pay the player less over longer - clubs usually go for the second option so that the incoming player fits in with the existing pay structure

Could you seriously see Watson cancel his contract with Watford unless there was a lucrative signing on fee being dangled in front of him?

As glad as I am to see them all sign I don't think for one minute they are doing us a big favour by playing for nothing.

I'm not sure what your point is with Fox; he signed his contract extension in July 2016 which was under Fawaz's jurisdiction and prior to MW and EM having any influence.

I'm referring to Murphy's fee. Yes, perhaps that was offsetting wages for FFP purposes but it still amounts to £2m plus weekly wages for 3 years- a fair whack of money.

I'm under no illusions about the new signings being cheap, but Fox isn't cheap either for his contribution.

We haven't made many long term commitments this window-shopping a couple of 2 year contracts to slightly older players is being played up as bad business by certain people

Honestly, I really can't see anything wrong with having 3 or 4 thirty somethings about the place.
Plus last time I checked all the youngsters were still here.
So...

Pope John XXIII - 8/2/2018 10:21

mao tse tung - 8/2/2018 10:03

I'm referring to Murphy's fee. Yes, perhaps that was offsetting wages for FFP purposes but it still amounts to £2m plus weekly wages for 3 years- a fair whack of money.

I'm under no illusions about the new signings being cheap, but Fox isn't cheap either for his contribution.

We haven't made many long term commitments this window-shopping a couple of 2 year contracts to slightly older players is being played up as bad business by certain people

It is a fair whack of money but you are looking at around 1m to cancel his Newcastle contract and then a signing on fee; Geddy had longer to run on his contract so I would imagine we have paid slightly more than 2m.

But that is what the market demands; Forshaw left Middlesboro for Leeds and a figure in excess of 4m was quoted; he had a contract running to 2020 so the best part of the fee quoted would have been compensation.

The players are milking it at every single stage of their careers now regardless of age.

But I completely agree about our contract commitments; we now appear to be operating to a financial plan, at long last.

Sniffer Dog - 8/2/2018 10:38

Honestly, I really can't see anything wrong with having 3 or 4 thirty somethings about the place.
So...

The type of player we have just purchased will greatly benefit the development of the youngsters, not hinder their progress.

We have a far more balanced squad now that we did at the start of the season.

Another three or four out in the summer, replaced by better quality, and we can start to look at a top six position next season.

If we are really signing Kapino, which looks very likely, I would say Pantilimon will last no longer than his loan period; he is under contract at Watford for two more years and I would guess that he will be well out of reach as far as wages are concerned.

mao tse tung - 8/2/2018 12:17

Sniffer Dog - 8/2/2018 10:38

So...

The type of player we have just purchased will greatly benefit the development of the youngsters, not hinder their progress.

We have a far more balanced squad now that we did at the start of the season.

Another three or four out in the summer, replaced by better quality, and we can start to look at a top six position next season.

Exactly Mao.

Kapino has now signed and from U Tube clips of his play, he seems to be an excellent GK, though these videos can be deceiving, as we know. But looking forward to seeing him soon, to provide some comparison with Pants who I thought should have saved Fulham's first goal. He did make a couple of decent saves after that. And I wonder if our new LB will start on Saturday? Maybe not, hasn't played this season.

Sound. More competition in the goalkeeping position. Forest need that. Player with experience of playing for his country too. 6.5 good height for a keeper that.

We'll see how the new keepers do with a baptism of fire at the City Ground.

I'm enjoying the dramatic and sweeping squad changes from Karanka.

SA.

I think it was expected... with the Panti `personal issues` highlighted by AK .... hope he does well and plays the other 3 games ...
Me too Malta, he's a big lad, think he's only a couple of inches shorter than Panti. I really hope he does well.

I did wonder when this would happen. More than happy to see what he can do but think it may be a baptism of fire against Cardiff.

Why not give him a chance to stake his place?

With Panti, assuming we do sign him. Kapino & Smith - we need competition.

The lad has played in the Champions League, World Cup Qualifiers and Olympiakos - Panathinaikos derby games (it doesn't get any 'hotter' than that). I don't think he'll be too intimidated playing at Cardiff.

We went to watch Cardiff v Forest during Xmas break, sure it was 16-17 season (could have been 15-16) .... found the locals ok, kids we were colours & we were the only Forest fans in their pub!

The lad has played in the Champions League, World Cup Qualifiers and Olympiakos - Panathinaikos derby games (it doesn't get any 'hotter' than that). I don't think he'll be too intimidated playing at Cardiff.

Pretty much a must win game for them, I hope we do ok, but some of our players already have their minds on their hols!