Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 80 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

Anyway, sorry, couldn't resist illustrating my comedic genius.

What was the thread again!? Oh feck, yes, relegation.

Hello Gentlemen,

Been a while since I have commented on here, but I still check in every now and then to get a feeling for thoughts and opinions from fellow Villans,

So much has happened since I last posted which I think was last time we got relegated, that pathetic team that whimpered to relegation under Eric Black after the Remi Garde debacle. I wanted Tim Sherwood to be the man to restore the glory days, then I so wanted it to be Dean Smith. Bruce in my opinion was always there to serve a purpose, settle us down after a succession of failed Managers and upheval.

That final whistle at Wembley last May felt like a new beginning and a wave of optimism followed throughout an exciting summer. Unfortunately life as a Villa fan is never that simple. All we crave or the vast majority of fans I associate with crave, is a team we can be proud of. Win, Lose or Draw a team that gives its all. I don't hold Smith completely accountable for this season, I think the man has been hamstrung by another 'new way' that stinks of Tom Fox and Paddy Reilly. That being said decisions tactically have been weak and I do believe he needs to reinvent himself.

We were promised a 'go for it' brand of football but for that you need players completely bought into a Managers philosophy. You need fit players and players that are hungry, we haven't got that. What we got is more lads who think they've made it the minute they sign on the dotted line at Bodymoor. How many of these have we seen in the last decade?

For me it was simple, lose Tammy and Axel you replace them with someone capable of banging in 15-20 goals a and someone quick alongside Mings who is a pure defender. We did neither.

I don't think a LB was a priority, Hause for the money we got him for competing with Taylor and Hutton, who I'd of kept for a season would have been fine. In my opinion it was criminal not signing the two Brentford lads Maupay and Benrahma. They were so key to the aggressive attacking style Smith wanted. So much money wasted, Again I shudder.

We are a team bereft of ideas other than give the ball to Jack. I think last night the fact that we were depending on Norwich to get us a result tells us everything we need to know.

So frustrating and so disappointing the ''GO'' we've had at it. These 5 games we have left in my opinion are the biggest 5 games in our recent history and the worst thing is we can't be there to support. I just pray we somehow get a divine intervention. Sorry for babbling... :)

Hello Gentlemen,

Been a while since I have commented on here, but I still check in every now and then to get a feeling for thoughts and opinions from fellow Villans,

So much has happened since I last posted which I think was last time we got relegated, that pathetic team that whimpered to relegation under Eric Black after the Remi Garde debacle. I wanted Tim Sherwood to be the man to restore the glory days, then I so wanted it to be Dean Smith. Bruce in my opinion was always there to serve a purpose, settle us down after a succession of failed Managers and upheval.

That final whistle at Wembley last May felt like a new beginning and a wave of optimism followed throughout an exciting summer. Unfortunately life as a Villa fan is never that simple. All we crave or the vast majority of fans I associate with crave, is a team we can be proud of. Win, Lose or Draw a team that gives its all. I don't hold Smith completely accountable for this season, I think the man has been hamstrung by another 'new way' that stinks of Tom Fox and Paddy Reilly. That being said decisions tactically have been weak and I do believe he needs to reinvent himself.

We were promised a 'go for it' brand of football but for that you need players completely bought into a Managers philosophy. You need fit players and players that are hungry, we haven't got that. What we got is more lads who think they've made it the minute they sign on the dotted line at Bodymoor. How many of these have we seen in the last decade?

For me it was simple, lose Tammy and Axel you replace them with someone capable of banging in 15-20 goals a and someone quick alongside Mings who is a pure defender. We did neither.

I don't think a LB was a priority, Hause for the money we got him for competing with Taylor and Hutton, who I'd of kept for a season would have been fine. In my opinion it was criminal not signing the two Brentford lads Maupay and Benrahma. They were so key to the aggressive attacking style Smith wanted. So much money wasted, Again I shudder.

We are a team bereft of ideas other than give the ball to Jack. I think last night the fact that we were depending on Norwich to get us a result tells us everything we need to know.

So frustrating and so disappointing the ''GO'' we've had at it. These 5 games we have left in my opinion are the biggest 5 games in our recent history and the worst thing is we can't be there to support. I just pray we somehow get a divine intervention. Sorry for babbling... :)

Excellent summary of where we are. Yes we would have liked Maupay and Benrahma instead we got Wesley, all on here felt one new striker wasn’t enough and that became evident very quickly. We did score ok at first but defensively we were gifting mistakes on an industrial scale. Started inexplicably in the first match with Heaton and continued from there. I’m not convinced at all by Mings whom I believe flatters to deceive as for the novices that were meant to play alongside him, all were a massive gamble that failed. Just someone solid like a Dawson type would have done, one who can head one in for us occasionally.
We had a great chance of staying up starting with Sheff Utd but didn’t have the guts to go for it. 3 points there were essential to kick start us off ahead of the rest especially given our later fixtures.
We can still do it and it could go to the wire but it’s difficult to see how as our strikers, to return to the earlier point, are nowhere near the quality required in this league.

:wave:

Good to see you around mate.

And agree with this especially, but really, all of your post !

Cheers. Dunno if you can remember JF but about 10 years ago, I came up to play in a 6 a side comp at the Academy inside Villa Park, I think representing Vital Villa? Our mutual friend Dave got me along and he never showed up!! Think I scored our only goal, we were as bad as this current lot. Haha!! Team from Ireland won it.

Excellent summary of where we are. Yes we would have liked Maupay and Benrahma instead we got Wesley, all on here felt one new striker wasn’t enough and that became evident very quickly. We did score ok at first but defensively we were gifting mistakes on an industrial scale. Started inexplicably in the first match with Heaton and continued from there. I’m not convinced at all by Mings whom I believe flatters to deceive as for the novices that were meant to play alongside him, all were a massive gamble that failed. Just someone solid like a Dawson type would have done, one who can head one in for us occasionally.
We had a great chance of staying up starting with Sheff Utd but didn’t have the guts to go for it. 3 points there were essential to kick start us off ahead of the rest especially given our later fixtures.
We can still do it and it could go to the wire but it’s difficult to see how as our strikers, to return to the earlier point, are nowhere near the quality required in this league.

Genuinely think Tuanzebe made Mings look good last season. His return was as important as Jack's was IMO.

Ripping up the bench at United that's a fact
Says it all really, someone we wanted to keep, United wanted him as a bench warmer. Not made the starting eleven once, but in fairness to him missed fifteen games with hip and hamstring injuries, and now not even in the match day squad.

Just always feels like we get the raw end of transfer dealings. United would have definitely been better loaning him to us for another year of first team football. Nobody has won in his current situation.

If we go down, I for one hope we don't make anymore loan signings, without an option to buy if successful. Can't stand our Club developing other teams talent.

Cheers. Dunno if you can remember JF but about 10 years ago, I came up to play in a 6 a side comp at the Academy inside Villa Park, I think representing Vital Villa? Our mutual friend Dave got me along and he never showed up!! Think I scored our only goal, we were as bad as this current lot. Haha!! Team from Ireland won it.

I'd forgotten about that tournament, I do remember putting a team out. Unfortunately I couldn't play though, so was a bit crap watching everyone else run around! lol

I see Dean talking about our strikers being judged on goals, as he's judged on results, well at present, both are woeful. The town and country knew we were short on strikers in August, and that I'm afraid is going to cost us..