Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Villan57 posted in the match thread the other day that Villa basically need six wins out of 15 games now.

I guess it depends where the baseline will be relegation wise this year, I can see it being fairly high as everything is so unpredictable.

But does that sound about right?

If so, where do we think those six wins will come from?

I bloody hope tomorrow night and then v Bournemouth for a start.

Without reinforcements, especially a striker (should be two, not sure what we are playing at if I'm honest) I just don't see us winning that many, not unless Jack can keep saving the day.

It is a league with loads of surprises this season, however we haven't pulled off any surprises as yet. I'm not interested in the 'we were close' stuff btw, close doesn't count at all in the league

February is a big month for us - Bournemouth (A), Spurs (H), Southampton (A) and Sheff United (H). We could do with three wins from that lot somehow before a tricky March and April period.

Pointless me looking at fixtures as I naturally believe we can win every game lol.

I do think tomorrow and Bournemouth are winnable and it wouldn't surprise me if we beat Spurs as well , nor Arsenal and Man Utd.

Liverpool away maybe tricky though.

Last time I tried to be positive was when I said Drinkwater was a good signing, I won't make the same mistake again. We're going down and it could be sealed relatively early.

We have Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, and Spurs at home. We have to pull off a result or 2 there like those around us are doing.

Our record against the so called big clubs really is abysmal.
I would echo sirdennis post above, all the teams above are not what they were, they are in a state of flux, new managers re buiding tired teams and all of them have suffered unexpected defeats this season, and I dont see why we cant get something from them.

I would echo sirdennis post above, all the teams above are not what they were, they are in a state of flux, new managers re buiding tired teams and all of them have suffered unexpected defeats this season, and I dont see why we cant get something from them.

All the more reason we should be beating them then, but we've only picked up 1 point from those 4.

We have from 4th down to 10th all at home to come, we need a few wins from them and get anything we can from those around us

All the more reason we should be beating them then, but we've only picked up 1 point from those 4.

We have from 4th down to 10th all at home to come, we need a few wins from them and get anything we can from those around us
I actually believe that the mid-table teams are the most likely to yield the points we need. With the exception of Norwich, all the teams around us at the bottom are either used to a scrap or have enough quality to beat us. Mid-table clubs have a little bit of a false sense of security and hence don't have the desperation for points.

36 was enough to stay up last year. Could be enough for this year as well, so 5 wins. Win the next 2 (he says hopefully) and that would leave 3 out of 13 to get. Doable. Think it depends on us and how this transfer window pans out. Other teams have slumps; can we take advantage of them?

Another way of looking at it; 1 point per match over the season should do it. At 22 points from 23 matches we're a point behind that. Win 1 of the next 2 matches and we're back on course, but we really need to be getting more.

It'll be close. But not desperate. Yet.

Easier said than done in my opinion, we’ve won 6 out of 23, so 6 in 15 will difficult. The next few games will be crucial, if we still need 6 wins with only 12 games to go it will be nearly impossible, if we only need 4 wins at that point it looks a lot more reasonable

I just don't fancy us when it comes to pulling off a surprise result like other clubs have. Hope to be wrong, this is signing depending because the right few signings could change the complexion massively.

I just look at it like David_avfc does, on the facts so far. We can but hope that things change, but last Saturday hardly gave massive hope did it? Yes, we fought back a bit in the 2nd half, but only really once Jack got his (yet another) wonderful goal

We can but hope that things change, but last Saturday hardly gave massive hope did it? Yes, we fought back a bit in the 2nd half, but only really once Jack got his (yet another) wonderful goal

You'd have to wonder how much we can improve in 3 days. Maybe a crash course in doing the basics right?

The only hope we have is that the new striker(s) can help Jack with carrying the team. If they don't work out, we are doomed.

1 point from the top 10 teams we have I believe. So not just the big 5 or 6 we struggle against.

I'm the same as a few on here. I back the boys 100 percent, I never boo, I always sing, I'm very defensive of villa BUT when it's time to be a realist and on here we can be, I just look at those players and our record against the brilliant and the mediocre and I just think 'how the feck are we going to pull this off'.

That's before we even think about our non striker situation. It's a massive up hill battle. I know it was always going to be an uphill battle but yet again we havnt helped ourselves with recruitment.

My brain is laughing at me for even contemplating 6 wins in 15.

My heart says 'Holte enders in the sky'.

You'd have to wonder how much we can improve in 3 days. Maybe a crash course in doing the basics right?

The only hope we have is that the new striker(s) can help Jack with carrying the team. If they don't work out, we are doomed.

My hope is just the fact every now and then, they look ok. I don't buy into the comments from some - equally valid, not having a go, - about showing happiness when we correct an awful first half (like v BHA) by what some say as showing a bit of spirit and fight.

Spirit and fight should be from kick off and for 90 mins, match in, match out. I feel ashamed at times that they are allowed to get away with such awful no shows (over a number of years)