Staying Up, Going Down, You Decide! | Page 8 | Vital Football

Staying Up, Going Down, You Decide!

When Dean Smith came in, he had to work with what Bruce left him, ie a mess. managed to get a couple of players in, Mings etc,a few tweaks and got us promoted. Now he has the squad of players he wants, i think we could be in for a good season.

Still see anywhere between 8th and 14th.
Another striker and it would have been Euro places.
Hate Europe.
Bit too optimistic for me, but I think (injury/suspension/Kodjia to prove himself) another known scorer would make it closer to 8 than 14.

After the signings people have made and listening to all the BBC podcasts about the clubs, my favourites to go down in order of most to least likely are:

Norwich, Sheffield United, Crystal Palace, Newcastle, Burnley, Brighton, Southampton, Villa, Watford, Bournemouth

Everyone else is safe.

A lot will depend on injures and momentum, but I think mid-table at best. Likely 12th to 15th, without a major relegation worry.

The encouraging thing is that NSWE can afford to recruit in January if we have a couple of weak areas or injuries.

They have to go all out to stay up after seeing first hand how strong the Championship is. It has to be far easier to finish above 3 other Premier League teams to stay up, than finishing above 22 other Championship teams to gain promotion.

Let's not forget, we are one of the bookies favourites to get relegated and playoff winners generally struggle.

Similarities to Fulham:
We came late into the playoff positions
We won the final
We had a churn of players
We spent over 100mil

We can justify why we are different to Fulham, but only results will truly show the differences. I'm sure Fulham fans went into the season with genuine optimism.

I am under no illusions that we have an uphill battle this season. We all need to keep the faith and support the team. The stats may say we'll struggle, my heart says we'll have more in common with Wolves than with Fulham. Role on Saturday. :utv:

Listening to one of his podcasts the other day and he said how much he regretted how it went for him at Villa. Spoke so highly of GT and felt that he had kind of let him down.
He also said that he only had a hand full of friends who were football players.... most of them that he mentioned were ex Villa.

12th-16th for me - 12th much more likely if we'd got a proper striker which I'm yet to be convinced of.

I think/hope a solid looking defence will stop us losing too many games but it's very early days of course and an injury to either Engels or Mings makes me wobbly back there straight away - I really don't rate Chester though he may be better with a good DM in front of him.

If the team spirit stays good, and it looked great on Saturday, then I'd expect these first dozen games to be the toughest for us results-wise so there's likely a challenge for everyone to keep their nerve in 2019 and, especially, for the VP crowd to stay positive no matter what happens.

Former Aston Villa striker Chris Sutton had an interesting playing career, with good spells at Norwich City, Blackburn Rovers and Celtic being the standout periods of his career. Having spent time at Birmingham City and hardly pulled up any trees, Martin O’Neill raised a few eyebrows when he brought him to us – the spell wasn’t a great success and he did have to retire from the game following vision problems.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...ment-as-he-over-eggs-our-start-to-the-season/

He must be taking a week off from winding up rangers fans and us trying his hand at annoying fans from a proper league instead.

I'm amazed at how many don't seem to do any homework, surely they know they are going to get called out and ridiculed?

You'd have to wonder if he even watched the matches. None of what he has said there tallies with reality.