Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 12 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

Exactly what I've been saying for a while, but I'd probably stick Conor in ahead of Drinkwater. At least he coud offer us a goal/set piece threat, Drinkwater looks like he'll take a long time to get up to speed, if he ever does
I like Drinkwater on the ball and think he'd be okay in a three to cover his lack of pace. Vs Man City, Hourihane was as bad as Drinkwater but had no excuse re fitness, but either or until McGinn's back.

Smith loves his wingers too much.

I'd like to see Jack playing just behind Samatta, giving him the freedom to go where he wants. As you say Targett and Freddy should be giving us the width we need without having to play wingers as well.

So before Bournemouth I predicted that we would get 15 points from the remaining games to finish on 40. Currently we are -1 vs my prediction -->
I thought we'd lose to TOT & draw against Bournemouth.

Questions:
Am I being too hard on us?
Would 40 points be enough to be safe ?

Still to go:
Lose to: Southampton, Leicester, L'pool, Everton,
Draw with: Chel, New, Man U, Arse, WHU
Win: Sheff Utd, Wolves, Palace

Can't see us getting the wins, we just don't deliver consistently enough, incapable of keeping it together for 90 mins, we'll be competitive in most of the matches but strikes me this season is a bit of a hard luck story.

So before Bournemouth I predicted that we would get 15 points from the remaining games to finish on 40. Currently we are -1 vs my prediction -->
I thought we'd lose to TOT & draw against Bournemouth.

Questions:
Am I being too hard on us?
Would 40 points be enough to be safe ?

Still to go:
Lose to: Southampton, Leicester, L'pool, Everton,
Draw with: Chel, New, Man U, Arse, WHU
Win: Sheff Utd, Wolves, Palace

40 points is easily good enough. I reckon it could be as low as 36, certainly not more than 38. Why? We're in a pack of 6 struggling to make any advance at all. Doubt it more than 2 of the other 5 can get over 36. If we hit 36 I think there'll be 3 below us.

We can beat Southampton and WHU. We'll get nothing from Sheff, Wolves or Liverpool. We can pick up points against the rest. Make out of that what you will.

Only Liverpool away in theory we couldn’t get a point in.

So 11 games, we probably need 5 wins to be definitely safe as you’d imagine the odd draw would happen.

it’s going to be very tough now and we HAVE to improve but will we?

I would say doubtful after yesterday, we just can’t dig out results especially away.

Only Liverpool away in theory we couldn’t get a point in.

So 11 games, we probably need 5 wins to be definitely safe as you’d imagine the odd draw would happen.

it’s going to be very tough now and we HAVE to improve but will we?

I would say doubtful after yesterday, we just can’t dig out results especially away.
Our a lot are a soft touch for me, not much of a nasty streak in them, not sure the mentality is quite there, there's a couple of exceptions of course but outside of Grealish, Mings and Reina I'm not convinced the bottle and heart is quite there.

I thought we did play with a lot of bottle and spirit against Spurs, a Champions League side. Possibly the best we've played so far in that respect. It was mistakes, especially Engels for their third goal, which cost us.

El Ghazi was fired up, and his cross made the first goal. Trez when he comes on plays with fire even if his skills lack that bit extra. Targett seems to becoming more confident and causes problems. And so on. Samatta is great.

Play like that and we can beat Southampton, who's recovery is entirely down to Ings.

You sure about that? It will mostly be a load of crying over having to face up to life with Jack (and Tyrone and Heaton and SJM) :lol:
Yep, pretty sure they’ll have gone. But one minor positive from this season is that few of our other players are likely to attract interest. So for example, Samatta and Wesley will be a great front two in the championship. Yesterday’s back five, with nyland and steer fighting for the goalie’s shirt, should be fine at that level.
connor, nakamba and perhaps a new midfielder and you’ve got the basis of a top half championship team.

We are where we are because of recurring issues, typified by yesterday. Some fabulous attacking play, but, constant errors in defensive areas, basic schoolboy errors.

Conceded more goals than any team in the league, stats like that confirm that you are really not good enough to be in that league.

Our a lot are a soft touch for me, not much of a nasty streak in them, not sure the mentality is quite there, there's a couple of exceptions of course but outside of Grealish, Mings and Reina I'm not convinced the bottle and heart is quite there.

Don’t forget we can add Johnny McGinn to that list in March.... I don’t think we can underestimate how important his return could be....it’ll be like having a new signing when he returns and could be a crucial factor in our survival bid. The sooner he’s back the better!

Well let's hope that a highly motivated Man Citeh stuff the PKs on Wednesday by 7 at least. That would do nicely as a starter before the last 12 games.

I'd like to see Jack playing just behind Samatta, giving him the freedom to go where he wants. As you say Targett and Freddy should be giving us the width we need without having to play wingers as well.

Deano's entire gameplan is built around overloading the flanks. His 433 and 343 have to 3 common elements. Full backs who push on, wingers who stay wide and two number 8's in he middle of the park.

Until Davis got injured, himself and Samatta up top with Grealish in behind would have been very promising.

Tactical theory seems to suggest that having 3 up top when using a 3 or 5 man backline can be very dangerous and its proven to be. However 3-5-1-1 or 3-6-1 is very rare and appears very negative. It's probably exactly what we need though. Marv is overloaded and the midfield is easily outworked, overpower and easy to play through.

Sacrificing a winger and adding a centre mid might stop teams walking through the middle with ease.

I suppose having another in central midfield would in theory plug some of the gaps we leave for the opposition to exploit. Although the balls played being Targett and Guilbert would still be a problem for our dreadful centre backs.

Deano's entire gameplan is built around overloading the flanks. His 433 and 343 have to 3 common elements. Full backs who push on, wingers who stay wide and two number 8's in he middle of the park.

Until Davis got injured, himself and Samatta up top with Grealish in behind would have been very promising.

Tactical theory seems to suggest that having 3 up top when using a 3 or 5 man backline can be very dangerous and its proven to be. However 3-5-1-1 or 3-6-1 is very rare and appears very negative. It's probably exactly what we need though. Marv is overloaded and the midfield is easily outworked, overpower and easy to play through.

Sacrificing a winger and adding a centre mid might stop teams walking through the middle with ease.
The opposition always seem to have an extra man in CM. In fact sometimes they do!

40 points is easily good enough. I reckon it could be as low as 36, certainly not more than 38. Why? We're in a pack of 6 struggling to make any advance at all. Doubt it more than 2 of the other 5 can get over 36. If we hit 36 I think there'll be 3 below us.

We can beat Southampton and WHU. We'll get nothing from Sheff, Wolves or Liverpool. We can pick up points against the rest. Make out of that what you will.
Nothing from those three yet something from arsenal manu and chelsea? seen our home record since 1998 against the first two?
36 points will send us down.