Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 81 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

Wesley most likely won't be here next season in the second division. Whatever we think of him, he sees himself as a Brazilian international.
Good that's one waster less.
Hello Gentlemen,

Been a while since I have commented on here, but I still check in every now and then to get a feeling for thoughts and opinions from fellow Villans,

So much has happened since I last posted which I think was last time we got relegated, that pathetic team that whimpered to relegation under Eric Black after the Remi Garde debacle. I wanted Tim Sherwood to be the man to restore the glory days, then I so wanted it to be Dean Smith. Bruce in my opinion was always there to serve a purpose, settle us down after a succession of failed Managers and upheval.

That final whistle at Wembley last May felt like a new beginning and a wave of optimism followed throughout an exciting summer. Unfortunately life as a Villa fan is never that simple. All we crave or the vast majority of fans I associate with crave, is a team we can be proud of. Win, Lose or Draw a team that gives its all. I don't hold Smith completely accountable for this season, I think the man has been hamstrung by another 'new way' that stinks of Tom Fox and Paddy Reilly. That being said decisions tactically have been weak and I do believe he needs to reinvent himself.

We were promised a 'go for it' brand of football but for that you need players completely bought into a Managers philosophy. You need fit players and players that are hungry, we haven't got that. What we got is more lads who think they've made it the minute they sign on the dotted line at Bodymoor. How many of these have we seen in the last decade?

For me it was simple, lose Tammy and Axel you replace them with someone capable of banging in 15-20 goals a and someone quick alongside Mings who is a pure defender. We did neither.

I don't think a LB was a priority, Hause for the money we got him for competing with Taylor and Hutton, who I'd of kept for a season would have been fine. In my opinion it was criminal not signing the two Brentford lads Maupay and Benrahma. They were so key to the aggressive attacking style Smith wanted. So much money wasted, Again I shudder.

We are a team bereft of ideas other than give the ball to Jack. I think last night the fact that we were depending on Norwich to get us a result tells us everything we need to know.

So frustrating and so disappointing the ''GO'' we've had at it. These 5 games we have left in my opinion are the biggest 5 games in our recent history and the worst thing is we can't be there to support. I just pray we somehow get a divine intervention. Sorry for babbling... :)
Pretty good summing up of a sad situation.

Says it all really, someone we wanted to keep, United wanted him as a bench warmer. Not made the starting eleven once, but in fairness to him missed fifteen games with hip and hamstring injuries, and now not even in the match day squad.
Current form suggests Grealish will be sat alongside him next year. ..if United bother with either of them..

Last edited:
Current form suggests Grealish will be sat alongside him next year. ..if United bother with either of them..
I am assuming that if Jack goes there he will be mentally rejuvinated playing in a team where he is not expected to do it all, and win most weeks as opposed to losing.
He is a sublime talent when playing as he can and with quality around him it will be interesting to see what he can do, but he will have to get used to the fact he will be a squad member as opposed to first name on the team sheet.

Final match scenario.

West ham need to avoid defeat or hope watford lose.
Watford need a win.
We need a win and watford draw.

Result....var sends us down both at arsenal and west ham.

May Stockley Park and all within her rot in the pits of whatever biased hell they reside.

Lets not get too down, all we have to do to survive is win three of the last four games. Simple.

Lets not get too down, all we have to do to survive is win three of the last four games. Simple.

That is very true. Won't happen, but it's true none the less. I think a season in the championship (providing it is just one this time) will be far more benefical long term than another crap top flight season wasting money on players without ever testing the likes of Barry. However, what happens if the owners decide they want out??? Armageddon. Again.

I know,after the Manure mauling that we're no further away from safety (Ha!} but to me that's it...... DONE AND DUSTED.

There's no belief, no fight, nothing. It's all over bar the shouting.

I know,after the Manure mauling that we're no further away from safety (Ha!} but to me that's it...... DONE AND DUSTED.

There's no belief, no fight, nothing. It's all over bar the shouting.
It was poor showing once we went behind. I do think though we have one more chance, against Palace, to get back into it, but that will be tough a game, I said before they are a solid side and we are a shambles. We have to go for it, no playing it safe we need to throw the kitchen sink at it for 90 minutes, it’s do or die.

This squad was never good enough to play in the Premiership. Whoever thought the likes of Konsa, Jota, Hause, Targett, El Ghazi, Treseguet, Nakamba would have been capable should be strung up. The first teamsheet we see next season in the Championship will not have one name from tonights starting 11. We will bank upwards of £160m from the sales of Grealish, McGinn, Mings, Wesley, Luis, El Ghazi, Treseguet, Lansbury and whoever else we can get rid of, plus what we get from parachute payments. First one through the door will be Lolley and I'd try and get Pukki from Norwich as well. There will be a new manager too, one with more ideas about tactics, who will vary formations and starting line ups to make it harder for opposing managers to plan their strategies against us, making us harder to beat. The rebuilding process should see us showing the exit door to the vast majority of this shower of crap. Its going to be another 2 seasons of 2nd tier football because I don't think FFP will give us the wiggle room to drastically overhaul the entire squad in one go and spend all the money recieved from sales plus further investment from the owners. If by some miracle we can get back up at the first time of asking then hopefully we won't be buying substandard rubbish like we did this time around.

I love this deluded idea from some Villa fans I've spoken that we'll sack Dean Smith and hire some unicorn of a manager who is essentially the Championship version of Pep Guardiola but doesn't exist.

I'd like to think we put a run together to save our skins, but to be honest, there isn't any fight left in this team, and I can't see us scoring again let alone win another game. I've pretty much accepted our fate now.

I think probably the 2 biggest mistakes we've made this season was signing Trezeguet, that money plus a bit more should have gone into getting Benharma, but easy to say in hindsight. I think El Ghazi was also a mistake, we should have signed someone better, I think emotion of his goal in the final probably played more of a part there, but you could see he was too inconsistent in the Championship to make an impact in the PL for us. If only we had 2 wingers who could score and create something that would have been amazing!

Burrito - unless you can name other players available for the same fees or explain where the extra would come from - it's definitely hindsight mate.

El Ghazi, love or loath the glove wearing wimp is our 3rd highest goalscorer and our second highest assister.

Burrito - unless you can name other players available for the same fees or explain where the extra would come from - it's definitely hindsight mate.

El Ghazi, love or loath the glove wearing wimp is our 3rd highest goalscorer and our second highest assister.

Yeah true, you can argue this either way. Trez could have been our Mo Salah and this becomes a moot point. Equally we could have signed Benharma and he may have also turned out to be rubbish.

The biggest frustration I have with El Ghazi is his inconsistency, recently though he's just been non-existant.

I love this deluded idea from some Villa fans I've spoken that we'll sack Dean Smith and hire some unicorn of a manager who is essentially the Championship version of Pep Guardiola but doesn't exist.

I'd like to think we put a run together to save our skins, but to be honest, there isn't any fight left in this team, and I can't see us scoring again let alone win another game. I've pretty much accepted our fate now.

I think probably the 2 biggest mistakes we've made this season was signing Trezeguet, that money plus a bit more should have gone into getting Benharma, but easy to say in hindsight. I think El Ghazi was also a mistake, we should have signed someone better, I think emotion of his goal in the final probably played more of a part there, but you could see he was too inconsistent in the Championship to make an impact in the PL for us. If only we had 2 wingers who could score and create something that would have been amazing!
Or spent the Mings and Trezeguet money on Cahill, Benrahma, Gayle and Maupay? (and probably still have some money left over).