Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 55 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

Exactly mate wonder how many young uns these days who support Villa would started off in the third division like I did but I guess it's a different World to what we were bought up in Martin

Me and you started supporting Villa at the same time then mate. My first season going to VP was our first in division 3.

Those days in the old 3rd division were actually fun.
They are to this day still amongst the most memorable times for me watching Villa.
It was the start of the long walk back, with some fantastic away days at grounds all over the country, but especially in the north of England.
Fantastic supporters clubs and CIU clubs which were for the most part very welcoming.

They are to this day still amongst the most memorable times for me watching Villa.
It was the start of the long walk back, with some fantastic away days at grounds all over the country, but especially in the north of England.
Fantastic supporters clubs and CIU clubs which were for the most part very welcoming.
Some great memories. Rotherham was Chris Nicholls debut and he had a stinker. Met Chris at a charity game and he said that playing for the Villa overwhelmed him. We forget that these boys are human. Other crazy games included Shrews away,Notts County away and Wrexham away. We felt like marauding Vikings. Then Wembley was magnificent and the season after,a glorious promotion. Our mad, infuriating, beautiful football club, Aston Villa.

Some great memories. Rotherham was Chris Nicholls debut and he had a stinker. Met Chris at a charity game and he said that playing for the Villa overwhelmed him. We forget that these boys are human. Other crazy games included Shrews away,Notts County away and Wrexham away. We felt like marauding Vikings. Then Wembley was magnificent and the season after,a glorious promotion. Our mad, infuriating, beautiful football club, Aston Villa.
I am replying to you in the Memory Lane thread because JPA is pulling rank.:grinning:

Those stats are terrifying. Based on that we've had it. I hope for an improvement and that they come back from lockdown with a new spirit and bit of bottle but the chances don't look good.

When your tactics consistently expose poor defenders then it's not surprise we're so bad.

We don't have a single defender who is even mid-table quality.

Last edited:
Dean is quoted as saying that he has watched videos of all of our games so far this season. Why say that? Surely that is a bare minimum of what he should have done.

I would have expected/ hoped that our senior team of coaches would have been analysing anything and everything to identify how we can improve. That must go with the territory.

I think what he said is that he has watched them again.

I've watched a hell of a lot of Villa games and goals from back when we had a team, all different eras and the one thing that hit me was how bloody good we were at moving the ball forwards with speed and accuracy.
None of this pissing about playing it around the back 4, at walking pace
It was pinging around quickly and the aim was to create a chance, not to see how many fecking times we could pass the ball

I've watched a hell of a lot of Villa games and goals from back when we had a team, all different eras and the one thing that hit me was how bloody good we were at moving the ball forwards with speed and accuracy.
None of this pissing about playing it around the back 4, at walking pace
It was pinging around quickly and the aim was to create a chance, not to see how many fecking times we could pass the ball

Never been able to understand the matches we've played over the years (not so much under Dean I guess) where we've not even had one shot on target. What on earth did the players/managers think the purpose of the match was?