Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 91 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

Assuming (big assumption I know) that we secure the points against Everton, what is the best result for the Watford v West Ham game?

A draw keeps them both in the relegation mix while a loss for West Ham could mean a "winner takes all" showdown on the final day. A win for West Ham might mean they are safe and metaphorically "on the beach".

Too many variables to ponder, but it poses an interesting conundrum :hmmm:
I'm really hoping West Ham win. They have an easier run in and if they are safe on the final day they will be on the beach. I doubt it would make much difference, but their gd is also much better. a 6 goal difference between us and Watford isn't ompletely insurmountable, especially if man city decide to turn up

Even with losing the Premier League riches, there should be some money to spend. We should hopefully get £100m for Grealish, Luiz & Mings. We should get another £20-30m from selling the likes of Trezeguet, maybe Engels, El Ghazi, Samatta etc. Hopefully we can bring in enough to mount a serious bid for the top 2 next season, but I don’t have much faith in Smith or the recruitment team. We have to hit the ground running next season and impose ourselves from the first whistle. Playing catch up is not good enough.

Even with losing the Premier League riches, there should be some money to spend. We should hopefully get £100m for Grealish, Luiz & Mings. We should get another £20-30m from selling the likes of Trezeguet, maybe Engels, El Ghazi, Samatta etc. Hopefully we can bring in enough to mount a serious bid for the top 2 next season, but I don’t have much faith in Smith or the recruitment team. We have to hit the ground running next season and impose ourselves from the first whistle. Playing catch up is not good enough.
Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Samatta and Engels - what a fukin shower that lot is.

We certainly don't make it any easier do we?

We don't want West Ham and Watford to draw tomorrow, we definitely need a clear win... West Ham ideally.
I want a Watford win or a draw. Watford win, we draw against arsenal, we go into the final game with our survival firmly in our own hands. If they draw, we beat arsenal, got a chance to go above both of them on the final day. West Ham win takes survival out of our hands.

I want a Watford win or a draw. Watford win, we draw against arsenal, we go into the final game with our survival firmly in our own hands. If they draw, we beat arsenal, got a chance to go above both of them on the final day. West Ham win takes survival out of our hands.

Not if West Ham get a point at man United we dont, even if they lose to Watford, they'll be 3 pts in front of us with a better goal difference. Personally think I'd rather see West Ham win tomorrow which means they'll be on the beach last 2 games. Cant see Watford getting much out of man city and arsenal. Unfortunately with bloody Bournemouth beating Leicester we seem to be forgetting they're in the mix as well which could also scupper us.....arggghh!

If Watford lose tomorrow there's every chance they won't pick up another point. Which means West Ham should be safe coming into the final game, which suits us.

If Watford don't pick up any more points their GD will be -24 or worse, probably worse. A win might just do it for us; a win and a draw definitely would do. Close!

Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Samatta and Engels - what a fukin shower that lot is.
I know Trez has scored a few to be fair. But he's built like a pub player. How deluded was I when I saw Samatta -one goal score at Wembley and thought he was going to be useful. Another waste of space like Wesley.

If Watford lose tomorrow there's every chance they won't pick up another point. Which means West Ham should be safe coming into the final game, which suits us.

If Watford don't pick up any more points their GD will be -24 or worse, probably worse. A win might just do it for us; a win and a draw definitely would do. Close!
We have to get something against arsenal. City might not play their first team v Watford. They struggled to beat Bournemouth.
We need at least 4 points and maybe 6. And snookers.

I wouldn’t even fancy Samatta to score many in the championship. Another waste of money in the long list of waste of money buys.

I do think people might be surprised at how many of this side stays. Unless they push for a move I can’t see clubs splashing a load of cash. I think Grealish has a rude awakening if he thinks he’s going to a champions league club. He’s been dire in the last 8 games.

Cant forget Bournemouth though mate thanks to bloody Leicester which also helped their goal difference which could be vital, it's not just Watford and West Ham. Bournemouth have Saints and Everton...both with sod all to play for.

Watford have Arsenal on the final day. That's doable. I dont want to go into the West Ham game with the fate of our survival in the hands of David Luiz. But that's just me.

Of course there has been scenarios of "bad luck" - the palace goal getting chalked off, mcginn not getting the penalty vs spurs on the first day, arsenal handball, injuries to heaton, mcginn, wesley- but also our own naivety- injured mings trying to carry on vs Leicester, using 4 keepers, still not knowing the best team selection well into the season.

But conceding 17 goals in the last 15 mins of games is scandalous

Giving 6 points to Bournemouth is criminal.

I don't think that this season we had that wow result y'know?.... no wow goal.... unless it's coming against arsenal and west ham?

I wouldn’t even fancy Samatta to score many in the championship. Another waste of money in the long list of waste of money buys.

I do think people might be surprised at how many of this side stays. Unless they push for a move I can’t see clubs splashing a load of cash. I think Grealish has a rude awakening if he thinks he’s going to a champions league club. He’s been dire in the last 8 games.
On current form he wouldn't get in the southampton midfield. His only excuse is he's trying too hard for his boyhood team.

Of course there has been scenarios of "bad luck" - the palace goal getting chalked off, mcginn not getting the penalty vs spurs on the first day, arsenal handball, injuries to heaton, mcginn, wesley- but also our own naivety- injured mings trying to carry on vs Leicester, using 4 keepers, still not knowing the best team selection well into the season.

But conceding 17 goals in the last 15 mins of games is scandalous

Giving 6 points to Bournemouth is criminal.

I don't think that this season we had that wow result y'know?.... no wow goal.... unless it's coming against arsenal and west ham?
Nearest was the grealish goal and the draw at old Trafford. ...usually a graveyard for us. A spot of rain water in desert of a season......etc etc.
A memory to take with us when the trips to wycombe and Wigan crop up next season.

Last edited: